Drinking and CCW-Updated question, see post #40.

This is a discussion on Drinking and CCW-Updated question, see post #40. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TX-JB Exactly, you must meet the intoxication standard set forth by the DWI statutes, to be intoxicated... as long as you're below ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drinking and CCW-Updated question, see post #40.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Exactly, you must meet the intoxication standard set forth by the DWI statutes, to be intoxicated... as long as you're below .08 BAC you're good to go...
    That use to be one beer an hour to stay on the safe side but I don't know if that applies anymore or not.

2. Remove Ads

Cool

I'm in PA. In this state, there is no statute prohibiting drinking and CC'ing. It is even legal to go to a bar and drink.
    I myself always CC and I'm a very heavy daily drinker too. Although my drink of choice is coffee, of which I consume at least a pot a day..lol
    Seriously though, if I were a person who wanted to have a drink other than coffee with dinner when I was out, then I would. I would never drink more than 1 glass of wine if that were the case, so I'm sure I would be well below the .08 BAC. Besides, I wouldn't ever drink and drive so that is a moot point as well.
    Always stay safe, and if you are going to drink, then perhaps you should consider not carrying when you are going to consume more than you should.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

In WI it is a criminal offense to be armed and intoxicated the exact charge is Endangering Safety By Use of a Dangerous Weapon.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

In CO you can not be under the influence and armed. Most judges agree that is the same as DUI. I guess that would be CUI (CCW under the influence). In NV the limit is .1 BAC foe CCW and .08 for DUI. States vary greatly.

There are two ways to look at it. If you want to carry don't drink or it's better to have alcohol in your blood that formaldehyde. Better to be judged by 12 peers than carried by 6 friends.

I don't want to hear "Sir could you please step out of the car"? armed or not. So I rarely drink away from home if my wife drinks. Best advice is don't drink away from home, a car is 5.000 pound weapon!!!!

in GA its legal to drink(not at a resturant and bars are off limits) at a private residence your good to go...but you cant target shoot,hunt etc when drunk but you can shoot in self-defense(i assume this is so your home is broke into you can fire even after a few....)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I'm in Oregon, where there are no legal restrictions on this. I'm not someone who gets rowdy when drunk. I always carry, drunk or sober. My only personal "rule" is that I don't handle guns when I've got any alcohol at all in me. If I'm still drunk when I get home, the holster stays in my pants and I don't touch the gun until I'm sober. I've never come remotely close to any problems.

If I'm out and about I don't have any alcohol of any kind.

Not a big drinker anyway cause I'm always armed, and it's illegal to carry while drinking. If at home and having a beer or two, I don't go around the house locking up all the firearms though.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

O.k, I live in MI so the laws may be different.

In my CCW class, the instructor (a Detroit cop) said that if you're going to drink, to unload the magazine into a ziplock or something like that and store the ammo and gun in separate parts of the car.

He said that while some cops may go for the loaded mag out of the gun as being "unloaded", technically a loaded mag near the gun means that the gun is "loaded" in the eyes of the law.

To the other posters, the OP was not asking about drinking and carrying, he's asking how to secure his weapon if he's carrying and decides to have drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    To the other posters, the OP was not asking about drinking and carrying, he's asking how to secure his weapon if he's carrying and decides to have drinks.
    As every state could be different the simple answer is, DON'T DO IT. If you think you may have a drink or two, leave the weapon at home.

Chances are so high that, my answer and your answer isn't the LEO's answer, and the OP goes to jail and loses his CC permit. CC is a commitment and not so easily discarded when out and about.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

If im going to have 1 or 2 beers,im NOT concerned with my abilty to carry nor am I concerned with my safety.
    I will also add,if im out to dinner and have a couple of beers im not a safety hazzard on the road and do not feel im in anyway, shape or form a threat to other drivers.

VIP Member

Here we go again.

A new member ask a simple question about the State of CA's law.

Everyone gets on a soapbox.

OP, I can tell you about Virginia, but I don't know CA's law. If I did I answer you.

Is there someone who can answer the question?

Good luck, on getting a true response -- as apposed to a soapbox rant.
    Last edited by DaveH; December 31st, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    As every state could be different the simple answer is, DON'T DO IT. If you think you may have a drink or two, leave the weapon at home.

Chances are so high that, my answer and your answer isn't the LEO's answer, and the OP goes to jail and loses his CC permit. CC is a commitment and not so easily discarded when out and about.
    Just like Nancy Reagan said. "Just Don't Do It". You need all of your mental capacities in a life or death situation.

JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I know your looking for CA laws and not a lecture but I look at it the same way as drinking and driving. Theirs no law against carrying in a place that serves alcohol or drinking and carrying here in VT but use your judgment, if I have a beer or possibly 2 I will still drive and I will still carry but if plan to have more the gun stays home. I don't drink at bars, the only time I do is when I'm at home or having dinner with friends. Follow the law and use your own judgment that's all you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by kspilot536 View Post
    If im going to have 1 or 2 beers,im NOT concerned with my abilty to carry nor am I concerned with my safety.
    I will also add,if im out to dinner and have a couple of beers im not a safety hazzard on the road and do not feel im in anyway, shape or form a threat to other drivers.
    I agree 100%
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    What I want to say and what I will say are very different. Short and sweet and said already in kind tones---CCW and alcohol are a no no---period, end of story. If you want it clearer and more to the point, just ask.

A CWP carries a higher responsibility to the public. IMO, zero drinking while being armed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links