Extra Ammo Long Trip

This is a discussion on Extra Ammo Long Trip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious what other folks do planning a trip by car for about 10 days all the states I am driving to reciprocate the TN ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra Ammo Long Trip

Extra Ammo Long Trip

Just curious what other folks do planning a trip by car for about 10 days all the states I am driving to reciprocate the TN HCP so no issues there. Do you all carry extra ammo above and beyond what you normally do on a daily basis for a long or extended trip? If so how much?
    The gun fight you really win is the gunfight you avoided.

2. Remove Ads

SD ammo? Same as always.
    Range ammo? Lots, just in case I can get some range time in.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Usually 2 extra mags loaded and extra holster just in case of breakage. Nothing worse than pranging your carry gun against a concrete corner and feeling bullets fall out of your pants leg. Back up mags are small and pack well.

Yea, I'd take extra mags (loaded of course) in case of malfunction. Not sure if you need an extra box of ammo - the loaded mags should be ok. They're pretty small so you can take 3 or 4 easily.

NC Bullseye - Good idea on the extra holster.

I would carry xtra mags along with a BUG just in case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Six full mags, just in case I run into a pack, BUG and six more. Now I feel safe, maybe!
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

For trips exclusively I'll wear my magazine pouch on the other side of my hip that holds two extra magazines. So right there that's 3 magazines with 22 rounds total. Plus I'll wear my bug so that's another 7 rounds. Plenty enough of ammo

VIP Member
    I take extra ammo and a BUG on long trips.

Nope. Just what I normally carry. Full mag + 1 in the gun, a spare full mag. I don't really see a big difference between a long trip and a short run from home. If I have to use my weapon for any reason, it's going to screw up my day (and I hope the BG's day as well) regardless of how far I am into the trip. There's a real good chance I'm only going to have to pull my weapon once on a trip, if at all. And I pray it's the latter and not the former.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

EDC plus 1 mag, my usual.

When I travel, it's usually to states north of Va.

And we all know about states north of Virginia. Md, NJ, NY. Not exactly gun friendly states.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Yup, I do carry an extra mag with me.

I bring an extra main carry and a extra bug. If something breaks, I have a backup. Plus extra ammo for each.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I recently went on a month long trip, and multiple day trips for interviews recently; each time, I'd take my EDC G23 plus 3 extra mags, and a BUG--at that time a sig p232 and the extra mag I had with it. I'd also pack a few extra rounds for each--20 rounds extra after the mags is about what I took.

Truthfully, I took too much ammo, IMO; but definitely take a BUG. I'd on occasion have to use it as my primary due to what I was in those places for.

Good luck and have fun on the trip; be safe.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

I usually carry a back up gun and two extra mag for both guns. Can't carry a whole lot on a motorcycle. Flying I cut down the extra mags.
    If I want to shoot I buy ammo at my destination. I don't carry as much as Grady though. I think he rents a semi when he travels.

Semper fi

If I am going more than a hundred miles from home I carry my primary and a BUG and at least 2 magazines for each, plus a box of SD ammo. My wife also carries, and will carry one extra mag. Her carry gun takes the same ammo and magazines as my BUG, so that simplifies logistics.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links