Funny yesterday at the gun shop

This is a discussion on Funny yesterday at the gun shop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DWill The P3AT and LCP are great guns. You will find them very reliable. However, they are quite unpleasant to shoot. I've ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Funny yesterday at the gun shop

Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    The P3AT and LCP are great guns. You will find them very reliable. However, they are quite unpleasant to shoot. I've owned two P3AT's. I currently own an LCP and a Kahr P380. The Kahr is by far a better shooting and more accurate gun. Your wife will appreciate that. My wife is small and relatively new to shooting. She won't shoot my LCP because of the recoil.

If money is an issue, then get either the P3AT or LCP. Either way, you will be carrying a reliable gun.
    If I can find one in stock under $600, I'll buy it. The gun shops are asking way too much. It's cheaper online, but nobody has it in stock.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, as this is one of the best places to start. You and your wife seem to be doing all the right things and in a logical order. Now, since you stated you guys ‘are very limited in knowledge of all the different firearms’ I would recommend you take a look at some small 5-round revolvers, commonly referred to as snubs or 'j-frames'. They’re great for learning the basics, as they’re less complicated, and inherently more reliable. If you become interested in shooting as a hobby, you will eventually end up with a revolver at some point. There is no better time to start than when you’re still developing your technique, combined with safety and discipline.

Also, as mentioned by ‘BkCo1’, reviewing Kathy’s excellent website ‘Cornered Cat’ will provide a lot of valuable information and overall fun reading! In my view, it’s not just for women as it covers many subjects of mutually shared interests. In particular, is her extensive research and testing of carry devices, and I don't mean just 'holster's. This is something you guys will really want to read in order to minimize your collection of 'seemed like a good idea at the time' of all those holster purchases.
    Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by Saber; December 29th, 2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added content
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum...
    I would also consider a S&W 442 or 642 snubbie... The .38 special is a more powerful round, especially in +P versions... It can be loaded with light loads for practice, then increased when your wife is more accustomed to the recoil. The 642 will be more tolerant of lint, dirt and other stuff, if your wife does purse carry... It's also safer for purse carry than a P3AT or LCP...

I have a 642 and an LCP, you can't go wrong with either...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I've got a Keltec P3AT and a keltec PF9, which is only a very little bit bigger, but it is 9 MM so ammo should be no problem to find. All things considered, today if I was to get a small pistol it would be the PF9 Keltec. As far as the Kahr, last March there was a guy in one of my four day handgun courses that had one. It was the most unreliable POS I have ever been around in 50+ years of being around guns. The guy bought it new, cleaned it and tried to learn with it, but the proshop guys had to fiddled with it everyday for all four days just to get it to run haf-way right. It absolutely ruined his vacation. Yet there are some very valid guys and gals out there that have had very good luck with their Khars and swear by them. YMMV
    Welcome to the forum and Congrats there Newelyweds!

If you find you don't like the keltek or the ruger try looking @ the sig p238. bought mine b/c i liked the feel and weight of it vs the ruger. should be able to pick one up for under $600

I have both a Kahr CW9 and a Ruger LCP. I'd recommend either of them to you for SD. Personally I'd go with the 9mm no matter what platform. My suggestion to you would look something like this.

1. Glock 26 9mm
    2. Kahr CW series 9mm, .40 or the .380 lastly (due to caliber)
    3. Ruger LCP .380 again last (due to caliber)

The Glock has a very user friendly manual of arms and will run forever and as long as proper gun safety is practiced there's no danger of ND/AD contrary to what some information you may find out on the internet.

The Kahr makes a good pistol and like I said, I have one of the CW9s and wouldn't hesitate to carry it daily and do on an occasion. I replaced it with the G26 mainly due to more firepower 11 vs 8 and I don't mind the thicker but shorter frame of the G26. For me, the height of the grip is harder to conceal than the length of the barrel. I said the CW series due to pricing. The CW series is considerably less expensive than the P and MK. They're basically the same pistols just missing all the perks, but not any of the basic design and function.

I have the LCP and do carry it everywhere I can legally carry a pistol. It rides in my front pocket and IMO is worth its weight for deep concealment needs. The Kahr .380 has some good advantages over the LCP but for me and what I want a pocket pistol for the price difference is a big factor. IMO the .380 is an up close and personal defense round, and if I can reliably fire it from a $300 Ruger vs a $500 and up Kahr, I'll go with the Ruger and save the big budget on my primary CC choice.

Good luck on your search.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have the Kel-Tec P3AT for backup and a friend has the Ruger LCP - Both worked fine out of the box - No fluff & buff required.
    I think Kel-Tec is doing a better job of finishing now that they have some competition.

Welcome aboard. I too would take a look at 38 snubbie.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Kgregson View Post
    Who was the slender lady on here that carried a 1911 Small Of Back. That may be an option.
    IIRC, Limatunes has a pic of her w/ a 1911 SOB on her old site somewhere.

Nobody mentioning Bersa for a good .380 ?? Reliable, accurate, lifetime warranty, and uber affordable.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Welcome!

I would stay away from anything that shoots .380. It is way to hard to find these days.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

As mention before, check out the NEW Sig P238. Got mine a few months ago after reading all the mags and researching online it was a no brainer. Everyone who tries them loves them. I love mine, real easy to conceal, no kickback when firing. Plus it looks great. Shop around prices range from 500 to 700. Pictured in my avatar to the left. It's been a chore but I've stocked up on 380 ammo by calling the local shops daily and just ordered 5 boxes of Horndady (lol) FTX from Cabella's. So it takes 2 or 3 weeks, just order ahead and wait.
    Life is one long weekend!

easy to carry.... SIG P 238

for around the house.....Smith & Wesson M & P 40
    Life is one long weekend!

As you have learned, most gun stores want to sell you what they have in stock, not what meets your needs best. You need the smallest, lightest, but the people you deal with want to sell you heavier and larger - DO NOT LET ANYONE, WHETHER EXPRT OR IDIOT, TRY TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED! Trust your own judgement!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Couldn't find the P380 anywhere. I purchased a Micro Desert Eagle online for about $445.

We'll see how it goes, and if I can find any ammo for it.

As mentioned by a couple of others, check out Cornered Cat. The basic theme is "don't fight unless you have to, but if you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat."

Kathy has great stuff there for ladies, but much of what she has there is great for everybody.

I've contacted Kathy about using some of her stuff for instruction purposes and she's very generous and gracious about using it to help others.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links