My comfortable snub nose - Page 3

My comfortable snub nose

This is a discussion on My comfortable snub nose within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tabraha Love my 340PD! I started with a Taurus Total Titanium 85 and love both although the 340 gets the nod for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My comfortable snub nose

Quote Originally Posted by tabraha View Post
    Love my 340PD! I started with a Taurus Total Titanium 85 and love both although the 340 gets the nod for EDC. I have an XD40SC I carry frequently but the 340PD just disappears completely with just about anything I wear.

The only thing that has reduced the 340PD's carry time and increased my XD's time is my Crossbreed holster for the XD and the fact that it's now cold. I can hide the larger frame alot easier but I bet when it gets hot again the 340 will come back out to play.
    I agree 100%. My 340PD goes with me most of the time.
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

My usual EDC is a Colt Defender .45 in a FIST OWB holster or MTAC IWB holster; its what I am wearing right now. However, on hot days or days where I am wearing dress slacks and shirt the S&W 340 or 642 goes in one of the pockets instead.... if I haven't put the Keltec P3AT in there first!

I definitely prefer the Defender, but sometimes the smaller snubbie or Keltec is more practical.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

I own bigger guns but found that I rarely carried them. Now I carry 642 or 637 (for short pockets)in Nemesis in right front pocket all the time. I have to run out to the store in a hurry wearing jeans and a light shirt too many times to fool around with big complicated rigs. I am not going to fit my life around the gun, the gun has to fit my life. I am not saying it is right for everybody but it sure works for me! And oh yeah, unless I am in one of the forbidden zones I am armed!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I use an ankle holster for my snubnose revolvers a good deal of the time, because I am in numerous situations during the week where "frightening the horses" is a real concern. I have never been comfortable with a tuckable IWB (although standard IWB is what I prefer). The ankle holster is not tactically ideal, but is better than a firearm in the safe. It just works for me.

I am often wearing a shirt, tie, and slacks in those "horse-frightening" situations, so the ankle holster is a viable alternative. YMMV.
    Just curious, Why don't you like the tuckable IWB?

I have a Split Decision from High Noon and find it conceals my snub nose under a dress shirt just fine. No one has ever noticed the belt clip.

Interestingly for some reason it seems to stay put better when I wear it tucked. I have a spare tire to deal with and my belt wants to ride down a little even with no gun. With the shirt tucked I think the holster actually pinches the shirt material a little and the shirt carrys a little of the weight of the gun. It just seems to actually work better tucked, then just covering the gun. The only drawback would be a more difficult draw when the shirt is tucked.

I carry my j-frame in a IWB akj concealco holster, very comfortable. I also on occassion carry a colt Det. Spcl., not as often since aquiring my chiefs special.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Just curious, Why don't you like the tuckable IWB?

I have a Split Decision from High Noon and find it conceals my snub nose under a dress shirt just fine. No one has ever noticed the belt clip.

Interestingly for some reason it seems to stay put better when I wear it tucked. I have a spare tire to deal with and my belt wants to ride down a little even with no gun. With the shirt tucked I think the holster actually pinches the shirt material a little and the shirt carrys a little of the weight of the gun. It just seems to actually work better tucked, then just covering the gun. The only drawback would be a more difficult draw when the shirt is tucked.
    Tuckable just hasn't felt very comfortable to me. I too have a Split Decision (Glock Model 30) which I purchased with a view to tucking it, but just didn't like the feature. I do use it for standard IWB and have been very satisfied with it in that mode. I think it just boils down to a personal preference. Unfortunately, High Noon does not currently list D-Frame and K-Frame Split Decisions...I might like tuckable for the revolvers, but the Glock--no.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    Taurus 651ti for the pocket and 415ti for the woods...gotta love those snubbies. There is absolutely nothing faster drawn from a front pocket. But when you get long in the tooth, you get short in the recollection. Now which darn pocket did I put that in?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I can't disagree too much with the general consensus here. I love my S&W
    Model 60, stainless, 3" barrel. I'm pretty small framed, and I wear clothes that fit (not into the saggy, baggy look), so it's still not as concealable as a true snubbie or a pocket auto, but it's much easier to carry than my Glock 17.

I've got three different Uncle Mike's holsters that fit it pretty well. I originally bought an ankle holster, but with the 3" barrel, it's a bit big for ankle carry. Besides the fact that I wear western boots most days, so ankle carry is less than ideal. It's pretty comfortable in an open top neoprene-type IWB worn SOB, but I can feel the cylinder when driving, and SOB is a poor draw when in a vehicle. My preferred method, however, is with a nylon belt slide/hip-holster at the 4 o'clock carry. It snugs up really nicely and the grips lay flat against my lower kidney area.

Decided that the .357s are a bit too abusive in a J-frame and I get better groups with +P .38s. Started carrying Speer Gold-Dots when I was a cop and never saw a reason to carry anything else. My uncle who works for Hornady keeps saying I should try their Critical Defense. I told him, "how 'bout you get me some free samples..." Haven't heard anything else from him. *dang*

I always tell my students that it's hard to go wrong with a S&W snubby.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Taurus 617 - 7 shot - .357 cal. Comfy and reliable.
    Man, I'd use my 100% of the time if they ever made a crimson laser grip for it. Revolver is so much more comfortable for me in my carry mode (smart carry), I'm half tempted to get a set that kinda fit and see what my dremil drill can do.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    My name is Laura and I am addicted to snubbies. Here are two with the bigger brother:

The next one arrives on Tuesday.
    Caution, they are like Lay's Potato Chips, you can't have just one
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    My name is Laura and I am addicted to snubbies.
    (All: Hi Laura...) Looks like you're working on 'Step 4'...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    (All: Hi Laura...) Looks like you're working on 'Step 4'...
    Does a 4 inch barrel on a .44 count?

Make that step 5
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

My name is BugDude...and I have 3 snubbies. Truth is, I want another one in 357 magnum. It's a disease.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

S & w 442

every beginning collection needs a snubbie..or so I've read, somewhere.
    Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links