Funny yesterday at the gun shop

This is a discussion on Funny yesterday at the gun shop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post. Yesterday, my wife and I went to a local gun shop to have a looksie. We are very limited in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny yesterday at the gun shop

Funny yesterday at the gun shop

This is my first post. Yesterday, my wife and I went to a local gun shop to have a looksie. We are very limited in our knowledge of all the different firearms available, and I wanted to see for myself rather than browsing the internet. We're young newlyweds who just recently both got our CWLs in Florida, and I bought the wife an XD 9mm sub that she loves (way better shot than me!). Anyway, this gun shop is one that didn't have a sign posted saying that firearms must be unloaded with the slide locked back, so I had the XD in a Blackhawk holster at the 6 o clock. I'm 5'11 and about 165, and was wearing jeans and a polo. We browsed a little, and the gentleman showed us a few firearms. I indicated that I was the one looking for my first weapon, and I wanted something I could easily conceal. He told me it depends on what I'll be wearing. I said I'll pretty much be wearing this. He then proceeds to tell me I'd need a shirt that's one size bigger. My wife smiled, and I just chuckled inside. The shirt I was wearing was good for concealment, and before we left the house, I asked my wife if she could tell where I was carrying. She thought ankle, and I lifted up my shirt to show her. I would like to believe he had no idea I was carrying.

One question: I'm seriously considering the Kahr P380 if I can find one under $600 in stock anywhere. It would be great for me and the wife can carry it in a smaller purse where the XD won't fit. Does Kahr make a reliable weapon?

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yes, Kahr makes an excellent weapon. However, the micro guns can be a little problematic for a new shooter. They do have a slightly unique method of making ready. The smaller you go, the more shooter error is going to be amplified.
    The 380 is also very new on the market. Another consideration for you is the KelTec P3AT. It is not as nice as the Kahr, but it is a reliable little pea shooter that has been around for a good while. Sticking with your budget, you could buy one for each of you.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Kahr makes fine weapons and many members here have them.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've shot the Kel-Tec P-3AT and thought it was a great little pistol. Was pretty much set on getting it until I started reading about all the fluff/buff and reliability issues on KTOG. I know folks can go back and forth on this all day, but I'm going to try out the Ruger LCP .380 and see how it compares. I'd love the Kahr, but can't dish out that much for a micro-pistol.

Kahr's have a great track record of reliability, though I've never personally owned one. Don't overlook the Glock 26 as a sub-compact option in 9mm. It was probably the most popular off-duty concealed weapon among my fellow deputies. Of course, this was before all these slick little .380s flooded the market.

Welcome aboard. Stay safe.

Semper Fi
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Kahr is nice, .380 will do the trick, but tends to be hard to find at times, and sometimes expensive, keep that in mind as you want to shoot and practice as often as possible.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

For deep concealment size and light weight, the P3-AT or Ruger LCP are hard to beat. At the bottom of my list for acceptable power, either could do in a pinch in experienced hands. My Kel-Tec is inexpensive, reliable, but not easy or rewarding to shoot.

Kahr is a high end pistol. While at times both Cadillac as well as Chevrolet owners have had problems, quality is important. My backup gun (BUG) is a PM40 which has been perfect. Although capacity is small, it's the only 40cal that can disappear in a pocket. The trigger is excellent, and the thin body allows a high grip to mitigate muzzle flip. It's a handful, but Kahr also makes a PM9.

I'm happiest when I can get all the fingers on the grip, and the smallest pistol that gives me that is my Kimber CDP primary IWB at 3:30.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    welcome welcome

A gun shop is a good place to shoot the breeze but as I have learned its not always the place to get advice on carrying. What works for one person won't work for another. Sounds like you have a good setup but make sure you think through your whole wardrobe for what you can and can't wear with what holster etc. With so many options its impossible for others to tell what will work for you. Shoulder, ankle, front waist band, 3:00-5:00/7:00-9:00, SOB, cross draw then you have what cant angle works.

Cabela's carries a good stock of .380 online. You can have it shipped to the store, or your home. Most of it is on back-order and wait times are typically 1-2 weeks, but if you order online you can at least still buy it. Trying to find it in the store is nearly impossible, as most of the truck-loads are already spoken for via online orders. Prices vary, but they carry a good variety. Also check out ammotogo. Currently have Speer gold-dot in stock. Relatively decent price (less than $1/rd).

Semper Fi

LOL Unfortunately too many gun salesmen are full of it. Glad you were packing and learned this lesson. Looks like you're doing your homework. Good job.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    that is funny...

Quote Originally Posted by dakeypoo View Post
    One question: I'm seriously considering the Kahr P380 if I can find one under $600 in stock anywhere. It would be great for me and the wife can carry it in a smaller purse where the XD won't fit. Does Kahr make a reliable weapon?

Thanks for the help.
    I understand that I am commenting outside the scope of your question, but may I please offer this:

If a thug targets a women for a mugging, what do you think they will grab for first and attempt to take away from her? Probably her purse. Just asking if that consideration has been made in choosing that location to carry the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I understand that I am commenting outside the scope of your question, but may I please offer this:

If a thug targets a women for a mugging, what do you think they will grab for first and attempt to take away from her? Probably her purse. Just asking if that consideration has been made in choosing that location to carry the gun.
    Hey everyone thanks for all the input so far.

As far as my wife carrying in her purse, we're exploring all the options. She has an ankle rig, but to me it's pretty much useless because it's so hard to get the pants above the gun. She's 5'6, 108 and enjoys wearing form fitting clothes. We haven't tried an IWB holster for her yet. I'm just ecstatic that she enjoys shooting and wants to carry. I've been talking to her alot about SA recently. The other day she said this car snuck up on her at the Sam's parking lot with people inside asking her for money. She said she tries to be aware, but couldn't believe this happened to her. We're both young (25 & 23) and still have a lot to learn. All of your advice and tips don't fall on deaf ears.

Thanks

Kahr makes a good gun. I will add:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

Try to borrow or rent a few and try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Kahr makes a good gun. I will add:
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    Or you could buy a Glock and have it go BANG 100% of the time you pull the trigger.

Seriously, I've put over 2,500 rds through my 17- all types, brands and in all states of cleanliness and lubricant. Not a single malfunction in 5 years.

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I heard glock's don't even need bullets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links