Ammo Storage - Page 2

Ammo Storage

This is a discussion on Ammo Storage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 4400 9mm rounds (400 are JHP) 2500 .40 cal (500 are JHP) plus a few hundred of various rifle calibers from 30-30 to 7mag all ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Storage

4400 9mm rounds (400 are JHP)
    2500 .40 cal (500 are JHP)

plus a few hundred of various rifle calibers from 30-30 to 7mag all in my new safe. Love this safe. Keeps the hoarding of ammo from being so evident to others. :)

Shotgun ammo is just in plastic, waterproof containers. Nothing special there.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknsnow View Post
    I have a number or ammo containers that I got with bulk ammo purchases that seal well and I have them stacked in a closet and the firearms in the safe. I would love to get something to keep all the ammo locked in. But since I have 10K plus it is hard to find such a place.
    There are all sorts of storage cabinets available if you just look for them. Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, office supply stores ...

Wood, metal, moulded ... It's all is how much you want to spend.

FWIW, 10k isn't that hard to store. Unless it's all in large, rifle calibers, the volume really isn't all that much. I have 4k of .223 that fits in about one cubic foot.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

About 4200 rounds of Partizan 5.56 is in 5 army surplus cans, and I replace the dessicant regularly. I make my own packets from a gallon can of the blue dessicant using coffee filters and a little masking tape. about a tablespoon in each one. Plus Partizan ships their 5.56 in 200 round sealed plastic battle packs. Gotta keep it dry...
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    About 4200 rounds of Partizan 5.56 is in 5 army surplus cans, and I replace the dessicant regularly. I make my own packets from a gallon can of the blue dessicant using coffee filters and a little masking tape. about a tablespoon in each one. Plus Partizan ships their 5.56 in 200 round sealed plastic battle packs. Gotta keep it dry...
    With all due respect, even if you stored the ammo in a bathtub full of water, it would have no effect upon the performance of the ammunition when you fire it - even years later. Caches of WWII ammo were found in the 60s and 70s with the wooden shipping cases completely rotted away and the ammo shot just like it did when it was new. Ammo, especially military ammo, is a closed system. It's virtually impossible for moisture to get inside. I have ammo that I loaded 30 years ago that shoots just fine and it has had no special storage.

Basically, all that desiccant is a waste of time and money. But if it makes you feel better ...

BTW, all that sealed packaging is just a shipping container designed to prevent pilfering and keep the rounds together if the container gets wet. It serves no other real purpose. It's the same deal with "water-tight" US ammo cans - they protect the cardboard sleeves the ammo comes in and makes it easy to carry/store large amounts.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My ammo is just stacked next to my bed in the corner of the bedroom. I put our extra pillows from the bed on top of it. Just makes the corner look nicer than having a pile of ammo visible to everyone.

I have maybe 800 .380 rounds, about 1200 9mm and 1000+ .223.

I'd like to buy more ammo...but I should really try to save money and buy a new handgun
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

I try to keep a GI ammo can full for each caliber in my general storage area, along with cleaning supplies, ear muffs, empty brass and so on. I usually keep a box of personal defense rounds in the dresser drawer, along with a 5 round box of 00 buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    With all due respect, even if you stored the ammo in a bathtub full of water, it would have no effect upon the performance of the ammunition when you fire it - even years later. Caches of WWII ammo were found in the 60s and 70s with the wooden shipping cases completely rotted away and the ammo shot just like it did when it was new. Ammo, especially military ammo, is a closed system. It's virtually impossible for moisture to get inside. I have ammo that I loaded 30 years ago that shoots just fine and it has had no special storage.
    Y'know, I took one of Partizan's M193 5.56s apart once and noted the sealant around the projectile as well as the primer - it did strike me that it seemed pretty well water-proofed.
    Appreciate the input - I'd like to think my stash will outlast me
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Wow reading thru this thread and now I know why I cant get any ammo you guys own it all

keep mine in good ammo like cans originally used for night vision..great seals
    Also keep alot in a big lockable TAT box in two different spots in the house.
    Led By Love Of Country

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    few thousand rounds in plastic sealed boat storage containers...started with one and before you knew it they just kept piling up....i have seperate containers for .22, .380, 9mm & .45 with luggage type tags on them identifying what caliber is inside....they accept a small lock that keeps curious young hands out of the boxes...

I store most of mine the plastic PLANO boxes. I don't want anything to heavy for my wife to carry if the sh*t hits the fan. One box will easily hold about 1500 on handgun or a 1000 rifle. It gives a strange warm fuzzy hearing all the stocking up we all are doing! No pundant or politician on the left or the right will admit it but all the stocking up scares the hell out of the current administration, and it should !!

I try to have 4 to 5 hundred rounds for each caliber that I have in inventory and it's stored in the safe and a box of my carry rounds are in my nightstand drawer for easy access. I have no children around so there's no concern or danger to any little ones.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

3875 rounds of .22lr in a 50cal military surplus ammo can. Quantity will change after I hit the range this afternoon, or they are all lost in a "tragic boating accident".

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    Y'know, I took one of Partizan's M193 5.56s apart once and noted the sealant around the projectile as well as the primer - it did strike me that it seemed pretty well water-proofed.
    Appreciate the input - I'd like to think my stash will outlast me
    Then you don't shoot much?

I know what you mean. A lot of folks don't realize that's there no expiration date on ammo boxes - the "shelf life" is measured in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I use military surplus metal ammo cans. I
    +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Ammo cans work good for us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links