Texas CHL/CCW inside a restaurant/bar setup like Pappasitos

This is a discussion on Texas CHL/CCW inside a restaurant/bar setup like Pappasitos within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm relatively new to carrying and recently went to a restaurant that also has a bar in it. There are no signs posted and ...

Thread: Texas CHL/CCW inside a restaurant/bar setup like Pappasitos

Texas CHL/CCW inside a restaurant/bar setup like Pappasitos

So, I'm relatively new to carrying and recently went to a restaurant that also has a bar in it. There are no signs posted and in particular no 51% sign.

When we get in, there's a wait, so my wife wants to sit at the bar.
    I didn't drink (never do much), and just stood behind her while she sat at the bar.

Is this an issue? When is it off limits for us in Texas? Is the 51% sign the only indicator or does a bar within a restaurant count as a place off limits to CC?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The bar has to be posted with a 51% sign, for you not to be able to enter while carrying. So, unless the bar inside the restaurant, has it's own license and is a separate business, it would not be posted with a 51% sign. It's not in the restaurants interest to be a 51% business...

You were fine and could have even had a drink if you wanted to, but I can understand not drinking while carrying...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

If the establishment is a 51% type of place, you can't carry there whether they have a sign or not. It is now a defense against prosecution if they don't have it posted, but you can still be arrested and have to deal with it in court.

51% is it. Most places, if they serve food won't make it as a 51%. I have seen establishments who have an identical sign, size wording etc, except without the 51%. Just trying to be sneeky I guess, but that has no legal bearing. The nice thing about Texas is that whether it's a 30.06 or 51% sign, it has to be exactly correct or it doesn't mean anything and you can just disregard it.

IIRC the 51% Liquor license has red lettering and the under 51% has blue lettering
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Something to keep in mind though, businesses like hotels sometimes have a bar inside, sometimes those bars are their own little "entity" and treated as a seperate business. I think its so they don't have to pay bar type taxes and fees on the whole hotel but it generally will have seperate doors and such. I know a movie theater that has a seperate "bar" inside as well, so I just dont go to the bar itself. The bar has a separate entrance and a different name as well. It doesnt come up but I think that might be the one situation it would be an issue.

Alex!

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Carry in Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
    YES
    Note: What is defined as carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol is a place like Friday’s or Red
    Lobster. This does not mean a bar or the bar area of a restaurant. Handgunlaw.us believes you should
    never consume alcohol when carrying your firearm. In some states it is illegal to take even one drink
    while carrying a firearm.
    just found this, might help

All good responses! This is what I thought, and what I thought I remembered from the class, but once there, I was uncomfortable.

Thanks all!

BTW, I personally choose to not even have one drink while carrying. There is no "legal limit" for alcohol if you ever, God forbid, have to defend yourself, and having even a .01 or higher level could really hurt you in court. Plus, I want to make sure for my own sake that I'm 100% in the right state of mind whenever bearing this responsibility.

Links