My comfortable snub nose

This is a discussion on My comfortable snub nose within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the last few days I have been dreaming of a Model 686 Plus Revolver - 3", 7 Shot. I dare not since I just ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My comfortable snub nose

Over the last few days I have been dreaming of a Model 686 Plus Revolver - 3", 7 Shot. I dare not since I just got my M&P 40C a month ago. Between the ammo and range time for my M&P if I bought another now I think I would need to look for a new wife. To bad she isn't into guns at all.

2. Remove Ads

My snubs are Colt Detective Spl and Colt Cobra, it's alloy twin, both around 1964 vintage. They shoot 6.

Here's a Colt Cobra in action: (notice second finger is used to pull the trigger. His forefinger tip had previously been amputated.)
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    Over the last few days I have been dreaming of a Model 686 Plus Revolver - 3", 7 Shot. I dare not since I just got my M&P 40C a month ago. Between the ammo and range time for my M&P if I bought another now I think I would need to look for a new wife. To bad she isn't into guns at all.
    I would refer you to the forum thread called "Boil the Frog." You might get some ideas about how to gently coax her to become "into guns."
    Dan Hammond
    NRA Instructor
    KS CCH Instructor
    US Army (Ret)

I just purchased my first snub-nosed revolver. I need to take it for a test drive.

My biggest justification for it is to use it for CCH instruction. I have several semiautos to show different actions (SA, SA/DA, DAO), but until this purchase I didn't have my own revolver. Now I do!
    Dan Hammond
    NRA Instructor
    KS CCH Instructor
    US Army (Ret)

Here's a pic of my favorite Snubbie: early 60s S&W 49 "Bodyguard". It has character. I've got a 442 I carry a lot, but this old school snub is my favorite. A little heavier, a lot of carry wear, smoother action and more fun to shoot. Like a pair of old comfortable house shoes. I want a set of old wood S&W grips to put on my 442 just because I like the feel of the small old school wood grips.

Rubba dub dub, and old man and his snub....
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Mine is a Ruger LCR in a Bianchi IWB. This is my first carry and works well. I am cleaning at night and have it on me, bending over, reaching, and all that fun stuff. Alot of the time forget that it is there.

My 442

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Here's a pic of my favorite Snubbie: early 60s S&W 49 "Bodyguard". It has character.
    Great looking gun. Think of the history. My Colt Detective and Colt Cobra have the same "feel" for me, 1960s, Detective is stamped with a "NFPD" and number on the hilt - must be a real "Detective's" gun.

And boy, both of these shoot so very nice with great accuracy - and they hold 6.

My Detective and my deal of a life-time Colt Python, $439:
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Great looking gun. Think of the history. My Colt Detective and Colt Cobra have the same "feel" for me, 1960s, Detective is stamped with a "NFPD" and number on the hilt - must be a real "Detective's" gun.

And boy, both of these shoot so very nice with great accuracy - and they hold 6.

My Detective and my deal of a life-time Colt Python, $439:
    Sweet guns!!! Wouldn't ya like to know the history? Mine was the personal EDC pocket gun of the gun dealer I bought it from for many years, but I have no idea before that. I've got a H&R 922 snub that was my childhood pastor's nightstand gun. He died at age 94 a couple of years ago. I even got several boxes of moldy 22 rounds with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have several snubbies and have for decades, from my huge stainless SW 624 44spcl weighing in at 2.5 lbs empty all the way down to my latest acquisition a Ruger LCR w/CTL 38+P at just 13.5 oz. The LCR has become my daily carry when at work, ultra light and hides very well, but from time to time I still like to carry my SW 624 in an OWB holster in the colder months when I can keep it covered well. Although I do carry “speedstrips” with my snubbies, when I feel a true need for high-capacity without having to reload, I carry my early model Glock 17 with 17+1.
    Last edited by ZRow1; January 9th, 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Mine is my 3rd Model DS.

I have a 4" Python, too. Bought it used in the mid-70s for $350. It belonged to a Longview, Texas police officer who sold it because he felt it was inferior to his M&P M10.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Does a 4 inch barrel on a .44 count?

Make that step 5
    Nope..."most" consider revolvers with 3" or less to be a snubbies, like my 3" SW 624 .44 that I use as my avatar. But some snubbie fanatics even like to draw the line at 2". I wouldn't take it that far, but to each their own.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I have a 4" Python, too. Bought it used in the mid-70s for $350. It belonged to a Longview, Texas police officer who sold it because he felt it was inferior to his M&P M10
    Now THAT'S chutzpah!

Yes, for awhile the Python was a policeman's gun. Now you have to sell your home to get one.

I'd LOVE a 2 1/2" ! The 4" is a tough carry and I usually don't.

And if I owned a 3" I could sell it and retire!

Love my Taurus 605. As others have said everyone needs a good snub nose.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links