Why we don't blindly jump in ...

This is a discussion on Why we don't blindly jump in ... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following is a perfect example of why one should not blindly jump into a situation: Associated Press Saturday, December 26, 2009 WILDER, Vt. — ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we don't blindly jump in ...

Why we don't blindly jump in ...

The following is a perfect example of why one should not blindly jump into a situation:

Associated Press
    Saturday, December 26, 2009

WILDER, Vt. — Police say a Good Samaritan who stopped at what he thought was a car accident ended up getting stabbed in the hand by a man who had just rammed into his wife's car.

The Barre Times Argus reports that Thomas Bleeks of Norwich was heading home from work Wednesday night when he came upon two cars stopped on an Interstate 91 onramp. He told police he saw a man assaulting a woman in one of the cars, and when he reached in to stop him, was stabbed in the hand with a set of keys.

Twenty-two-year-old Alexey Mameav of Quechee was charged with drunken driving, domestic assault and five other charges.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

wow, some people.....

I've got to admit...

I'd do an assessment of the situation, which it sounds like the good guy may have done; barring some overwhelming threat, I think I'd have felt compelled to assist too.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper2501 View Post
    I'd do an assessment of the situation, which it sounds like the good guy may have done; barring some overwhelming threat, I think I'd have felt compelled to assist too.
    Yea, me too. I would want to assist depending on how bad the assault was. If it was fairly benign, I would call 911, watch, and write down his license plate #. If she was in danger of serious injury I would be more compelled to put myself at risk.

I came across a domestic violence assault last year (while in my car) and was a good witness. BG was arrested and everything worked out for the best.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I see a man assaulting a woman in a car and I'm calling 911 while I stop and get out at a safe distance while ordering him to stop,after several repeated warnings I will draw and order him to stop or I 'll shoot,I'm disabled and can't go hands on with anyone,but I won't stand by while some guy beats or kills a woman(Texas Law allows me to come to the aid of a third party)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Like I would stand by while some woman is being assaulted..... Good on him.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

good time for OC spray, I wouldn't stand by and watch either, but with out being there I don't know what my action would be

stabbed with keys? how do you even put yourself in the position to get stabbed in the hand with keys?

I don't see this as a reason "not to" get involved in a bad situation, just be real careful about doing it and realize what you are getting into in that given situation. Even if this was a "domestic" situation.

I've inserted myself into a couple of situations .... that were domestic. One was on the highway, and the guy stopped the car on the side of the road... pulled the woman out of the car and was pummeling her... I thought he would kill her (seriously). I pulled up, told him to STOP and was already on the phone with 911... and when he realized that, he came for me. I was prepared for that (unarmed at the time) and it got a bit wild... he was a crazy man gone completely off the deep end.

It ended up stopping all traffic, but ... his attention was on me instead of her, we now had numerous witnesses, and 911 had been called upfront and when they heard the stuff going on (couldn't really talk to them but they were still on the phone) .... they hurried up about getting police there. In the meantime, I was able to come out of it unhurt.

It ended up he had thrown her in the car and told her that he was going to take her out in the country to kill her, and seemed to have that intent (had weapons, etc. in the trunk). He had her and a 4 yr old kid with him.. and she said something that really set him off worse and he wasn't going to wait until he was out in the country. He was arrested on "attempted murder".

She was rather happy about it though, and couldn't quit telling me "if you hadn't have done that, I would have been dead.... " . Same thing the police told me too. He had been keeping a knife to her throat in the car and cut her some and beaten her fairly well prior to that point.

I'm just glad that now I can legally 'carry'.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've inserted myself into a couple of situations .... One was on the highway...
    Kind of curious how you fought him, and how the police responded when they got there, etc.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Like I would stand by while some woman is being assaulted..... Good on him.
    What if the woman was beating the crap out of the man?

I'll remain a good witness...one just never knows all the facts.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What if the woman was beating the crap out of the man?
    Start selling tickets!!!

Seriously though, caution and prudence are always a good idea.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

My high school buddy's father was shot and killed for trying to stop a couple of guys from raping a young girl.

Something to think about...
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    Seriously, I love threads like this as they’re always thought provoking, and make me stop and think. Most of my life I worked in the service of others, so it was always natural for me to jump right in. Today I’m older, less physically fit and hopefully a bit wiser. I have learned that people are far more brazen and unpredictable. Likewise, I’m armed, so any intervention on my part will place my gun in close proximity to whatever I volunteer to do.

Summation: I have to ask myself and satisfy my concerns, of unintended consequences to my well-intended efforts.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Definitely assess the situation and take whatever action you deem necessary. For some that's calling the cops for some that's intervening physically if no weapons are present after assessing the situation as stated. If you are armed as in Texas you have the right to assist a 3rd party.

As a cop in the service I've assisted victims several times during domestic disputes and sometimes that turned out to be the woman beating the crap out of the service member and they couldn't hit back for fear of losing their careers, so it can happen for wierds reasons.

As far as the scenario presented, I would assist physically if that's what the situation called for.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links