Reliability of pistols- review and testimony - Page 4

Reliability of pistols- review and testimony

This is a discussion on Reliability of pistols- review and testimony within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the years, I have had almost every brand of handgun fail on me. No the safe queens that get shot once a year or ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reliability of pistols- review and testimony

Over the years, I have had almost every brand of handgun fail on me. No the safe queens that get shot once a year or so but my users. Things wear out. Even GLOCKS had broken on me - broken rear rail, cracked slide, trigger spring, safety spring, take down spring, etc.
    As far as reliability, I would saw:
    S&w Revolvers
    Glocks
    Les Baer
    Wilson Combat
    Walther PPK & PPS
    Colt 1911's that have been turned.
    HP's reg & tuned

Kel-tec's have worked OK and so has NAA Guardian and Mini
    Ruger revolvers have been almost indestructable - I have tried.

I have others but have not shot them enough (5000+) to comment.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Almost forgot:
    S&W 41
    Browning Medalist
    Ruger 22/45
    Ruger Single 6
    S&W 63 and 17
    All have been flawless for MANY years
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    I have owned 20 guns in many years as a shooter.
    Colt, Smith, Rossi, Ruger, Charter Arms, Browning, High Standard, and even a Hi-point.
    All went bang every time, unless shooting older--surplus ammo.
    Except the Rossi which had a minor problem out of the box and the dealers gunsmith fixed it . However, this was 25 years ago

The keys are:
    1. Learn the gun--some automatics will not tolerate a limp wrist.
    2. Break it in. Seeing many rounds go thru it builds confidence.
    3. Practice with it. Hey, lets get real here--You are carrying it for self protection, right? Be sure you can place your shots wherethey will stop the BG right now. You may not get additional shots if you fail....
    4. Clean and maintain it. Very important espacially in a semi-auto gun.
    5. Use good quality ammo. Cheap or surplus ammo is just that. With a semi-auto if it don't fire, you just can't pull the trigger again and bring up a fresh round, like you can in a Revolver.
    6. Seek assistance in getting a gun which suits your NEED and fits YOU.

get a good quality gun from a reptutable manufacture with good ammo, and you will be satisfied.
    Excellent post!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Well....we have been this route before but I will play.....Glock, FN, and all my S&W revolvers......NO malfunctions. Period.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I was a Glock hater! I mean for years I hated them. I finally bought one. I gave up most of everything else. I have had my glock eat every thing I have thrown at it. FMJ, HPs factory of all sorts, lead, reloads and not even a burp.

I have been on the line with with almost every other type of guns and seen many failures.

Is the glock perfect? Nope, but I am convinced it is one heck of a gun.
    Templar

I carry the XDm40 everyday all day and as of yet, no problems. I am an instructor at a range and shoot maybe 50rds everyday except on Sunday...

Thats more like 150rds!

XD9 no malfunctions in 1000 rounds

Taurus 85 no malfunctions in 200 rounds

Kel Tec 380 no malfunctions in 150 rounds

Taurus Tracker 44mag at least 1 out of 5 in the cylinder wouldnt fire due to light primer strikes(200 rounds). Sent it back to Taurus for repairs. No malfunction since(300 rounds).

S&W fs M&P 9mm....2500 rounds, solid as a rock.

Straight from the box too, without cleaning. Actually, it's only been cleaned once.

Charter Arms Undercover 38 Special Circa 1979
    3 fail to fires in 1000 rounds but since they all had good primer strikes based on the divit I am going to attribute this to cheap mail order practice ammo.

My mother on the other hand had a Berretta Tomcat 22LR that was a POS. She had multiple stovepipes, and a few fail to fires, a couple of casings that didn't eject far enough to get to a stove pipe.
    I told her the first time we shot it, to take it back right then and there, she didn't. After another 6 months and same problems she did finally trade it for a 22 revolver.
    (Yeah, I know I can't convince her to get a real SD caliber)

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Charter Arms Undercover 38 Special Circa 1979
    3 fail to fires in 1000 rounds but since they all had good primer strikes based on the divit I am going to attribute this to cheap mail order practice ammo.

My mother on the other hand had a Berretta Tomcat 22LR that was a POS. She had multiple stovepipes, and a few fail to fires, a couple of casings that didn't eject far enough to get to a stove pipe.
    I told her the first time we shot it, to take it back right then and there, she didn't. After another 6 months and same problems she did finally trade it for a 22 revolver.
    (Yeah, I know I can't convince her to get a real SD caliber)
    Bigger would be better for sure, but as long as she knows one's just not gonna be enough and to be sure and add some more. It's better than being a helpless victim.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    just over last couple of years...

taurus pt111...several thousand rounds without a hiccup...feeds whatever i load it with...good accuracy for me with a short sight radius...my primary light carry...

taurus 1911....several thousand rounds without a hiccup...fun to shoot but not so fun to carry...tremendous accuracy and damn good looking...ended up trading off for good money toward a g30sf...

g19 & g30sf....fairly new...several hundred rounds without a hiccup and very good accuracy (better than me)...both do carry duty depending on what i'm wearing that day...

s&w 22a...countless number of rounds....spend more time playing with this toy at the range than anything else cause its cheap and fun to shoot..surgical accuracy...occassional nose dive into the ramp but it seems to be particular to the ammo i am using at the time...normally itll feed like crazy and as fast as you can pull the trigger...love the large grip...makes for a good training gun with similar feel to my carry guns...

tada....jiminez ja380...saturday night special...bought it to plink with before .380 became impossible to find...quick fluff and buff and it has been as dependable as a timex...only been fed ball but its a fun and relatively accurate little shooter...never a problem with over a thousand down the pipe...not a carry gun...just for fun...comfortable gun to shoot...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've had one FTE wih my Glock 30 (About 500 rounds so far). I'm sure I limp-wristed it because it fired before I expected it to as I lined the sights up on the target. A factory round, so I don't think that was the problem. Other than that, no problems, even with mild reloads.
    I'm still getting used to a semiauto. I'm an old single-action Ruger .41 Magnum man.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links