Anti-self defense letter to the editor in the Boston Globe

This is a discussion on Anti-self defense letter to the editor in the Boston Globe within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Herknav Mods: My apologies if this isn't the right forum. On to the letter to the editor: I'm not sure if this ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti-self defense letter to the editor in the Boston Globe

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Mods: My apologies if this isn't the right forum.

On to the letter to the editor: I'm not sure if this is real or if this is one of our guys using hyperbole to make a point, but I thought I'd share it.

Guns, teachers, and self-defense - The Boston Globe

Edited to add: Yeah, it's a letter to the editor, not an editorial. Sorry, but I can't change the title of the thread.
    Someone alert Little Bo Peep, one of her sheep has been found.

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

If this was actually real and not satire, I wonder if someone asked the kid what his thoughts on the matter were...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Most high school math teachers are smart enough not to write a public letter to the editor on such a topic and sign it so specifically. People are afraid to utter the words "firearm" and "school" in the same sentence.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    This is Satire. Another blog site I frequent had more of this guy's letters linked that were pro-gun and pro SD. It was written to proove a point, and well done at that.
    Oh thank God.

I was completely dumbfounded and disgusted at the insanity of the letter. That it is satire just renewed my hope that humankind is not yet damned.

Going to thre Boston Globe site and reading the comments is laughable. A lot of "call the police" comments. I guess they haven't heard that the supreme court said that the police have no obligation to protect private citizens.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    I can see that it is satire, but I know to many people who actually think this way. They are the types that will latch on to what he says and preach it a what should be.
    those would be people you couldnt turn around regardless of how hard you tried...if nothign else and judging by some of the responses here this type of letter brings out the fight in those who want to be able to protect themselves and jingles a little bell in the minds of those who think we shouldnt when they see how their thinking really plays out...

this guy is good...

Sad...

'Tis a true coward that would lay down his children's life to support his beliefs...

I hope his children thrive in spite of him.

ThumperACC

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Funny. Before I posted this, I searched for the guy's last name and the name of the HS. You'd think that would find it if it was previously posted. Teach me something--what should I have looked under?

HotGuns--Thanks for the assist.
    wow, do I feel like an ass, the second I read your post I remembered I was reading it on the NorthEast shooters forum and then read this thread. my appologies

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleloader View Post
    He's obviously not a dad. I was always taught you'd walk through the gates of hell with a smile on your face if it keeps your loved ones safe.
    Some one tough you correctly, as was I.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Hmm, multiple people bemoaning the satirist's letter even after it has been exposed as satire multiple times. Multiple people talking about how stupid he was while being too slow on the uptake to catch the obvious satire.

Having spent the bulk of my life surrounded by liberals/progressives, I can say that I have no idea what kind of people you are all in contact with; really, this fake attitude is realistic to you? Anti-gun liberals err in assuming the police are adequate enough protection, that firearms aren't a good way to defend oneself, and that gun free zones make any sense. They don't think every child should be on an even playing field to get shot, or that they'd prefer their child die to an alternative. And for every legitimate nutball you can dig up that does have those beliefs, I can dig up the most extreme pro-gun, tinfoil hat wearing, racist redneck. The difference between me and some here is that I understand that the redneck is not truly representative of those of us who support 2nd amendment rights.

Once more I have to point out that in falling for this piece or insisting that it is believable, you are confirming the worst stereotypes of pro-gun people.

Quote Originally Posted by 8plus1 View Post
    wow, do I feel like an ass, the second I read your post I remembered I was reading it on the NorthEast shooters forum and then read this thread. my appologies
    No worries. I hate it when people double post, so I was kicking myself for missing it. Happy New Year.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

An alternative to lockdown is immediate exodus via announcement. Although this removes potential hostages and makes it nearly impossible for the shooter to acquire preselected targets, it unfairly rewards resourceful children who move to safety off-site more shrewdly and efficiently than others.

Schools should level playing fields, not intrinsically reward those more resourceful. A level barrel is fair to all fish.

I am simply astounded at this statement.

We should hinder the smart ones so the dumb ones will have an equal chance... and this from a TEACHER... who will carry this thought and plan out every day in his class room too.

Fire him immediately.

Now I known for certain that most people only read the first posting in a tread and then reply. Know this letter is satire and sit back and admire it.

I just want to pick this apart in case any readers happen by and don't catch the gist of the letter. I know we can see this clearly but not all are as hip to this as the DC community. This letter is written from the perspective of a pro2a citizen pointing out the flaws in antigun law threw satire.

I repeat this letter is not written by an anti campus carry individual. It is satire to make a point that guns in the hands of teachers is a logical way to go.

The statement, "it unfairly rewards resourceful children who move to safety off-site more shrewdly and efficiently than others", is meant to give the picture of how fair it would be to not allow resourceful children to move them selves to safely away from the gunman.

The statement, "Some propose overturning laws that made schools gun-free zones even for teachers who may be licensed to securely carry concealed firearms elsewhere.", is meant to point out that licensed individuals securely carry in other settings. Meaning that it is a good thing in other situations and is also a good thing in schools.

The statement, "They argue that barring licensed-carry only ensures a defenseless, target-rich environment", points out how gun free zones are more dangerous than pro2a environments.

The statement, " I would sooner lay my child to rest than succumb to the belief that the use of a gun for self-defense is somehow not in itself a gun crime." is meant to put the absurdity of an anti gun environment into perspective.

The letter is pro 2nd amendment.

This guy's kid should be taken away from him and given to a family who will love and care for him, not offer his life up to BG's, because it's father is a complete idiot.

If this guy cannot see the moral difference between the attacker and the defender, then he's morally vacant. Then why not just take all guns away from all LEO's, all security details, and the military... then let the BG's rule the world as everyone stands by totally defenseless.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links