What workout are you doing these days?

This is a discussion on What workout are you doing these days? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always tried to keep myself in fairly decent shape with gym workouts and lots of walking but I have a high stress job and ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What workout are you doing these days?

I've always tried to keep myself in fairly decent shape with gym workouts and lots of walking but I have a high stress job and woke up one day 58 years old and 30 pounds overweight. Started on P90X with some coworkers. After the first week, I could barely walk and had to bring my head down to sink level to brush my teeth and shave since I couldn't raise my arm higher than my waste . I'd have been hurting if I had a need to draw my handgun without shooting myself in my foot. Finding reality that way was hard to handle so I am committed to continuing with P90X until I get back in shape.

2. Remove Ads

free weights, and running. same thing for many mango seasons.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

At 53 years and 175lbs I am in fairly good shape. I go to the Y with some buddies twice a week for strength training and old-boys basketball. I also play the drums so I get some other physical fitness from that.

And yes I never was the man I used to be...............
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I'm practicing click pow. I'd use my weight bench but it has a cat or two on it most days.

hey...it's better than using it as a clothes hanger
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I the gym 3 days a week - walking and light weights - plus a low fat diet.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Up at 4:30am 6days a week to spend 1-1.5 hours at the gym switching between weight lifting and cardio...lots of running on the cardio days.
    Chasing a toddler and a 6 month old who is already standing for an additional 12 hours during the day.
    Trying to get in to a SD class like karv maga

Looks are deceiving.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

P90X once / week
    One hour heavy PT every other day - run 2+ miles, warm-up, stretch after.
    Weights once / week.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Unfortunately,I've become a victim of "Holiday Eat all You Can Syndrome"! I've completely stopped working out, I'm watching TV, Playing on the PC and eating all the potato chips I can find. When I hit the 10 pounds over the limit mark or January 1 arrives - whichever comes first, I'll get back to my exercise schedule.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I walk 15-18 miles a day at work. Admittedly, eating healthier, and some high-paced cardio would do me some good. :)
    Beretta 92FS

Well, at 56 years of age, after 4 spinal surgeries, and an artificial disc implanted, having had a total of 15 surgeries which include 1 total shoulder rebuild and the other repaired, I must watch my strenuous activity for fear of future injury. To cut to the chase, my workout schedule is as follows:
    Monday, a 5 mile jog @ 8.25 minute miles
    Tuesday, a 2.5 mile jog @ 8 minute pace followed immediately by 1 hour non-stop MMA workout
    Wednesday, a 5 mile jog again
    Thursday, a 2.5 mile jog followed by 1 hour weight lifting
    Friday, a 2.5 mile jog @ 8inute pace followed immediately by 1 hour non-stop MMA workout
    I take Saturday off and Sunday is the Lords' day.
    Someday I plan to get in shape for those self defense maneuvers.
    D

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    My workout consists of pounding posts and building fence often, throwing calves all summer during brandings, running from mad mamma cows when trying to ear tag my calves, hanging on for dear life on the hurricane deck of a cowpony, (break colts), loading and unloading little bales of alfalfa hay in the summer, (they only weight 80-100 lbs) but after about 500 of them it seems five times that, wrestling with my used to be little cousins, brother in laws, and current friends, and playing basketball 2x a week in the winter time, men's league softball in the summer, and trapsing the mountains in Colorado for elk and i'm still gaining weight.

Cowboy, let me know if you need any help with those elk. I would love to harvest one of those. Just seems like they would make some very tasty sausage. I just finished smoking 230 pounds of axis deer/pork sausage.
    D

Free weights and general MMA conditioning program.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Cajun, they make excellent sausage and are a thrill to hunt however i wish they would remove those trees and flatten out those moutains a little so i could see them better.

Link to an excellent article on combat fitness, especially for a WTSHTF scenario, IMHO. :D Enjoy.
    SurvivalBlog.com
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links