What workout are you doing these days? - Page 2

What workout are you doing these days?

This is a discussion on What workout are you doing these days? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work out one to three times a week and try to walk one to three miles every other day, weather permiting. But that is ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What workout are you doing these days?

I work out one to three times a week and try to walk one to three miles every other day, weather permiting. But that is not for self defense that is so I can keep the heart doctor happy and he will let me chase elk. As I am getting close to seventy I will not run or go hand to hand. Read into that what you want.

Semper fi

Talking Full work out routine

I get all the work out I need from the below.

1)Running: my mouth
    2)Pushing: my luck
    3)Jumping: to conclusions
    4)Dodging:responsibility
    5)Slipping:away from work early
    6)Dancing: doing the happy dance every pay day
    7)lifting: my arse out of bed to the recliner
    8)Running: to the fridge
    9)Push-ups: Food up to my mouth
    10)Curls:Curling up with the wife.

Laugh lots, love often, and defend the irreplaceable.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    MA/SD training, semi workout 2 times a week, but most of my physical training and endurance comes from my job of being in animal control now (retired military) also. If you think you've had a work out, come fight a 50 - 100lb dog who's intent on eating you for breakfast and fighting you all the way to the truck, you'll think workout LOL LMBO

No, we don't have a tranq gun yet, we will next year when we get our own shelter for the city built, even then, you have legal liabilities to worry about with that type of weapon especially in a medium size city now a days where everyone is lawsuit happy.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

These kinds of threads are funny. Either you're one of the young who hasn't realized that there are older folks in the world or you're one of those older folks.

For you young types: Stay active but watch your injury management. Getting hurt when you're young means you can mostly shrug it off - until you get old. Then those injuries come back to haunt you. Overloads of testosterone don't help. Neither does "over preparation" for TEOTWAWKI fantasies. Stay active, but do it smart.

For us old types, injuries are a thing to live with as best we can. Bad backs, knees, hips, etc are part and parcel of life. We need to get active again (if we aren't already) and stay active at a level which allows us to manage our health and live longer. Lots of low impact cardio works for me.

Where you draw the line between younger and older is a personal choice. Until nature draws it for you.

Chasing my toddler, skiing 2-3 days a week (charging hard through the bumps n chutes), and lifting those $1 double cheeseburgers from BK..they can be heavy. I know that last one is counter productive.

Play Hockey 2-3x a week, go to the gym 2-3x a week.

The hockey gets nullified when we go drinking after games on Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post

Hit someone so he feels as tho he's been shot? Yeah with a hammer or two by four, darn sure not with my fist's anymore tho.....Oh yeah, I still know how, but the price one pays when age begins to catch up renders it simply not worth the pain. More so, one never knows if an underlying condition just might 'end it all' if so engaged.

I don't know a thing about the hereafter, but I do know about the here and now, intend to keep it that way, and therefore I intend to 'equalize' the equation, hence my 645. And I am NOT going to risk an assailiant getting it from me!
    What Dogrunner said except "hence my 686".

I also am in my mid 60s. I walk a mile everyday, sometimes more. Some days I walk slow because the joints are hurting, sometimes I walk fast to burn carbs. I also work in the field cutting brush, and hauling down limbs. I cut up the fallen limbs with a bow-saw or an axe. During the Summer months I haul rocks and dirt to make flower gardens (after breaking my arm last year I had to curtail some of these jobs).

The older I get the more I have to admit that I am unable to do the things I used to when young.

I have no intention of ever going one on one in a physical confrontation. If I have to I will cheat; knife, club, machete, gun, etc..
    I practice my knife handling skill daily, just to maintain as much cooridnation as posslble. I also practice with a Bo , nunchucks, and Kusarifundo (spike and chain).

Yoga. Great for balance, strength, flexibility and more. Walk often. Take the stairs at work (3 floors). Also run and bicycle occasionally. Just started hunting this year. We do all of our yard work without gas (push reel mower, scythe, axe, etc) which helps. We heat with wood, lots of opportunities for work...

I turn 50 this year, I lift weights about three times a week. Ecah muscle group once. I've found that once you hit forty you need more recovery time so I hit each muscle only once a week. Last year I was doing each power lift (Bench, squat, deadlift) and the aux work for each. Then I slowed the squat some and replaced DL with pullups for a while. I also walk about 40 minutes during good weather or treadmill/elliptical machine. I have a full free weight gym in my basement.

I thought about getting back into martial arts, I did Tracy Karate for about four years. Also some TKD, Win Chung, Sambo, and grappling. I bought a dog instead and need to walk her and maybe hunt her (GSP).

I need to work on losing 10 pounds, my BMI is 25.9 and should be 25.

Weights 3x/wk, cardio 2x/wk. Big into heavy lifting in my 20s and early 30s, but injuries slowed me down a bit. Starting to get back into it over the last 6 mos or so. Need to drop about 15 lbs.

Trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about 2.5 yrs, but stopped about 2 years ago. Really miss it and want to get back into it, but a 3 yr old and a new baby keep me from going to class for 2 hrs/night 3 days/wk like I used to do. It's really not fair to my wife and boys to take on that kind of commitment right now. It's an awesome work out, though, and one of the most effective martial arts out there for real life fights.

Ahhhhhh.....the energy level of some of the "young bucks" here...Really works up a 61 year ole's enthusiasm...but alas..I have developed the once retarded (retired) routine of going back to work full time......I am a full time Nanny for my 6 month old granddaughter...sooooooo....I lift some "weighty" diapers several times a day, do some powerlifts over my head with my 17lb granddaughter several times daily....and last but not least I lift my unloaded G26 several times a day for dryfire and draw practice, then l "tap rack" a full magazine, insure my big dots are on target, holster, and wait for the call of my pillow at night!!! Dang, I'm tired just tellin you all about it!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

PM
    Walk 2 miles almost daily or now that the weather outside is COLD treadmill for 30-40 mintues. Having done this I have lost almost 30 lbs over the last three months. I would agree with the advise that some have given about the results of doing harm coming back to remind you of your youthful stupidity; while only 48 years old; I am reminded daily of some of the stupid things I have done when the body sends out those joint pain reminders!!

VIP Member
    Well, not near as much as I should. However, I'm lucky to have my mother's ultra-metabolism. I had a personal trainer but it was more than I could afford. Bummer, since it really doesn’t take too long for me to tone-up. Currently, I'm weak, lazy and lethargic.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member

+ and a :) to RobP

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    These kinds of threads are funny. Either you're one of the young who hasn't realized that there are older folks in the world or you're one of those older folks.

For you young types: Stay active but watch your injury management. Getting hurt when you're young means you can mostly shrug it off - until you get old. Then those injuries come back to haunt you. Overloads of testosterone don't help. Neither does "over preparation" for TEOTWAWKI fantasies. Stay active, but do it smart.

For us old types, injuries are a thing to live with as best we can. Bad backs, knees, hips, etc are part and parcel of life. We need to get active again (if we aren't already) and stay active at a level which allows us to manage our health and live longer. Lots of low impact cardio works for me.

Where you draw the line between younger and older is a personal choice. Until nature draws it for you.
    Lots of wisdom in what RobP posted. A question like the one posted above really has no meaningful answer because it all depends. It all depends on which decade of life you are in, what kind of health you are in, what if anything isn't right health wise, AND your own natural body type, as some were built for marathons and some were built for weight lifting.

There are 70 year olds who are in great health and great shape in terms of balance, flexibility, strength and endurance, and there are 30 somethings who due to health reasons (and the nature or jobs today) are not.

MitchelllCT does still deserve applause as the op for reminding folks that fitness counts in an encounter.

I'll remind everyone --especially those who think they will never get old-- that nothing works quite as well at 60-70 as it did at 18-28. My son and I (he being 34 years younger) were comparing our Krav skills/ knowledge. The truth is, his punches and moves are fast and powerful even when fooling around and playing. A BG teen who means business would be more than a handful for me no matter how much I train. There are inevitable losses to balance, strength, speed, strength, agility, that go with advancing age. They can be staved off to a point with regular work, but --young guys pay attention-- what you break when you are 19 is going to hurt a lot when you are older. So take care when you workout. Especially protect your joints and your back.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links