Can i Carry a Black Powder Revolver in SC without a permit??? - Page 3

Can i Carry a Black Powder Revolver in SC without a permit???

This is a discussion on Can i Carry a Black Powder Revolver in SC without a permit??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im asking a legitimate question....is there any reason that it would be illegal? am i missing something here? some obscure law in another code section ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Can i Carry a Black Powder Revolver in SC without a permit???

im asking a legitimate question....is there any reason that it would be illegal? am i missing something here? some obscure law in another code section etc
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Administrator
    Play nicely kids or it will be "Quiet Time" for this thread.

I apologize to everyone concerned if anyone thinks I have not played nicely.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

its alright buddy its just a mental exercise...i see no reason it would be illegal im gonna write SLED and see what they say :P
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

im gonna write SLED and see what they say :P
    That's probably a good idea. Be sure to post their reply verbatim to this thread.

BTW, do you like crow?

I know the OP mentioned concealed. However, as a GA resident I cannot legally carry a regular pistol openly or concealed in SC.

So, it looks like there is the option of a black-powder pistol carried openly, if the laws haven't changed since 2010 on this.

It's called the 2nd Amendment, and if all I can carry is a BP pistol openly, I'll take it. It's NOT skirting the law if it is not against the law. If I am arrested falsely, I assume I can sue and win at least my attorney's fees.

Why should I be deprived of life or health (from a criminal attack if unarmed) just because I want to visit SC? I've lawfully carried in GA for over twenty years. Is my life or my family's lives worth less just because we cross state lines?
    nlyric likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    get away with what its not getting away with something if its legal
    That's what your question was!!!! I am a little confused by the responses to your question. There are so many laws that forbid things. It makes it difficult to be sure that " there is no law" that would punish you for taking the LIBERTY.
    Here in Texas there is no law or provided penalty for carrying a BP/curio openly.
    The lack there of means one is free to take the LIBERTY to do so.
    Aimless likes this.
    "It's almost like a right, except without the pesky Liberty"
    Author unknown.....

Get a Walker Colt replica and give it a whirl to find out. I suspect you will be tired enough in an hour or so to give up on the idea.

Distinguished Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Ask the LEOs in the areas you plan to carry your hog leg. It is like nuking from orbit, it's the only way to know for sure.

VIP Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    The defense attorneys are gonna love you....
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

In this country, you do have the right to be arrested. This right is routinely employed by protesters under civil disobedience.

My guess for this situation is that it would likely play out like a FOPA issue in New York.

In that state, FOPA is an "affirmative defense." The law may protect you from a guilty verdict, but it does not prevent confiscation of the properly transported firearm, it won't prevent arrest and booking, it won't eliminate the need to post bail, and it will still be a pain to recover your property. The affirmative defense only applies in court, not on the side of the road.

So while it is possible the law may have a hole big enough to squeeze a BP pistol through, you may also find yourself exercising your right to remain silent. You may also learn about other non-gun statutes, perhaps something in the area of public nuisance, health and safety, any number of issues having nothing to do with federal 2A rights.
    Rudy in Tennessee - Sig SP2022, Maverick 88, and one really good dog

"Well regulated" shouldn't be confusing...

Im taking required "Continuing Legal Education" (CLEs) courses right now. I have one playing in the background.

The one I am currently listening to is titled "Drafting Gun Trusts". I mention all this, as one of the first topics announced was "What is a firearm?". And I dont mean as in explaining what is a pistol or rifle to people that never saw a gun before, I mean as in the OPs initial post. Ie what counts, under what set of laws/definitions? Do black powder weapons count? Etc.

Interesting topic.

Distinguished Member
    We have post after post pointing out the value of a reliable gun when it is needed most. I'm not sure why anyone would to carry the BP version when a reliable model is best. After all, the only reason to carry is for defensive purposes (I'm not talking about going hunting).

Why would you want to? Next there will be a question on air guns so felons can hunt.

Sir, QkShooter answered your question with legal quotes on the first page of this thread. It may not be legally a handgun, but it DOES fit your states definition of a Deadly Weapon, and is barred from carry.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links