People understand need for self-defense on airlines...

This is a discussion on People understand need for self-defense on airlines... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...and hopefully they'll start to realize that they are not only responsible for their own safety on airlines, but also in other arenas. Passenger tells ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People understand need for self-defense on airlines...

People understand need for self-defense on airlines...

...and hopefully they'll start to realize that they are not only responsible for their own safety on airlines, but also in other arenas.

Passenger tells of stopping terror suspect - Security- msnbc.com

"I don't think people are going to sit back and let somebody kill them in the process of fulfilling their extremist agenda or whatever it happens to be," said Dave Heffernan, who helps oversee self-defense training for commercial flight crews at Valenica Community College in Orlando, Fla. "People have talked about it. They've thought about it. They have a plan of action."
    Great! Now let's apply that to everyday life.

Aviation safety experts once would have called Schuringa's actions a mistake and cautioned passengers against fighting back during hijackings and other crises in the air. That was before the Sept. 11 attacks and the actions of passengers on United Flight 93, who learned while aloft about the hijacked jets that slammed earlier that day into New York's World Trade Center.
    Never trust "safety experts" who want to turn us into sheeple.

Schuringa joins the passengers on United 93 and others who have leapt into action to defend themselves aloft since 9/11. Just three months after the attacks, Briton Richard Reid was overpowered by passengers and crew members on a flight from Paris to Miami as he tried to ignite plastic explosives hidden in his shoes. A doctor onboard went so far as to inject the restrained Reid with a sedative.

Passengers aren't only responding to obvious acts of terror. In June, two off-duty officers handcuffed a traveler who took off his clothes and kicked and punched a flight attendant on a US Airways flight to Los Angeles from Charlotte, N.C. In April 2008, passengers duct-taped a drunken man to his seat after he attacked a United Airlines flight attendant on a trip to Los Angeles from Hong Kong.

"Aggressive intervention has become the new societal norm," said Bill Voss, an expert at the Flight Safety Foundation in Alexandria, Va.
    This is at it should always be.

Jennifer Allen, 41, of Shelby Township, Mich., arrived in Detroit on Saturday from Amsterdam on Saturday's Northwest 253.

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us," she said. "We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late."
    Yeah!

Another passenger, Richelle Keepman, 24, of Oconomowoc, Wis., said passengers were later interviewed by authorities and released from the airport. When Schuringa came through the area, "we were all clapping," she said.
    If only people could make the mental leap that not only should we defend ourselves on airlines, but also out in the street and in our homes. Whether you're blown up in an airplane or shot on the street, you are still dead.
    Last edited by Bm7b5; December 26th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

2. Remove Ads

Speaking of restraining someone on an airline, the story said they used duct tape. Is there something easier that you can bring on with you and use like zip ties?

I could not agree more.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Jennifer Allen showed the minset of the self defense community....

Jennifer Allen, 41, of Shelby Township, Mich., arrived in Detroit on Saturday from Amsterdam on Saturday's Northwest 253.

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us," she said. "We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late."
    Amen
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    zip ties?
    Perfect!

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Let me ask a question of the Jury of DCers.

When Eric Holder was asked if he would Interrogate Osama Bin Laden, he said that he already has enough to prosecute Bin Laden without interrogating him. Will Holder be interrogating this guy to see if more plots are planned by his friends in the next few days, or will he be allowed to lawyer up try to protect the prosecutions case against this monster.

I personally want him interrogated to see if more strikes are on the way...... Prosecution or not.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Exclamation Waterboard Now

Eric Holder
    I can't respond to this (Holder) without being banned permanently

Interrogation is the correct answer. He is an enemy combatant IMHO.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Speaking of restraining someone on an airline, the story said they used duct tape. Is there something easier that you can bring on with you and use like zip ties?
    A little birdie told me they already have items onbord that the crew can access for this sort of purpose.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    A little birdie told me they already have items onbord that the crew can access for this sort of purpose.
    So just concentrate on kicking the BG's in the face and punching. Maybe a tactical pen or two. Roger that.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    Let me ask a question of the Jury of DCers.

When Eric Holder was asked if he would Interrogate Osama Bin Laden, he said that he already has enough to prosecute Bin Laden without interrogating him. Will Holder be interrogating this guy to see if more plots are planned by his friends in the next few days, or will he be allowed to lawyer up try to protect the prosecutions case against this monster.

I personally want him interrogated to see if more strikes are on the way...... Prosecution or not.
    This guy was already trained to ask for a Public Defender at our expense. They won't get anything from him unless they send him to Gitmo!
    Bill Orr
    SMSgt, USAF (Ret)

NRA Life Member
    Utah and Idaho CCW holder

And places where you can not carry

Any travel from the USA (Florida in particular) to the UK/Europe/Ireland etc;
    Leaves you Gun less!

As an older Gentlemen (74) I miss my Glock! But feel a lot safer with my Cold Steel City Stick, than without.

Virtually unbreakable, not heavy, extremely hard (baseball swing at shin bone!) the thought of that strike sends water into my mouth! Plus having a sometimes bum ankle it has a good other purpose.

There are 4 or 5 screw on heads, my favorite, the micarta smooth one. Stainless steel model has a tremendous crushing power, but for speed and still very hard shaft, the light weight model is the best.

Make your carry on a back pack, leaves both hands free. Strikes as easy to deploy as a forward jab (Bayonet strike) to the sternum, or throat, devastating.

Before this cane I used an Irish blackthorn, that was OK, this is better IMHO.

Practice on an old punch bag, bend your knees, slip your hand a third of the way down the shaft, you now have a one hand weapon.

They made my Son send his big umbrella to the hold, never bothered me.
    Last edited by Scouse; December 27th, 2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I doubt that would do any good. He's a 23 year old imbecile - there's no way his handlers would give him any information that's of any value unless they too are complete morons.

Would have been nice if the headlock was just a little bit tighter...

terrorists

They would have to be imbeciles. How else can you convince someone to blow themselves up "for the cause", which they probably don't understand, either.
    I am for putting those (expletive deleted) under the shuttle when it launches. Nothing to clean up.......

As for allowing us CCW permitted to carry on the airplane, forget it. The PILOTS are having a hard time getting official permission to carry.

I wonder if this guy was programmed to fail and how many more like this may be coming down the pike.

If there are more like this I can imagine the court system getting seriously bogged down.

I also wonder if this is a test of the court-vs-tribunal systems.

I think that people are once again realizing that you can't afford to sit and wait for the police to show up.

First, there aren't very many police at 30,000 feet so you may wait awhile before the police show up. The BG doesn't have to wait and the body count can get pretty big pretty fast. On the ground, why wait 20 minutes? The BG doesn't have to wait there either.

So, people are getting smarter and realizing that their safety depends on THEM. This, in turn, is leading to the less restrictive firearms laws and the overturning of anti-gun laws.

We are once more becoming a strong nation of people who are willing to stand up before the world and loudly and proudly say; "This is America. Land of the free. Home of the Brave."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links