handgunlaw.us and NRA state law PDFs don't tell me...

This is a discussion on handgunlaw.us and NRA state law PDFs don't tell me... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a resource that indicates which states you must disclose to a LEO that you are carrying concealed? I know it is on me ...

Thread: handgunlaw.us and NRA state law PDFs don't tell me...

handgunlaw.us and NRA state law PDFs don't tell me...

Is there a resource that indicates which states you must disclose to a LEO that you are carrying concealed? I know it is on me to read the statutes to be sure, but a nice easy spot that indicates such (and maybe the statutes) would be nice. Neither handgunlaw.us or the NRA state law sites seem to quickly point out this key factor.

I know in the state I live you do not have to disclose to a LEO that you are carrying unless they specifically ask, then you must (duh!). I have had two LEO tell me they would rather not know, and one who said always tell. I likely won't unless I have to, but if I am traveling to a state where there is mandatory disclosure I want to make sure I do so.

I am specifically looking at Missouri and Kansas for this trip.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    That info IS on Handgunlaw.us

JD, that's not something I've found on Handgunlaw.us Could up give me a hint as to where to find it?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    JD, that's not something I've found on Handgunlaw.us Could up give me a hint as to where to find it?
    Sure, from the main page, just click on the state and it brings up a PDF with that state's information. The top half of the PDF is what I inserted above.

wow, I am blind as a bat or just too much in a hurry or both!!! Thanks for the help.

Mamakennedy, if you go to handgunlaw.us and click on a state a PDF loads, on that PDF in the upper right corner you will see what JD circled.

Thanks all!!!

Ok, I found my problem...there is no state map to click on for me. I think my browser is not loading the page correctly.

In Firefox it wont load correctly, but in IE it loaded the map.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    IF you can't see the maps on handgunlaw.us make sure the link you are putting in or clicking on doesn't have a . (Period) at the end of the url. That shuts down all the graphics.

I have also had people email me who couldn't see the maps because their Virus Scan blocked all the maps. Also download the PDF reader again from Adobe as I have had people who couldn't see the maps because their adobe reader was corrupted and downloading it again fixed their problem. A restart of your computer may solve this problem also. Hope this helps.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    Ok, I found my problem...there is no state map to click on for me. I think my browser is not loading the page correctly.

In Firefox it wont load correctly, but in IE it loaded the map.
    I use Firefox 3.5.6 and it works perfectly. Just go the main page at Handgunlaw.us and then left click on the state you want to investigate.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I don't have a period at the end of the URL,
    I went thru the virus scan and even tried it without it,
    I went thru my firewall and even tried it without it,
    I downloaded the latest Adobe reader,
    I upgraded my Firefox to the newest version, and
    I went thru the Firefox page options to make sure I wasn't blocking the images or anything...

It still wont load the map on the main page in Firefox, but it will in IE.

If you give me most any injury or illness and I know what to do or can figure it out quickly...not so much with computers.

you need to up date your flash plugin or upgrade firefox.
    flash.com
    A lack of preparation on your part does not and will not constitute an emergency on mine.

E.A.A. Windicator 2" .357/.38 revolver
    CHP carrier since Oct. 15, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by goab View Post
    you need to up date your flash plugin or upgrade firefox.
    flash.com
    Go here to update your Adobe Flash Player

The map is a .gif file being loaded by Flash Player. The Adobe Reader only works for .pdf files.

Mic
    Google your Q and the answer will follow, but in my experiance most LEOs would like to be told be for they find out, witch they wil when they run your DL. Dosn't hurt to disclose that you carry, You have the right, you have the CWP, you have nothing to hide.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    ... in my experience most LEOs would like to be told be for they find out, witch they wil when they run your DL. Dosn't hurt to disclose that you carry, You have the right, you have the CWP, you have nothing to hide.
    I totally agree. Although in FL we do not have to, I always notify the LEO that I have CCW and that I carry a firearm; if they ask me for my DL I handle it along with my CCW permit. I have been stopped a couple of times while carrying and the LEOs appreciated that I informed them about it; furthermore, they were very professional and courteous.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Google your Q and the answer will follow, but in my experiance most LEOs would like to be told be for they find out, witch they wil when they run your DL. Dosn't hurt to disclose that you carry, You have the right, you have the CWP, you have nothing to hide.
    That all depends upon the state; it doesn't happen everywhere. In Connecticut, the two databases are separate.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

In Kansas (which is one of the states in the original question), when the LEO runs your DL a screen comes up that says whether or not you have CCH permit, and the current status of said permit. He'll know if you're current, suspended or revoked.

Part of my carry plan is to inform the LEO when stopped, and ask for directions on how he/she would like me to proceed.

Links