Weapons Carry Condition Codes, Awareness Color Codes - Page 2

Weapons Carry Condition Codes, Awareness Color Codes

This is a discussion on Weapons Carry Condition Codes, Awareness Color Codes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it safe to say then that a revolver is always in Condition One?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weapons Carry Condition Codes, Awareness Color Codes

Is it safe to say then that a revolver is always in Condition One?
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Is it safe to say then that a revolver is always in Condition One?
    Yes, unless it's capable of single action, if the hammer is then cocked, it's at Condition Negative 2.5.

OD*

The original Color Code

As a comparison, the "color codes" as originally introduced by Jeff Cooper. The Color Code

White - Relaxed, unaware, and unprepared. If attacked in this state the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy and ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alertness. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." There is no specific threat but you are aware that the world is an unfriendly place and that you are prepared to do something if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and your carriage says "I am alert." You don't have to be armed in this state but if you are armed you must be in yellow. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "I thought this might happen some day." You can live in this state indefinitely.

Orange - Specific alert. Something not quite right has gotten your attention and you shift your primary focus to that thing. Something is "wrong" with a person or object. Something may happen. Your mindset is that "I may have to shoot that person." Your pistol is usually holstered in this state. You can maintain this state for several hours with ease, or a day or so with effort.

Red - Fight trigger. This is your mental trigger. "If that person does "x" I will shoot them." Your pistol may, but not necessarily, be in your hand.

And his Conditions of Readiness.

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also called "cocked and locked", this means that a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety is on.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked.

Condition 3 - There is no round in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked but a fully loaded magazine is inserted in the mag well.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, the hammer is uncocked and there is no magazine inserted in the mag well
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Can we add Pink to the color codes? That would be going from condition Yellow to being distracted by a cute female for a short period of time.

In all seriousness though, great and informative post. I think it's sticky worthy.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

JD- thanks for stepping in!

Katana- I love it! We actually awarded a MCMAP "pink belt" certificate to one of our female civilian contractors who was especially fashion conscious.

OD- thanks for adding another perspective. We don't all speak the same "language" all the time.

Semper Fi
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links