Why we don't blindly jump in ...

This is a discussion on Why we don't blindly jump in ... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having a hard and fast rule about "always/never" jumping in is just foolish. There are probably plenty of horror stories on each side, and plenty ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why we don't blindly jump in ...

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Having a hard and fast rule about "always/never" jumping in is just foolish. There are probably plenty of horror stories on each side, and plenty of happy endings for each as well. If you have enough common sense to carry responsibly, then you have enough common sense to act responsibly when faced with a situation like that.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    He was stabbed in the hand with a set of keys.
    What? That's it? Pretty mild if you ask me.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

On the way to work one morning with the wife, saw a man tailgating a woman CLOSE, basically playing tag with her and being a boar. He got her to pull off I-94 in Ann Arbor, I pulled off in front of both of their cars and just watched him (before I had my CPL). About 1 minute passed then he just peeled away, then she left. I hope I stopped a road rage incident from escalating, but who knows for sure.

Just to make it interesting, as I suspect a lot of LEOs would tell you, you also have to worry about the woman potentially turning on you once you confront her "beloved." It's a very common occurrence.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=nutz4utwo;1424385]Yea, me too. I would want to assist depending on how bad the assault was. If it was fairly benign, I would call 911, watch, and write down his license plate #. If she was in danger of serious injury I would be more compelled to put myself at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by xoolo View Post
    good time for OC spray, I wouldn't stand by and watch either, but with out being there I don't know what my action would be

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I don't see this as a reason "not to" get involved in a bad situation, just be real careful about doing it and realize what you are getting into in that given situation. Even if this was a "domestic" situation.

I've inserted myself into a couple of situations .... that were domestic. One was on the highway, and the guy stopped the car on the side of the road... pulled the woman out of the car and was pummeling her... I thought he would kill her (seriously). I pulled up, told him to STOP and was already on the phone with 911... and when he realized that, he came for me. I was prepared for that (unarmed at the time) and it got a bit wild... he was a crazy man gone completely off the deep end.

It ended up stopping all traffic, but ... his attention was on me instead of her, we now had numerous witnesses, and 911 had been called upfront and when they heard the stuff going on (couldn't really talk to them but they were still on the phone) .... they hurried up about getting police there. In the meantime, I was able to come out of it unhurt.

It ended up he had thrown her in the car and told her that he was going to take her out in the country to kill her, and seemed to have that intent (had weapons, etc. in the trunk). He had her and a 4 yr old kid with him.. and she said something that really set him off worse and he wasn't going to wait until he was out in the country. He was arrested on "attempted murder".

She was rather happy about it though, and couldn't quit telling me "if you hadn't have done that, I would have been dead.... " . Same thing the police told me too. He had been keeping a knife to her throat in the car and cut her some and beaten her fairly well prior to that point.

I'm just glad that now I can legally 'carry'.
    ^^^^WoW^^^^^^ These things Happen!!!

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man: brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
    Mark Twain
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I know it has been said by many others, but as for me, Im not one to just sit and watch an innocent person get assaulted. I wouldn't go out of my way to look for people to help either. But Im just the type of person who cannot stand violent people who prey upon the weak.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I see a man assaulting a woman in a car and I'm calling 911 while I stop and get out at a safe distance while ordering him to stop,after several repeated warnings I will draw and order him to stop or I 'll shoot,I'm disabled and can't go hands on with anyone,but I won't stand by while some guy beats or kills a woman(Texas Law allows me to come to the aid of a third party)
    which could very well turn the situation into a hostage shield...and while he chokes the life out of her you get to aim a loaded gun at her...

2 people in close quarters in a physical altercation...are you confident enough that you could pick one of them out and shoot them without injuring the other?...these arent paper targets at the range...they are real moving people...are you confident that the woman (his wife in this scenario) wouldnt press charges for shooting her husband who in most instances did hit her but not hurt her that badly?...

are you certain you know who the aggressor is?...and who is defending themselves?...

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Kind of curious how you fought him, and how the police responded when they got there, etc.
    I didn't fight him, I got creative. LOL.

When he came at me and I knew he had tunnel vision on me, I just kept walking backwards towards my truck as he screamed and threatened to kill me. I was hoping others were hearing what he was saying. When he finally ran toward me, I just jumped in my truck and backed up on the highway (intentionally blocking traffic --- to cause others to call 911 as well). I was yelling at the 911 dispatcher while backing up in the truck to hurry up and get someone there and telling them what was going on. When he turned his attention back to her and headed her way, I pulled the truck forward toward him and got out.... got his attention by several different means (LOL) ... and repeated the whole scenario again ( about 8 times all together). Finally, I remembered a baseball bat I had behind the seat, got out with that in my hand (amazed police were not already there because a lot of time passed) and he brought out the knife.

As I was considering the idea of introducing the baseball bat to his head if he got to close with that knife .... a siren, red lights, and Police car came roaring thru the highway median and onto the scene. He he ran like mad to his car, jumped in, and squealed off. The chase was "ON", and immediately 2 other cars entered the scene... 1 stopped with 'us' and the other joined the chase.

Later learned that he had a loaded shotgun & rifle in the trunk and never went for them....

I always wondered what trama that 4 yr old had from that entire incident and daddy trying to kill mommy (living together - not legally married). She had a lot of knife 'cuts' on the arms, neck, torso, etc. and was fairly bruised all over (1 eye swollen shut, mouth, face, arms, neck, etc. ). She took an ambulance ride to the hospital. He went away a long time when they caught him a few miles down the road.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Just to make it interesting, as I suspect a lot of LEOs would tell you, you also have to worry about the woman potentially turning on you once you confront her "beloved." It's a very common occurrence.
    You are so correct. I call 911. Trying to be a hero in this country can land you in jail or broke.

Those crazy vermonters

We only have about 1 murder a year here but lots of sexual assault etc...I guess everyone up here is pretty horny.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Majorlk: You answered your question in your own question, which is obvious. When you are blind--da da da da da da.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Seriously, I love threads like this as theyíre always thought provoking, and make me stop and think. Most of my life I worked in the service of others, so it was always natural for me to jump right in. Today Iím older, less physically fit and hopefully a bit wiser. I have learned that people are far more brazen and unpredictable. Likewise, Iím armed, so any intervention on my part will place my gun in close proximity to whatever I volunteer to do.

Summation: I have to ask myself and satisfy my concerns, of unintended consequences to my well-intended efforts.
    Regards,
    Very well put. I concur 100%
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    A good friend of mine was in a bar and a man and woman were arguing loudly. It escalated into shoving and swinging at each other. So, my buddy (who is 6-4) steps between them and tells them to calm down.
    So, the woman (5-2) sucker punched my buddy and told him to mind his own business.

Interviene for a stranger? NO! Call the LEOs, Yes.
    Nowdays, a LOT of people conceal carry, wether legally or not.

Lucky it was not his eyes! People have been trained to stab a guy in the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Having a hard and fast rule about "always/never" jumping in is just foolish. There are probably plenty of horror stories on each side, and plenty of happy endings for each as well. If you have enough common sense to carry responsibly, then you have enough common sense to act responsibly when faced with a situation like that.
    This.^
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links