Driving Through Illinois

Driving Through Illinois

This is a discussion on Driving Through Illinois within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So do I have to put my Gun in the trunk when getting through Ill? Sounds like a drag to get pulled over in Illinois?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Through Illinois

Driving Through Illinois

So do I have to put my Gun in the trunk when getting through Ill?

Sounds like a drag to get pulled over in Illinois?

No,
    the law states according to their own pamplet that the firearm needs to be:
    1. Enclosed in a case and,
    2. Unloaded and,
    3. Not easily accessible.

The pamplet also says you can put the ammo in the case with the gun.
    Not easily accessible, to me means, locked. Which a recent IL Supreme Court ruling states that lockable center concolse is the same as a case.

Here's what I do and it seems to be fine.
    Put unload pistol, put pistol and shells in the case, its a plastic case so I lock it with one of those cable locks and put the cable around the post of my passenger front seat of my work van.

check these links:
    Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions
    or
    The law from their website. See Article 24
    or the brochure: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/9-049.pdf
    A lack of preparation on your part does not and will not constitute an emergency on mine.

E.A.A. Windicator 2" .357/.38 revolver
    CHP carrier since Oct. 15, 2009

hmmmm guess I have to buy a case.

Just got rid of my CZ75 that had a case.

Bought a Taurus M85 UL.......no case.

Even one of those cheap zipper cases will work.
    But I have a cheap $4 plastic case.
    A lack of preparation on your part does not and will not constitute an emergency on mine.

I believe that there was a recent court case in IL that was won... determining that the center console in a vehicle constitutes a "case". The firearms must still be unloaded and the ammunition stored in a separate area.

Illinois Supreme Court Rules Vehicle Console is a case - ICarry.org

Info about transporting loaded mags... If you're from out of IL you do not need an IL FOID. You only need to be legal in your own state...

http://www.gsldefensetraining.com/im...inglegally.pdf

Just read that pdf, local ordinances can be tougher than Illinois state law...so..even if you have that weapon locked up, disassembled etc and the little burg you stop to get food in has an ordinance forbidding firearms in automobiles you can still get yourself in hot water.
    Good reason NOT to travel through Illinois!
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

agree with that... to be safe in IL... have your gun in a case, unloaded, and unavailable to you.

IL gun laws definitely suck, try living here. Good luck in your travels, and be safe.

Simple solution: Don't drive through Illinois. Drive around it. Don't go into Illinois, don't spend any money there, do use their roads, don't give their corrupt state police any chance to pull you over and confiscate your gun.

Don't do business with any business or state that denies it's citizens their God given right of self defense!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Your firearm can be unloaded accompanied by loaded magazines in your glove box or center console. Neither of which must be locked, but must have working latches. All that really matters is that the gun is unloaded and inside a container that either zips up or fastens in some way so that no part of the gun is exposed. Ammo does not have to be in a separate area than the firearm.
    The location of ammunition
    being transported, including ammunition being
    transported in loaded magazines, is not regulated if the
    firearm is possessed or transported lawfully.
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

See some of my responses in this thread for some more info.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...peeps-too.html

Transporting your firearms legally through Illinois is not that bad, really. You just have to watch out for where guns are banned, like Chicago. If you are going to drive through Chicago you can legally transport a handgun through the city but you better lock it up in a case in the trunk and don't stop until you are outside city limits. Then put the gun back in the glove box. :)

I try to stay away from Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin,but I have relatives in Iowa
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The last time my journey included IL, I spent the extra money in gas to drive around the state...that's just me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll share a short story, I was pulled over for an out taillight a couple of years ago driving through IL. I have a .22 rifle in the back of my truck in a case and the ammo was in my glovebox. I was touring the country and had been driving for over a month and was on my way home. When he pulled me over he looked in the back of my truck through the cap window and saw I had it completly loaded with gear etc... having out of state plates on my truck and telling him I was just driving around with really no destination just touring the country (bad move) he figured I was up to something. He asked if he could look in the truck and I told him that was fine and that there was a rifle in a case back there. Well he flipped out when he found the rifle and told me I got caught in the wrong state with a weapon. Anyway he ran the serial # threatened me with some stupid empty threats and gave me back the gun. We sat and waited for another officer to arrive and assess the situation. They couldn't do anything to me legally because it was in a case away from the ammo but it was a hassle and I got a lecture from an ******* that I didn't need. All that for a .22 rifle.

Moral of the story, I would never want to get pulled over with a handgun in IL after going through all that for a small rifle. Also don't tell a power trip LEO that your driving around without a destination just camping and seeing the sites. No matter how far out of my way I have to go to get around IL I will. I hate that state and will not give my money to any place that denies it's citizens it's rights. Like said above, don't go there, don't spend any money there, stay out!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goab View Post
    Even one of those cheap zipper cases will work.
    This is right.

The only reason I stay up on this is due to the fact that I live in a border City and have travel over to Quincy, IL once or more a week and need to be in compliance with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The last time my journey included IL, I spent the extra money in gas to drive around the state...that's just me.
    Good Morning Ret..... As you may remember I travel frequently from CO to visit family in Florida. I usually go down through the TX panhandle, then across OK and on to FL. On occasion I head out of CO on I70 through KS and MO. This route takes me through about one mile of the tip of IL near Cairo, IL.

When you say you drive around IL what route are you taking.... assuming your destination is somewhere west of IL...

Ignore typos, etc..... this senior citizen is still on the first cup of coffee.... We will be in the Sunshine State sometime in March... Should feel good...... It is now 7 degrees here at the house..

Thanks Fastdraw..........

Oh yes........ for all you gunnies I just did a Google Earth on Cairo... Sort of interesting to see the two bridges at the southern tip of IL

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links