Drinking and CCW-Updated question, see post #40.

This is a discussion on Drinking and CCW-Updated question, see post #40. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Go get drunk then fire rounds into crowds of people JK!!!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drinking and CCW-Updated question, see post #40.

Go get drunk then fire rounds into crowds of people

JK!!!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    <snip> I will never be out of my house with a concealed pistol if I have had any alcohol.

Missouri Revised Statutes, Chapter 571, Section 571.107.1.(7).....Nothing in this subdivision authorizes any individual who has been issued a concealed carry endorsement to possess any firearm while intoxicated;

Intoxicated is not defined in the statutes. Therefore, you are at the mercy of the prosecutor. <snip>
    Kansas defined it. They even added on offense, Carrying Under the Influence. Same standard as DUI/DWI .08.

And I have a self-imposed limit of one if I'm carrying or driving. If plans are for more than that, it stays home.

There is no question alcohol impairs reaction time and judgement. You may say it takes 6 beers in 30 minutes or whatever before you feel that, but it isn't an on off thing. Every beer, whether you believe you feel it or not, impairs somewhat. MAYBE not enough to stop you from driving (thus all the blood alcohol limits in law)...I won't chase that red herring. But consider this, do you a) want to have the responsibility to carry or use a deadly weapon if you are not at your best and b) even if you just had one beer and the shtf and you shoot someone their attorney, even if it was a BG is going to rake you over the coals as a gun toting drunk who can't stop from having a beer and shooting people.

Forget what the CA law says, look at it from a personal responsibility and legal risk issue. Even if you are legal in CA, even if you believe a couple doesn't impact you, remember standards for civil judgments are likely a lot lower than criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    In WI it is a criminal offense to be armed and intoxicated the exact charge is Endangering Safety By Use of a Dangerous Weapon.
    Don't get me started on Wisconsin! I grew up there. I've been stationed there with the Army. I have relatives there in LE at various levels including the state department of justice.

The AG says "Open Carry is Legal." That's problematic given transportation requirements. WI Supreme Court ruling says 'gun in passenger compartment, unloaded and cased (i.e. not visible because it's in the case) is possession of a concealed weapon.' And if it's not unloaded and cased you're in violation as well, because it can't be transported in a vehicle unless it's unloaded and cased.

The only way it's legal to transport is not in the passenger compartment. So it's the trunk, or the truck bed, or the roof of the minivan.

So "Open Carry is Legal" is half-true.

"There is no question alcohol impairs reaction time and judgement. You may say it takes 6 beers in 30 minutes or whatever before you feel that, but it isn't an on off thing. Every beer, whether you believe you feel it or not, impairs somewhat. MAYBE not enough to stop you from driving (thus all the blood alcohol limits in law)...I won't chase that red herring. But consider this, do you a) want to have the responsibility to carry or use a deadly weapon if you are not at your best and b) even if you just had one beer and the shtf and you shoot someone their attorney, even if it was a BG is going to rake you over the coals as a gun toting drunk who can't stop from having a beer and shooting people."
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
    Old people are impaired and have slower reflexes than MANY people with a 6 pack in them.
    The state considers a 90 year old man with 2 hearing aids ,moderate alzheimers and barely able to crawl into his car a safe driver of a 4000 lb vehicle going down the street.
    How do I know?...my neighbor just got his permit renewed and I was shocked!
    If you use the theory of having to be you're VERY best ALL of the time while carrying..you won't be carrying 75% of the time and woman with PMS and all should not be carrying MOST of the time.

My question is why would you wqant to impair your ability to respond to an attack in public?

It's the last day of the year so I'm going to say what I really think.

California sucks. OK, got that off my chest.

Now for the important stuff. What a wonderful nation this would be if there were a federal law that required every person age 21 and over, both male and female who were not a convicted felon to have on their person at all times a loaded handgun with a minimum capacity of six rounds. Wonder what the crime rate would drop to.

My utopia would have no rules regarding the consumption of alcohol while armed. In it's infinite wisdom my make believe government would deem that to be a personal decision. There is one downside. Primers would be impossible to buy and would sell a dollar apiece.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Hey,when im 80 years old I will still carry.
    I know I will be physically impaired at that age compared to what I am now as far as motor skills,sight and hearing go..but im still going to carry!

I don't drink so can't put my two cents in..
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Ok, either I poorly typed the question, or most of you poorly read the question.
    Or there was not enough info in the question.

Let me try again – if I am going out to party the gun stay’s home – forget that get it out of your mind.

Now lets say I am driving around all day doing my job carrying my weapon, a friend calls and say’s hey if you are close come by for one. Or let’s say the wife calls and say’s hey we are all meeting at the bowling alley at 5pm – I say ok

Now I am 10 miles from home at the bowling alley or my friend’s house. I unload my gun and put it in the truck safe and the loaded magazine in the back of the truck (with lid)

Now can I go have a few beers or when I get in the truck am I still carrying

Nahh you didn't type the question poorly, just that people around here can get preachy, and some simply just have poor reading comprehension.

The best answer I can give you, is to check with the CA Attorney Generals Office, or your local PD and see what they say is the best way to store the weapon in the case of the example(s) you gave.

Realize though, that no matter what you're told by them, a over zealous anti-2a prosecutor may/will still likely try and use the alcohol consumption against you should you run into trouble.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by RGERBER View Post
    Ok, either I poorly typed the question, or most of you poorly read the question.
    Or there was not enough info in the question.

Let me try again – if I am going out to party the gun stay’s home – forget that get it out of your mind.

Now lets say I am driving around all day doing my job carrying my weapon, a friend calls and say’s hey if you are close come by for one. Or let’s say the wife calls and say’s hey we are all meeting at the bowling alley at 5pm – I say ok

Now I am 10 miles from home at the bowling alley or my friend’s house. I unload my gun and put it in the truck safe and the loaded magazine in the back of the truck (with lid)

You need to research your state and local laws. Obviously, no one who has posted in this thread knows the answer to your question.
    Many don't seem to understand that the law they live under doesn't apply to you. Hence my sig line.

I don't know a thing about CA carry law, so here's a link to get you started.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf

Concealed carry

· Consume any alcoholic beverage.
    · Be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption.
    The above is from the California website.

One would think that if the gun was NOT in your manual reach; concealed or not, on your person; or such, then you are not considered to be "carrying".

At least in the state of Florida, carrying is considered to be on your person (or in a purse), within you manual reach, etc ., you do not have a concealed weapon.
    If its in you car trunk, unloaded and encased, its certainly not being "carried".....
    Florida law even allows for being legally intoxicated and USING the gun for LAWFULL self-defense; however, but not carrying concealed

Quote Originally Posted by RGERBER View Post

It's locked in the trunk ... it is not on your person ... neither can you access it from inside the vehicle ...

Logic says you are not carrying. You state law may say different.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    I think it's very commendable that you would care enough to ask your question... that's being responsible!

Personally, if I were to have even one drink I would not carry. That's just me. I agree that locked up in your trunk separated from the ammo complies with Kalifornia law and is NOT carrying.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links