Probably going to miss an important clinic due to location

This is a discussion on Probably going to miss an important clinic due to location within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a clinic next month involving some new repair techniques that I was looking forward to attending next month. It has always been held ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probably going to miss an important clinic due to location

Probably going to miss an important clinic due to location

There is a clinic next month involving some new repair techniques that I was looking forward to attending next month. It has always been held at a particular business location every year, until this year. For some reason, it has been moved to a high school band room in Atlanta. Now, there is no way I am going to Atlanta without protection, and normally, I would just suck it up and leave it locked up in my vehicle.

However, if I'm not mistaken, it is illegal in the state of Georgia for me to have a firearm in my vehicle on school property unless I am in the process of picking up or dropping off a student. So once there, I cannot carry it on me and I cannot leave it locked in my vehicle.

Any suggestions?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Shelf the gun and go. You CAN go out without a gun, I've been doing it for the last 10 months, you can deal with it if the clinic is worth it to you. If you're not willing to go, it can't be that important.

Just thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    it is illegal in the state of Georgia for me to have a firearm in my vehicle on school property unless I am in the process of picking up or dropping off a student.

Any suggestions?
    What if YOU are the student?
    If I understand correctly, you can therefore have the gun in your car because you are driving a student (you) to and from the school.
    Right?

Just thinking....

Either that or, ... what JD said.

I gotta take my kids up to Buckley AFB.
    I'll be unarmed. (Gotta do what I gotta do.) Sure I don't like having to go unarmed, but sometimes that's life.

(If Obama has his way, we'll all be unarmed soon. It's not likely though.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Don't take this the wrong way, I am a friend, but

Get over it and leave your pistol at home.

You don't have to like the law, you just have to follow it.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Shelf the gun and go. You CAN go out without a gun, I've been doing it for the last 10 months, you can deal with it if the clinic is worth it to you. If you're not willing to go, it can't be that important.
    +1.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

VIP Member
    Situations like this one are an excellent opportunity for us to realize that having a gun IS NOT the only way to protect ourselves! We need to have many tools in our arsenal as well as developing situational awareness and tactics. Weaponless defense training is very important.

Maybe you don't normally carry pepper spray because you have "enough junk" but... if you must leave your weapon behind, you then have room for a can of spray for just one example.

With a little planning and practice you can add several tools to go along with weaponless defense training.

Your weapon is your last choice, not very often your first!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You could park off campus.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    You could park off campus.
    My thoughts exactly! Just park down the street half a block.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I go with all the above replies!

Well done as usual!

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ever heard the term "guncentric"?...youve actually managed to survive this long without using your gun to protect yourself...if you believe you cannot live without it you are a prisoner in your own world...missing an important event or training because you cant carry your gun is a really poor editorial of your priorities...

there are many different ways to protect yourself...invest in them and utilize them when you cannot carry...

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Situations like this one are an excellent opportunity for us to realize that having a gun IS NOT the only way to protect ourselves! We need to have many tools in our arsenal as well as developing situational awareness and tactics. Weaponless defense training is very important.

Maybe you don't normally carry pepper spray because you have "enough junk" but... if you must leave your weapon behind, you then have room for a can of spray for just one example.

With a little planning and practice you can add several tools to go along with weaponless defense training.

Your weapon is your last choice, not very often your first!
    Good counsel, Thumper. I agree!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    ever heard the term "guncentric"?...youve actually managed to survive this long without using your gun to protect yourself...if you believe you cannot live without it you are a prisoner in your own world...missing an important event or training because you cant carry your gun is a really poor editorial of your priorities...
    Can't say I've never been guilty of this.
    My wife finally snapped me out of it.

To the OP:
    There are always ways around things, even without breaking any laws. I'd say the easiest way would be to park away from the school. A little exercise never hurt anybody.

On a larger long-term scale, one way to fix the problem is to get involved with the political process. Although Missouri was one of the more recent states to get CC, we learned from others' mistakes and came up with a pretty decent law. Parking lots are not considered part of any of the "banned" areas. Laws CAN be revised and changed. A couple years ago the state legislature realized the "permit to transfer a concealable firearm" law was impractical and took it off the books. (You had to get a permit from the sheriff to sell or even loan a pistol- this made it difficult for instructors to loan weapons to students for CCW courses, and technically, even your spouse couldn't pick up your pistol without breaking the law).

Maybe there's a DC member in that city that you could trust to store your firearms while you attend your training, better yet one who's credentialed (e.g. NRA, LEO, military- someone accountable to someone other than you). Or possibly there's a short-term storage locker available, e.g. one of those mailbox stores or something. Good luck finding a solution.

Semper Fi
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

To the people telling me its okay to go somewhere without a gun, obviously. I go places all the time without my gun, especially local schools when I make deliveries. However, I will NOT intentionally go to a known hostile environment unarmed. Atlanta has notorious gang problems, not to mention anything could occur during the two hour drive there. I am going to Gwinnett county and sure enough the very first search I did brought this up:

Gwinnett police arrest 6 for street gang activity | ajc.com

Almost a good suggestion of parking off campus. According to the maps, I've got about a 1/4 mile walk from the closest thing which is a church. Oh wait, Georgia says no guns at church (including within 600 feet). So that's out. Everything else is private residence. It may not be possible to park on the neighborhood streets. The next closest thing is a state park a little over a mile away. In warmer weather and without the tools and supplies I would have with me? Sure. Given the area I think it would have probably been a nice walk.

Pepper spray.....hmmm....this is doable I think. I haven't found anything yet saying its illegal to carry pepper spray into a Georgia school.

Somebody in another thread mentioned pawning it short term which I found humorous considering I don't think I've ever seen a pawn shop in a good area of town.

Given that there was so much green space around this particular school, I checked out the demographics and background and it is apparently in a rather affluent area so its probably not as bad as I originally thought. So far its looking like the pepper spray option is the best so far.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    please let us know how many people who do attend the function are victimized...

Park off campus on the street if you have too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links