Clarification on FL CCW laws

This is a discussion on Clarification on FL CCW laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Could someone clarify the FL CCW verbage when it comes to "elementary or secondary facility". My question is: "Is the parking lot considered a portion ...

Thread: Clarification on FL CCW laws

Clarification on FL CCW laws

Could someone clarify the FL CCW verbage when it comes to "elementary or secondary facility".

My question is:

"Is the parking lot considered a portion of the facility?"

the reason why I ask is because I work in a middle school and want to continue following the law, but would like to have my buddy with me when I leave work and run errands before going home for night.

I interpret facility as the buildings and not the parking lot. I have thought about parking away from the school but the closest available parking is at an apartment complex and then you risk someone watching you and possibly breaking into auto (currently have a lockbox).

Please provide some suggestions. Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

Schools are an exception to the "take your gun to work Law"

"(a) Any school property as defined and regulated under s. 790.115."

So no according to the law you can't do that

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    790.251 specifically states that Schools grounds remain off limits even in autos on school property which would mean the parking lots. You will have to park off the school property to remain legal.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

park across the street :P
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    According to Webster's, facility is "something created to serve a particular function." Therefore, the building, grounds and parking lots of the school "facility" are there to serve the function of education. Florida includes "school property" in its definition.

High-priced lawyers may argue for years over this, but I wouldn't want to be the test case for a Supreme Court decision.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    790.251 specifically states that Schools grounds remain off limits even in autos on school property which would mean the parking lots. You will have to park off the school property to remain legal.
    We need to remain careful about this idea. Out in the People's Democratic Republic of Kahleeforneeuhhh school officials permanently expelled a student who went duck hunting in the morning, left his locked and unloaded shotguns in his locked truck parked off school grounds, and the school went and searched his truck anyway. Zero Tolerance or Overreaction? - Video - FOXNews.com

The guidance given in this thread is correct though. You cannot have weapons in your locked parked vehicle on school property, whether you are a teacher or not.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

cmb
    this has been discussed before and there is a book specifically on florida law. It is on my to buy list so I do not have it yet.: Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. many others will recommend this book and may be able to quote you the applicable section.

You MAY have a weapon in the car if you are driving onto FL school property to pick up or drop off students...but it becomes illegal when the car is parked and you leave it on school property to go inside the building...employee or non-employee.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by KoB View Post
    Could someone clarify the FL CCW verbage when it comes to "elementary or secondary facility".

My question is:

"Is the parking lot considered a portion of the facility?"

the reason why I ask is because I work in a middle school and want to continue following the law, but would like to have my buddy with me when I leave work and run errands before going home for night.

I interpret facility as the buildings and not the parking lot. I have thought about parking away from the school but the closest available parking is at an apartment complex and then you risk someone watching you and possibly breaking into auto (currently have a lockbox).

Please provide some suggestions. Thank you.
    I assume you're refering to 790.06 FS (12), which BTW reads "... elementary or secondary school facility ..." (emphasis added). Since I am not an attorney working for the FL Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, I cannot render an opinion as to the interpretation of this law (have to be careful on public forums!). But I can advise you to read completely 790.115 FS - Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school sponsored event or on school property prohibitted ... (once again emphasis added).

You might also contact the Department (anonymously) and ask your question. I'm pretty sure they'll say, don't bring a gun to school.

Of course VA Tech and Columbine et al, speak volumes to the inadvisability of such a policy, but alas I do not posses the sage wisdom of our liberal elected officials (slap me - ) ... nough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Excellent point! The specific site for this prohibition is 790.251(7)(a) FS.

Enough said…thank you and I will continue to adhere to the laws. It's not worth it to lose employment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    this has been discussed before and there is a book specifically on florida law. It is on my to buy list so I do not have it yet.: Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. many others will recommend this book and may be able to quote you the applicable section.
    The one thing I have to say about the book, while it is a great resource, is that I'm pretty displeased with the author at the moment.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...emergency.html
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

GM
    In FL it is illegal to leave a firearm in the car if it is parked on school property; I had the same problem at the University. The solution was to park the car out of campus. You can read about the law at Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links