What workout are you doing these days?

This is a discussion on What workout are you doing these days? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guns...shumns... What are you doing to make sure you are physically fit and have endurance. What are you doing so you can move explosively? So ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Guns...shumns...

What are you doing to make sure you are physically fit and have endurance.

What are you doing so you can move explosively? So you can run from trouble and have it stumble after you in a vain hope of catching you?

What are you doing so you can hit someone hard enough that they believe they have been shot?

What are you doing so you are fit and healthy in the event you are shot, because healthy people tolerate injury better than unhealthy people?

Discuss.

Krav maga
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    P90X, free weights, and running.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I love my 1911, but...

Judo. I am 54 and started judo with my sons several months ago. 3 nights a week we get totally "smoked" in class; a great work out, an opportunity to go as "full force" as I think possible without actually getting into a street fight; to face a person and practice applying repeatable principals to control their force and energy. Of course it's not "perfect" fight training; but then again, after a life in the infantry and several deployments, I am not one to believe we actually have to shoot live ammo at each other to "learn something useful." It's a sport with rules, just like having a CC permit distinguishes us from the criminal: weu obey the rules, the law. In the dojo, you throw the opponent to a mat. On the street, you throw him onto concrete... or maybe a fire hydrant. It depends on his "threat"...

Anyway, Judo! It's fun, and it reminds me to stay out of fights!

Great question, so many "gun guys" are in horrific shape it seems. Circuit training with dumbells and bowflex 3x a week, sporadic jogging.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    8 oz curls with my coffee cup
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Well, having put on an additional 20 lbs over the last 3 years I've started my program to get back to "race weight" before I turn 40 next year.

My program includes nothing geared specifically toward self defense but I can't see that it would hurt. Basically I'm doing weights for about 45 minutes followed by aerobics for 30 min. In a few weeks, I'll up the aerobics time to 60 to 90min.

Now that you mention it, some plyometrics might be a good thing to add into the mix. In the past I've done some of those box-aerobics classes which do some jumping around a punching and such. Signing up for a martial art would be great but it's just impossible with the amount of other obligations I've got right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    8 oz curls with my coffee cup
    Now thats funny, I don't care who you are...
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

Medditate :-)
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Over the past week I've been practicing the cookie chomp and pie munch pretty hard. My wife and kids are going out of town on Monday to visit family. I'll have lost five pounds by the end of the week.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Well, Sport, lemme tell you somethin'.

There is absolutely NO way that this old codger is going toe to toe with a strappin' 20 year old, no way whatsoever!. I am pushing my 69th year, served in the military and did way over three decades as a cop and believe from experience I can render a valid call on what I can and can't do anymore.

Hit someone so he feels as tho he's been shot? Yeah with a hammer or two by four, darn sure not with my fist's anymore tho.....Oh yeah, I still know how, but the price one pays when age begins to catch up renders it simply not worth the pain. More so, one never knows if an underlying condition just might 'end it all' if so engaged.

I don't know a thing about the hereafter, but I do know about the here and now, intend to keep it that way, and therefore I intend to 'equalize' the equation, hence my 645. And I am NOT going to risk an assailiant getting it from me!

Run 22 miles a week and 45 min on my eliptical 4 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Krav maga
    This is what I would be doing if they had such a place up in these parts.

Right now my training consists of cardio and weight lifting.
    TheShadow:
    True but: Having embalming fluid in your system is gotta be worse

Working out on the remote control.

What are you doing to make sure you are physically fit and have endurance.

I always keep my gas tank topped off, it can go for hours.

What are you doing so you can move explosively? So you can run from trouble and have it stumble after you in a vain hope of catching you?

See previous answer, using premium gas can give that extra zip to 3600+ pounds of moving metal.

What are you doing so you can hit someone hard enough that they believe they have been shot?

I keep .45 230 gr in my Glock...it hits hard!

What are you doing so you are fit and healthy in the event you are shot, because healthy people tolerate injury better than unhealthy people?

Approaching my mid 60's, I'm probably in a bit of a jam compared to you younger fellows, but that's life. My mind thinks my body can move pretty quickly and take on all the BG's, unfortunately the body isn't listening and eventually, reality sets it...what doesn't hurt, doesn't work.
    I do try to walk an mile or two several times a week.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links