Rate the seven C's of CC

This is a discussion on Rate the seven C's of CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I only have 3 C's, Comfort, Concealment, Can I get to it? Everyone balances these differant, including the other C's listed by others. So isnt ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate the seven C's of CC

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I only have 3 C's, Comfort, Concealment, Can I get to it?
    Everyone balances these differant, including the other C's listed by others. So isnt alot of this just preference?
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    The only " C " I consider is CONFIDENCE

I'm confident that my firearm is always with me.
    I'm confident that I have the ability to deliver accurate fire to target rather it be 5 feet or 50 yards.
    I'm confident that my firearm will function as required
    I'm confident that the caliber is capable of performing it's required task.
    I'm confident that my ammunition provides the highest performance available.

My Confidence comes from decades of training and carry.

"Yeah though I walk thru the valley ........... "

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Life has no guarantees, anything can malfunction and it may happen at the worst (Murphy) time.

Confidence
    Center of Mass
    Call 911 (and an attorney)

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Life has no guarantees, anything can malfunction and it may happen at the worst (Murphy) time.

Confidence
    Center of Mass
    Call 911 (and an attorney)

I can always count on Retsup99 to give me the common sense answer LOL.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by fcoliver View Post
    For example, around the house I've "tried out" my OMT Back-up .380 in stainless, the smallest caliber I'd carry, and almost the smallest gun I have. It slips very nicely into a jeans pocket, but I don't believe I could shoot it accurately or comfortably with just two fingers on the grip (and such a small sight radius.)

Be assured I'm looking for opinions, not a fight.

Fred
    The highlighted section above indicates to me that you need to focus on SD shooting. Just about every course will teach you that your front sight is all you'll use so the sight radius is immaterial. You can also do fine with a two rather than 3 finger grip. It isn't target or bullseye shooting anymore. You need to set your equipment up for your own CC situation(s).

I have 3 pistols set up for CC which allows me to select the "best" setup for each of MY CC situations and also provide for me to always carry.

My preferred option is to carry a G26 (12+1) in a fanny pack or super tuck with 2 spare mags and a P380 (6+1) in my pocket or IWB as a bug. I'm older and live in a tourist area so I can get away with the fanny pack since a lot of people have them. I've just acquired a PM9 to use either as a primary or as a BUG.

My next choice will be the PM9, pocket or IWB with the P380 as a BUG and the final choices are either the PM9 or P380 in a pocket where deep concealment is needed.

The G26 has Trijicon night sights an a CT LG, The PM9 is getting a Big Dot front sight with the rear blacked out and has a CT LG and the P380 is getting the Big Dot with the blackened rear and CT LG.

My weekly range time is devoted to center of mass, multiple rapid shots on target and mag changes, not eliminating the center of a target.

My lifestyle and activities are varied and don't lend themselves to one CC solution - YMMV.

I feel comfortable with my any of my weapons. My key considerations are a reliable weapon and backup where possible, with the most firepower possible. I carry th most I can within the limits of my social agenda and the law.

If I ever decide to start bullseye shooting, I'll get an appropriate weapon.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

Maybe another "C" ???

I might add "Convenience" and place it just after "Comfort".

Thinking about when I go into a bank, a guvment office, or other non-permitted area for carry. If I can easily and conveniently slip out an IWB-holstered pistol, leave it in the car, and put it back quickly and easily upon returning to the car, I'm much more likely to have it with me at the next stop (most likely WalMart. )

(Or do people leave the gun in the car and the empty holster in place IWB?)

GTOGuy, confidence does include proficiency. I just chose to use "confidence" for the reliability of the gun/ammo, and "control" for my ability to use it. They might be combined, however "control" factors in gun size, weight, caliber, grip size, sight radius, etcetera, as well as practice time with a given gun/ammo combination.

Hardcorp79, thank you for your service. Several people listed "cost" higher than I did. No value judgement there; the whole list is about personal priorities. I agree with your choice of calibers but lean toward the 9mm as a compromise, thinking I might give up some comfort and concealment to have a 9mm instead of .380.

gknola, I'm thinking that in NOLA you'd have to add a "C" for corrosion resistance. Most of my shooting (in the mid-to-late 80's) was IPSC matches with a Gold Cup, but I recognize it's common, if not easy, in a stressful situation, to miss a man-sized target at 7 yards... more so with a smaller gun. Bullseye shooting aside, it seems a sight radius of 4" (Back-up) vs. 5.25" (G26) vs. 6.3" (P226) could make a significant difference in accuracy under stress.

I note some will choose caliber over comfort/concealment, another question intrinsic to my original post, and not a surprise. (Again, no criticism or value judgement implied or intended; it's all personal choice.)

Thanks, once more, for your thoughts and opinions.

Fred

Good topic...

confidence in yourself should be on the list. Your mindset is very importand

confidence in your weapon a close 2nd
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links