Falling crime statistics ... related to CC laws?

This is a discussion on Falling crime statistics ... related to CC laws? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know about the rest of you, but in recent weeks I've read several newspaper stories about criminal activity dropping off significantly in recent ...

Thread: Falling crime statistics ... related to CC laws?

I don't know about the rest of you, but in recent weeks I've read several newspaper stories about criminal activity dropping off significantly in recent years, DESPITE the anticipated uptick from a lousy economy and desperate people.

One story about LEO deaths being down in 2009 even cited an unlikely source: the Brady group, and mentioned that it might be partially due to the relaxed Concealed Carry laws with more armed citizens. The most recent story cited all kinds of speculation but didn't mention the increasing number of CC permits and people carrying.

Personally, while I lean to the left on many issues, I tend to believe that we are paying witness to a phenomenon predicted by the NRA and other pro-gun groups ... that violent and property crime would begin to fall when potential perpetrators started to realize they might encounter an armed person willing to end their lives.

Any thoughts on this subject?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

I noted the same thing and made the same connection. I'm hoping to see more discussion on the subject.

Nashville Tn just ran a story on the news about how crime rates have went way down, the Chief of Police took alot of the credit, but I like to think that the legally armed citizen had a little to do with the crime rate to.

Maybe not, but I still think we are playing a part.

VIP Member
    At the very least, the anti-gun argument that more guns equals more violence cannot be supported by the facts. More guns in good hands may be contributing to less violent crime. However, because crime rates are dependent upon many variables, I would hesitate to tie them solely to the recent, unprecedented surge in gun purchases or permit holders. What matters is how much safer you are as an individual when you have more defensive options. The goal of mind set development and skill at arms is to reduce your personal risk of being victimized. In hard times, it is intuitive to suppose that the population and appetites of predators will increase. If more and more permit holders greatly reduce the crime they suffer, and crime rates drop but a little, there must be another poor, defenseless, offsetting group which is indeed suffering from a great rise in violence.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Absolutely, but try to get the Anti's to admit it.

I can't imagine criminal across the country studying the statistics of how many guns are in civilian hands and deciding how many violent crimes to commit based upon those studies. Therefore I doubt that the reduced incidence of violent crimes are the result of civilians simply purchasing guns.

On the other hand, it's clear that having more guns in civilian hands does not lead inexorably to more gun crime.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

More Guns = Less Crime

Taking guns away from victims never makes safer victims.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It could be any number of factors, one of which could be concealed carry. I am sure the epidemiologists, statisticians and criminologists will all construct their own versions.

Don't forget Guliani took credit for the decrease in NYC crime rates when many argued it was mere fortuitous circumstance.

As Retsupt99 says...........

Taking guns away from victims never makes safer victims

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    I can't imagine criminal across the country studying the statistics of how many guns are in civilian hands and deciding how many violent crimes to commit based upon those studies. Therefore I doubt that the reduced incidence of violent crimes are the result of civilians simply purchasing guns.

On the other hand, it's clear that having more guns in civilian hands does not lead inexorably to more gun crime.
    Sure criminals know more folks are armed. They are changing thier tactics. That's why we are seeing more robberies at gun free zones.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Funny, I was just reading about this yesterday. Pick up a copy of Freakonomics. According to the authors, the decline in the crime rate (despite all predictions that it would rise) isn't due to gun control, more police, or the economy. The national downturn in crime is primarily due to... Roe v. Wade.

Sad as it is, Roe v. Wade caused a decrease in the population most at risk for becoming criminals. Since it was enacted in 1973, there was a decline starting in the 90's as the population would have been in it's prime.

I'm only got through the first few chapters of my brother's copy yesterday, but it's definitely worth reading. It's an interesting commentary on our morals v. our behavior.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Wow! Roe v. Wade? That's about the second or third time I've heard that theory and it makes some sense, when you think about it because an unwanted child can very easily turn into a bitter young adult and, perhaps, get even more bitter as he/she matures.

Another factor up on the wall is the aging of the population. More of us are over 40 or 50, which results in fewer people willing to take the risk or seek the excitement of crime, especially violent crime.

Really, this is all a major social experiment played out on the world's stage, but I like my position better now with a CCP and experience with self defense weapons of some kind.

Whether it will make a difference in the end, who knows! At least you can exercise some control over violent people who might try to force their will upon yourself and/or your loved ones.

Keep the peace and keep safe.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Sponsored Links