SC Road Check

SC Road Check

This is a discussion on SC Road Check within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you need to show your driver license & gun permit when going through a road check or being pulled over by police if you ...

Thread: SC Road Check

Question SC Road Check

Do you need to show your driver license & gun permit when going through a road check or being pulled over by police if you are the passenger when carring concealed?

If you are asked to Identify yourself you do then.

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

Note the "AND" between (1) and (2)... so it must be both. He ID's himself as a LEO AND requests ID... from the Permit Holder. If he addresses the driver only then both do not apply UNTIL he address and asks for ID from the Passenger. If he says "do you have some ID?" to the passenger, then yea. Even if he says something like "and who are you?" then it is likely it is now applicable and would be wise to think about producing an ID and Permit.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    If you are asked to Identify yourself you do then.

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driverís license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

Note the "AND" between (1) and (2)... so it must be both. He ID's himself as a LEO AND requests ID... from the Permit Holder. If he addresses the driver only then both do not apply UNTIL he address and asks for ID from the Passenger. If he says "do you have some ID?" to the passenger, then yea. Even if he says something like "and who are you?" then it is likely it is now applicable and would be wise to think about producing an ID and Permit.
    Good post. Too often, people respond to this type of question with "I think" or "IMO".
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

IMO, I think that was a very clear, concise and accurate response.

SC has a duty to inform only if your licensed correct?
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform

If licensed and not carrying... no duty to inform

If licensed and carrying... duty to inform.

If not licensed and concealed carrying... your in deep do do.

However if a gun is legally stowed in the car, according to the following, there is no duty to inform. But common sense might lead you to inform before actively opening that area to retrieve information.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform

If licensed and not carrying... no duty to inform

If licensed and carrying... duty to inform.

If not licensed and concealed carrying... your in deep do do.
    +1

What's a "road check"? A Fourth Amendment violation?
    Anthony

Current EDC: Glock 23

yes road blocks are 4th amendment violations
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by threeLegDog View Post
    What's a "road check"? A Fourth Amendment violation?
    I'm certainly not trying to start anything here and I understand where you are coming from, but as I've stated before in other post, if a "road check" stops an idiot from driving and drinking, I'm for it. I had a very close friend killed by a drunk driver. If this drunk driver had been stopped at a road check on that day, my friend would probably still be alive. Just my feelings.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

SC has a duty to inform only if your licensed correct?
    You can NOT carry concealed in SC unless you possess a CWP. There is NO open carry in SC.
    If you are asked for identification, you must present your permit as well, and it would be a good idea to tell the officer you are armed and where it is concealed.

REVMAN, I'm with you. I'm suspicious of anyone who doesn't want to go through a road block. What'cha got to hide? Lots of drunk and doped drivers are caught that way, and even the occasional felon.

A fellow I know coming back from the beach saw a sign near Columbia that said "Slow Down Drug check point ahead". He was carrying a little pot with him so he got off at the next exit past the sign... and at the top of the ramp.... there was the Drug Check point. Dogs and all... Anyone who got off after seeing the sign was checked.

Busted....

Clever eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    You can NOT carry concealed in SC unless you possess a CWP. There is NO open carry in SC.
    If you are asked for identification, you must present your permit as well, and it would be a good idea to tell the officer you are armed and where it is concealed.

REVMAN, I'm with you. I'm suspicious of anyone who doesn't want to go through a road block. What'cha got to hide? Lots of drunk and doped drivers are caught that way, and even the occasional felon.

i dont go thru road blocks and i dont do any drugs nor do i drink..... it is a 4th amendment violation

jefferson said it best......

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

* Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stewart (23 December 1791)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

If you have your CHL and are carrying maybe you should already know the laws,
    Try handgunlaw link on this site.
    It might just save you some trouble down the road.

Years ago in Western Kansas during Pheasant season they posted a sign on I 70 game check ahead,just before an off ramp,every body that took the ramp was checked and was over limit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links