Mass NonResident CC and approved firearms

This is a discussion on Mass NonResident CC and approved firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I live in Southern NH and have a NH CC license. I go to Mass often enough to consider getting a Mass non-resident ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass NonResident CC and approved firearms

Mass NonResident CC and approved firearms

Hi All,

I live in Southern NH and have a NH CC license. I go to Mass often enough to consider getting a Mass non-resident CC license ($150/year I believe vs. $10/4 years for NH resident).

But I have a question. I know Mass residents have a list of "approved" firearms from which they can choose. They cannot carry what they want unless it is on this list. Does anyone know if the list applies to non-residents as well? None of my CC choices is on the Mass list.

Thanks,
    ThumperACC

2. Remove Ads

Can you please post the list?

I am also a Southern NH resident and have a Ma LTC nonresident. After talking to the firearms support bureau in Chelsea MA, This is the way it works:

You can carry anything that is legal to own in your home state. ( I carry an XD9SC)
    The list you are talking about only applies to guns that are allowed for sale/purchase in MA.
    It is best to have a magazine that holds only 10 rounds. The only people that are allowed to carry more than 10 rds are LE. You can technically carry say the 16 rd mag for my XD for example but I was told that you are just looking for an issue if you are involved in a shooting. There is no documented limit to the number of 10 rd mags you can carry however.

Hope this helps. I also believe that the cost is 100 per year not 150 unless they changed it this year. I have to look into that because I have to renew.
    To whom much is given, much is required. Luke 12:48

For dlclarkii

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    Can you please post the list?

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/...rms_roster.pdf

Thanks Major99

Quote Originally Posted by major99 View Post
    I am also a Southern NH resident and have a Ma LTC nonresident. After talking to the firearms support bureau in Chelsea MA, This is the way it works:

You can carry anything that is legal to own in your home state. ( I carry an XD9SC)
    The list you are talking about only applies to guns that are allowed for sale/purchase in MA.
    It is best to have a magazine that holds only 10 rounds. The only people that are allowed to carry more than 10 rds are LE. You can technically carry say the 16 rd mag for my XD for example but I was told that you are just looking for an issue if you are involved in a shooting. There is no documented limit to the number of 10 rd mags you can carry however.

Hope this helps. I also believe that the cost is 100 per year not 150 unless they changed it this year. I have to look into that because I have to renew.
    Thanks, that is good info. I assume that the limit of 10 is in the mag itself, as in 10+1, is that right?

Thanks,
    ThumperACC

I carry 10+1 and a spare mag. I will never carry unchambered.
    To whom much is given, much is required. Luke 12:48

VIP Member
    interesting, went through the list there are some 1911 clones but no Colts at all.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

sweet! i can carry my S&W .22A! lol

hmm... wonder what they got against Springfield?
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

Boston and Worcester have an ordnance banning anything over ten round magazines to citizens. I'm not sure about Springfield though. If you have the Class A "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSE" license your good to go anywhere else in Massachusetts. Just keep it concealed or the LEO will question you. Use your better judgement and stay out of any place such as bars and your again good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreSlot View Post
    sweet! i can carry my S&W .22A! lol

hmm... wonder what they got against Springfield?
    It is Springfield who refuses to deal with the assine requests of our moronic pols! A company wishing to sell in MA must submit each type, size & caliber etc. It is a shame.

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Quote Originally Posted by maritz01 View Post
    Boston and Worcester have an ordnance banning anything over ten round magazines to citizens. I'm not sure about Springfield though. If you have the Class A "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSE" license your good to go anywhere else in Massachusetts. Just keep it concealed or the LEO will question you. Use your better judgement and stay out of any place such as bars and your again good to go.
    Former Boston resident, former Class A holder. I don't know if you meant to comment on the legality or the morality of bar carry but I am almost certain that concealed carry in bars is not illegal. In fact, MA has very few places that are off limits compared with other states that are widely regarded as gun friendly.

I also am fairly certain that the legalese that bans ten round mags is found in the Gun Control Act of 1998. Which means that the prohibition is enforceable state-wide, unless you have pre-ban mags AND can prove that your hi-cap mags are pre-ban.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Martini13 View Post
    It is Springfield who refuses to deal with the assine requests of our moronic pols! A company wishing to sell in MA must submit each type, size & caliber etc. It is a shame.

SPRINGFIELD

Also noticed NO RUGERS

Yes Rugers

Quote Originally Posted by puffer View Post
    Also noticed NO RUGERS
    I thought the same, you have to look under Sturm Ruger, there are dozens.

ThumperACC

Major99 is correct on all points but one; High capacity magazines

They are absolutely not lawful to possess as by statute in MA.
    Period. No technically nor ifs and buts about it.

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT
    TITLE XX. PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER
    CHAPTER 140. LICENSES
    EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES
    SALE OF FIREARMS
    Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

~~~

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Source - M.G.L. - Chapter 140, Section 121
    There is no exception or exemption for out of state/non-resident persons as within the state that was not _manufactured_ prior to September 13, 1994.

There was no such thing as an XD firearm nor associated loading device at that time.

So the answer is unequivocally NO.

You may not possess in MA as a resident nor non-resident an XD associated large capacity feeding device which by statue definition supports a capacity as greater than ten (10).

All else stated by Major99 I agree with and matches current statutes/laws.

I teach this and more 11 mos. a year in BHE courses as an instructor under the the MA Dept.of Fisheries and Wildlife and the USFWS.
    Always I advise students to study not just the MA Wildlife abstract but to know the _overlapping_ state statutes and regulations which are not specifically detailed in the abstract.

- Janq

P.S. - Additionally the following should be known by all residents and non-residents entering/being in this state with firearms and/or associated components...

The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to the possession of a large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device by (i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any other state or the United States, including any federal, state or local law enforcement personnel; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or the United States; (iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; (iv) any federal, state or local historical society, museum or institutional collection open to the public; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to acquire, possess or carry a large capacity semiautomatic weapon and is acting within the scope of his duties; or (v) any gunsmith duly licensed under the applicable federal law.

(n) Whoever violates paragraph (a) or paragraph (c), by means of a loaded firearm, loaded sawed off shotgun or loaded machine gun shall be further punished by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than 2 1/2 years, which sentence shall begin from and after the expiration of the sentence for the violation of paragraph (a) or paragraph (c).

(o) For purposes of this section, “loaded” shall mean that ammunition is contained in the weapon or within a feeding device attached thereto.

For purposes of this section, “ammunition” shall mean cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun.

Source - http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-10.htm
    Failure to know or understand any of the above as FACT can and does real world result in criminal charges and for persons fines as well as jail time, and for MA residents loss of all 2A privileges for lifetime duration.
    Do not cross in to MA borders and not know what you are getting into. Failure to know is not recognized as an excuse by the court system here, or for that matter anywhere.
    You have been warned.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links