Rate the seven C's of CC

Rate the seven C's of CC

This is a discussion on Rate the seven C's of CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Confidence - reliability: will it feed, eject and go bang every time? Control - can you handle it comfortably and fire it accurately? Concealability - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate the seven C's of CC

Rate the seven C's of CC

Confidence - reliability: will it feed, eject and go bang every time?
    Control - can you handle it comfortably and fire it accurately?
    Concealability - can you hide it well, even in summer clothes?
    Comfort - will your holster be comfy sitting, bending, driving?
    Caliber - obviously bigger is better
    Capacity - obviously more is better
    Cost - both initial cost and the cost to practice

Recognizing EVERYTHING involves a trade-off, i.e. that a larger gun has more capacity and better control but is less concealable and less comfortable. One that costs less may be less reliable. Bigger caliber means less capacity.

This (above) is how I would order these factors, but I'm a newbie and am curious to know if those more experienced would have different priorities or add additional factors...

Fred

For me it's really just three Cs for CC.

Comfort, caliber and how easy it is to conceal, pretty much in that order.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    there is nothing obvious about caliber "the bigger the better"...a smaller caliber gun may be easier to control therefore more likely to hit its target multiple times in a short period if necessary...the statement that larger calibers have more capacity and better control is not necessarily a true statement...it can be confusing enough in here and this post will probably start an interesting and old battle...but htere are too many variables involved to make a generalized statement like that...

capacity...smaller calibers generally have more capacity...smaller size guns have less capacity in the same caliber...

could go on all day with those statements...

pax
    One more C = "Will you really carry?"

There's a lot you can and maybe will do on an occasional basis that you simply won't do day-in and day-out.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    Good first post Fred!

Hope to hear more from you.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Agree with the cliber statement that bigger doesn't always mean better,
    after all 2 .38 caliber holes are bigger then 1 .45.

Quote Originally Posted by fcoliver View Post

Recognizing EVERYTHING involves a trade-off, i.e. that a larger gun has more capacity and better control but is less concealable and less comfortable. One that costs less may be less reliable. Bigger caliber means less capacity.
    I like how you have ranked these. however I think avalibilty of ammo is another factor. I carry a 45 and have a hard time finding practice ammo. Self Defense ammo not so hard to find but I cannot aford to shoot much of it for practice. I sometimes wish I had a 40SW because I can find ammo all day long for it as well as 9mm.

First welcome from Central Texas!!!!!

I like what PAX said, if you don't carry all the time it is very likely that when you need a gun you want have one.

I carry a small 380 and have been taught to shoot until the threat is stopped.

Wife and I both shoot our P3AT as accurately as our 9mmers and that is very accurate and very fast.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm not sure I can rank the 7 C's. For me, none of them stand out as being at the top or the bottom. I don't own 'the perfect gun,' but do have a few that meet my criteria which include some, if not all, of the listed C's.

Great first post. Welcome to DC.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

For me, the first consideration is Confidence. I don't care how cool some new model is, I'm not going to spend my money or risk my life carrying something that isn't time-tested and proven.

My carry choices reflect that philosophy. (see signature line) In the better part of a decade, I've never had either malfunction in any way. 100% reliable with literally thousands of rounds downrange.

Next, unfortunately would be cost. I'm living on enlisted pay with a family of five. I have to be watch every dime. I would love to have a Wilson Combat 1911 or some souped up Les Baer or even just a Kimber. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to afford those until the kids are out of the house and paying their own way. Fortunately, not all reliable firearms cost an arm and a leg.

The remainder, I'm pretty flexible on.

WRT to caliber, I'm competent shooting anything up to .50cal, but due to cost, availability and stopping power would stick with the big five: .380, 9mm, .40, .45, and .38/.357. There are so many options with these that I think many of the other rounds are unnecessary. Not that there's anything wrong with them, they just seem superfluous to me.

Concealability is certainly an issue, especially for a small-framed person like myself who isn't into the saggy-baggy look. But innovation can overcome this. Cover garments and holster options abound. I probably wouldn't opt for a full-size 1911 or any other large frame for summer carry, but it CAN be achieved with a bit of ingenuity.

To me, the remaining three, comfort, control and capacity fall into sort of the same category. These can all be addressed with proper training and familiarization, so I don't consider them too much. See some of my other recent posts as I address these topics in some depth.

Semper Fi
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

1. Confidence
    2. Control
    3. Concealability
    4. Comfort
    5. Capacity
    6. Caliber
    7. Cost

I carry a 642 with CT grips -- I think my priority list defines my snubby pretty well.

John

GM
    For me they are 5 C’s pretty much in following order:
    Concealability
    Cost
    Control
    Caliber
    Comfort
    In my case “Cost” does not refer to the initial cost of buying the gun, but to the ammo. If I cannot afford to practice in order to be competent shooting with my carry weapon then I better I leave it at home.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It is an interesting list. I like most of the listed items, but I think confidence involves more than the reliability and mechanical function of the firearm. Confidence should involve other areas, such as proficiency with the firearm.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Thanks to all for your responses, and for the warm welcome. I've been lurking here for weeks, while awaiting my CHP (which I picked up yesterday.) Have also been walking around the house for weeks with various handguns "concealed" in various locations and holsters.

Pax, I think the final "C" (will you really carry?) relates to the others: If I'm confident in the weapon's reliability, can hit what I aim for, and can wear it comfortably, I will carry it. Well, concealment is also an issue there, since I don't want someone at a Rotary meeting asking if I'm carrying a gun!

Bladenbullet, I did not say larger calibers have more capacity and better control; I said larger handguns have more capacity and better control. (And I'm not looking to start a caliber war; it just seems to me that caliber and capacity should be two factors to consider in choosing a weapon to carry concealed.)

For example, around the house I've "tried out" my OMT Back-up .380 in stainless, the smallest caliber I'd carry, and almost the smallest gun I have. It slips very nicely into a jeans pocket, but I don't believe I could shoot it accurately or comfortably with just two fingers on the grip (and such a small sight radius.)

Someone living in a "bad" neighborhood might rank capacity higher and concealment lower. Someone in an NPE would give up capacity over concealment.

Be assured I'm looking for opinions, not a fight.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fcoliver View Post

This (above) is how I would order these factors, but I'm a newbie and am curious to know if those more experienced would have different priorities or add additional factors...

Fred
    Not necessarily. Off the top of my head, I can think of a bunch of guns that score very favorably in all of those catagories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links