Carrying two CCW guns legal?

This is a discussion on Carrying two CCW guns legal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Michigan is not technically a "one gun" state, but our law is vague in its wording. Most jurisdictions accept that multiple CCW is Ok, but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying two CCW guns legal?

VIP Member
    Michigan is not technically a "one gun" state, but our law is vague in its wording. Most jurisdictions accept that multiple CCW is Ok, but there are a very few prosecutors, most notably, Wayne County (Detroit) IIRC, that has stated that multiple carry guns will be prosecuted even if they are eventually thrown out of court.

I frankly don't understand how people can walk around without feeling nervous/uneasy/paranoid when using a OWB, or a IWB (non-tuckable), or a shoulder holster in public! Maybe it's just me…
    Everybody has a different comfort level regarding their carry. Personally, I carry 95% of the time strong-side OWB. "Full" concealment as you describe it is less than efficient in my mind. If I can not access my CCW is a swift and relatively easy manner, then it might as well be locked in a safe at home. Certainly there are times when a tucked IWB mode of carry is required, but for me those are rare.

To me concealed means concealed, not invisible.

Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

2. Remove Ads

well here in Tn, you can carry more than one..

In Texas there is not limit, that I am aware of, on the number of guns that can be carried concealed by a CHL holder.

There is a restriction. If you tested with a revolver (.38 or larger) you can only carry a revolver(s). If you tested with a semi-automatic (9mm or larger) then you can carry any number and/or combination of semi-automatic(s) and revolver(s).

I have carried a PT-111 (9mm) and a Model 85 (.38 SPL) at the same time.

I've heard there are some changes to the testing allowing testing with a caliber smaller than 9mm/.38 but I'm not sure of that. But I also believe the rules changed a year or so ago allowing the carry of calibers smaller than 9mm/.38.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Yeppers - that is confirmed! We can only carry one pistol concealed. We are also an open carry state so a person can carry one concealed and one open. Additionally, we can only carry (concealed) the caliber/class or lower that's on our permit (i.e., semi-auto, .45 or less; revolver, .45 or less).
    This may be a little OT, but is in regards to the caliber requirement of NM as stated above.

NM honors my NC permit which has no caliber requirements, I can qualify with a .22 LR revolver and carry a .45 ACP as my carry weapon. I qualified with a S&W .22LR revolver and I carry a 9mm and a .380 ACP. So I under stand that in NM I can only carry one, but what calibers must I carry? The LEO, or anyone for that matter, would not know what I qualified with unless I told them as NC doesn't record that information.

Thanks.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    In Ga, carry the caliber you want and as many as you care to tote around. For me it usually my primary and my LCP as a BUG.
    Funny, isn't it. You can carry a pair of .500 Smiths on your belt, two .45s in a shoulder holster, a Glock small of the back, a snubbie on both ankles and a Keltec or NAA in every pocket and be arrested for the swiss army knife with a 3.1 inch(or shorter depending on the city or county) blade on your keychain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    I frankly don't understand how people can walk around without feeling nervous/uneasy/paranoid when using a OWB, or a IWB (non-tuckable), or a shoulder holster in public!
    Don't disparage ALL shoulder holsters. I agree that conventional shoulder holsters allow the gun to flop around, and don't really conceal well, except possibly under a very heavy and roomy jacket. But my homemade under-the-shirt holster conceals better than any alternative I've ever seen (at least, it does for my unusually small and light S&W360 scandium snubby...might not work so well for a larger, heavier gun, though).

Mike Fontenot

I really hope we change this law as it does not make sense. But then again, I think New Mexico just likes to be different for whatever reason. When we first got CC, Albuquerque, the largest city here, decided to opt out of CC. Then we went to court about the constitutionality about that, then we got CC again with a law that states no municipality can trump state law. But CC was only available to 25y/o or older so we didn't have reciprocity with any states since they issue at 21. We changed that, now we need to change this law, how are we MORE unsafe with 2 pistols compared to one? Good old New Mexico will keep ya guessing!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    In Ga, carry the caliber you want and as many as you care to tote around. For me it usually my primary and my LCP as a BUG.
    Same with Michigan^^^^^^^^^

I feel all the requirements and stipulations are sometimes well meaning but ridiculous, IMHO

"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk,
    we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
    When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all
    get drunk and go to heaven!"
    ~ Brian O'Rourke
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Here in Oklahoma you may qualify with Derringer, Revolver, or Semi Auto. Qualifying with a revolver allows you to carry the derringer, Qualifying with a Semi allows all three, however Caliber is restricted to .45 or under. No limits on how many guns you may carry however.

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    NM, hmmm, thought it was AZ, you're probably right, I knew it was one of those states. I think there's only one state. PA doesn't limit you to the number of guns you can carry, nor do they have a registry so you can carry anything that doesn't have to be connected to your LTCF.
    Not Arizona! Here you can cc a dozen guns in any callibur you want! If you could hide a BFR 45-70 revolver you could cc it!

Thats a 13 5/8" barrel
    Twin 1893 Colt New Army DA Revolvers .41 Long Colt
    Twin 1951 Ruger Black Label Mark I Target Pistols .22
    1964 7 3/8" - 8 7/8" S&W Model 41 US Olympic Target Pistol .22
    1968 2 1/2" - 6" Dan Wesson Model 12 .357
    1990 S&W Performance Center Model 4006
    1992 13 5/8" Phelps Heritage .45-70

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    Funny, isn't it. You can carry a pair of .500 Smiths on your belt, two .45s in a shoulder holster, a Glock small of the back, a snubbie on both ankles and a Keltec or NAA in every pocket and be arrested for the swiss army knife with a 3.1 inch(or shorter depending on the city or county) blade on your keychain.
    I thought the limit was a 4" knife...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Now about those gloves...
    I was always one to wear gloves, my tiny hands get cold easily. Since I started carrying, no more gloves for me, they just don't fit inside the trigger guard. My pockets are my gloves now.
    + 1 on no gloves. Of course I didn't usually wear gloves in Michigan before I started carrying, unless I planned on being outside for extended periods of time. Even then pockets are more comfortable than gloves for me. (add a snub nose in a pocket holster and the feeling is down right comforting ).

To the OP, being in Mississippi I would think you could get away with out the gloves. If you need to toughen up your hands come spend 4 months here in the great white north.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Michigan is not technically a "one gun" state, but our law is vague in its wording. Most jurisdictions accept that multiple CCW is Ok, but there are a very few prosecutors, most notably, Wayne County (Detroit) IIRC, that has stated that multiple carry guns will be prosecuted even if they are eventually thrown out of court.

I wasn't aware of this additude in Wayne County. Have there actually been any cases where a legal CPL holder was tried for carrying more than one gun? The statues have no limit in them and Michigan has preemptive status as far as I know so local laws cannot trump state law.

West Virginia doesn't restrict how many, what caliber or to a specific handgun.

We can carry as many as we need or want.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

No restrictions on how many can be carried here in Nevada, as long as they are listed on your carry permit.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links