Where to put the BUG?

This is a discussion on Where to put the BUG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I recently purchased a new carry gun, Kahr CW9, which I shot today, and it is great. Took a little to get used to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to put the BUG?

Where to put the BUG?

So I recently purchased a new carry gun, Kahr CW9, which I shot today, and it is great. Took a little to get used to the lighter trigger than that of my Glock. Anyway, I will use it for the times when a thinner gun will be easier to carry, or for pocket carry. I will probably at certain times carry it is a BUG to my G19. So tell me, what is usually the way to do it? Strong hand pocket or weak hand pocket? Ankle?

Do you carry it in a place so that it will be easier to get to with your weak hand, or where you can get to it with your strong hand?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I'm surprised to hear that anything other than a SA/DA pistol or a competition target gun has a lighter trigger pull than a Glock. Glocks weigh in around 3-5 pounds with a factory trigger.

But more to the point-
    I have at various times carried my BUG either SOB, on my ankle, weak-side, and shoulder. Give it some thought, try out what feels most comfortable to transition to should your main gun fail, and you'll figure it out. After some time and thought, I think for me personally, a BUG carried weak-side in either a jacket or pants pocket would work best.

Ankle carry seemed really cool at the time, but ended up being entirely impractical.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

I believe that several factors affect how you carry a BUG, like what type of attire you will be wearing, the type of activity that you will be performing, the weather, etc.

I normally carry my BUG on my ankle, but you should experiment to find out what suits you best.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    When I typically carry a BUG, it's usually weak side pocket or weak side IWB. Since I wear shorts about 80% of the time here in the south, ankle carry really isn't an option...

Glad you like your CW9, I have one and it's great... The triggers are really quite good from the factory. Once you get a couple of hundred rounds through it, it will really loosen up and run smooth...
    Last edited by TX-JB; December 30th, 2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added comments...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Here in Florida I keep to about 11clock for my BUG in a crossdraw for my right hand. I still can draw with my left though, its just slow and more difficult.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

For me, a BUG would be a G27 backing up a G22 or G23. Most of the time I've carried a BUG was OWB actually, and the larger went strong side in my usual carry location, and the BUG went weak side cross draw. I've carried SOB before with just a primary, and it works just fine. Both primary and secondary on the same side just wouldn't seem to work for me especially if both were IWB. I'd need larger pants for something like that. Never considered pocket carry or ankle carry myself. Maybe my SmartCarry would do well for a BUG. I'll have to try that one out and see.

Most often a SmartCarry. Sometimes a Comp-Tac MTac at 3:30-4:00. Recently in a DeSantis Nemesis or SuperFly in the hidden breast pocket of a 5.11 Tactical Covert casual (or dress) shirt (on sale till 31dec).
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

The few times that I have had a BUG on my person it's my KelTec P-3AT located either in my strong side pocket, or IWB/SOB.
    For cities like Jax or Orlando, it's usually just extra mags.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks all for replying. It seems I need to play a little bit with it. I need to find a good pocket holster, the one I have (a cheapo one) wants to come out with the gun when I draw.

Quote Originally Posted by HardCorps79 View Post
    I'm surprised to hear that anything other than a SA/DA pistol or a competition target gun has a lighter trigger pull than a Glock. Glocks weigh in around 3-5 pounds with a factory trigger.
    Out of curiosity I checked the trigger pull weight of the Kahr, says it's around 7-9 lbs. for ALL Kahrs. I can't believe it's actually heavier (on paper) than the G19 which is 5.5 lbs. It was smooth like butter, I tell you what.

JMO, and in order of preference.

Pocket carry strong hand #1. Keep weak hand clear for grabbing and deflecting blows, plus you can have your hand in your pocket and it wont be apparent that you're actually ready to draw your BUG if needed.

Pocket carry weak hand #2. Mostly valuable if your strong hand is damaged. Same advantage as #1 but diminished proficiency for your off hand.

Ankle carry #3. Very slow to draw and puts you off balance if being attacked. I use it occasionally, strategically not to useful.

BUG on your hip. Why? IF you can draw you BUG from your hip, why not draw your primary.

JMO, but a BUG should be carried in a way that will give you a tactful advantage with "getting on target" and "first to fire" for any gun fight.

JMO, and YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I recently started carrying a backup knife on the weak side with the intent of "Cutting a path" to my strong side firearm.

However I've also really started to consider a Glock 26 in something like a Raven Concealment ACR on the week side at ~ 11:00/11:30.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

VIP Member
    I've carried my BUG on my ankle, IWB and in my pocket but my all time favorite is in this:

Off hand draw right behind my spare magazine.

http://www.desbiensgunleather.com/owb-holsters/
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've carried my BUG on my ankle, IWB and in my pocket but my all time favorite is in this:

Off hand draw right behind my spare magazine.

OWB Holsters Desbiens Gun Leather
    I love that setup...

When I carry a BUG, it is typically in the weak side front pocket, with my primary at either 2:00 or 4:00 on the strong side.

I can see the arguement for ankle carry in some situations. If I were in a car a lot, say as a cabbie, I would think ankle carry may be somewhat convenient on the left inside ankle for a backup. Thoughts?

bug goes on ankle for me.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

this is my BUG, Or should it be my main gun???

Attached Images
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links