Anti-self defense letter to the editor in the Boston Globe

This is a discussion on Anti-self defense letter to the editor in the Boston Globe within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know... There's something about having to explain the joke that makes it not funny any more. The problem is, a lot of "progressives" ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anti-self defense letter to the editor in the Boston Globe

I don't know...
    There's something about having to explain the joke that makes it not funny any more.
    The problem is, a lot of "progressives" and/or liberals would take this garbage seriously. I think they really are that narrow minded and, dare I say, stupid in the strictest sense.
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by golfnguns View Post
    I don't know...
    There's something about having to explain the joke that makes it not funny any more.
    The problem is, a lot of "progressives" and/or liberals would take this garbage seriously. I think they really are that narrow minded and, dare I say, stupid in the strictest sense.
    I agree an anti gun advocate would not get this satire. They would set back, read it and say, "Ya! And what we need more is cash for guns programs. Lets make the world a safer place!". Flipp'in idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    I love the part about more resourceful kids having an advantage in escape and evasion, and it shouldn't be allowed because the playing field needs to be equal. GENIUS satire.
    Ya that was a great shot at antigun people and also towards Affirmative action.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnguns View Post
    I don't know...
    On the other hand, I would be willing to bet that his letter would never have been published in The Globe, had it been written as an outright "pro-2A" letter.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I'm not familiar with the globe,,,,,, do they usually lack the &%#@ needed to print obvious pro 2nd amendment info?

I'm not a Globe reader, so I can't (and didn't) say it as an absolute. However, the paper is owned by the same guys who run the New York Times, and Boston/Massachusetts isn't known for their amazing understanding of the 2nd Amendment. Therefore, I stand by my previous statement that "I'd be willing to bet..."

Sorry I can't give you a better answer than that. We have a few Mass guys on the board. Perhaps they'll chime in.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

MJK

Pure satire...

Pure satire! He certainly evoked some great discussion of the topic...which was, after all, the point of the letter.

sat⋅ire  [sat-ahyuhr]
    –noun
    1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
    2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for other writings by the author and re-read his piece with a more level head.

Wow, he's extremely good with his satire. It's funny when you read it with that in mind, instead of the opposite.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Surely this is a put-on.............

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I give him a B+ for effective use of sarcasm and satire.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kahrcarrier View Post
    Surely this is a put-on.............
    Yep, and it's been pointed out a dozen or more times.

Why do people come to this forum if their only desire is to read the original post, type a reply, and mash ENTER as fast as they can?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    I love the part about more resourceful kids having an advantage in escape and evasion, and it shouldn't be allowed because the playing field needs to be equal. GENIUS satire.
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    Check this out by the same writer - it is definitely 100% satire and he's good.

Keep diversity at all costs? | Stars and Stripes

^^^^^Yes he is ENTIRELY Kidding^^^^^^^^and very good.

what throws you off track, is where hes from. Massachusetts!!

Hes definitely on track with getting kids out of the bldg. ASAP, windows, anything to get them out

Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men." - General George S. Patton
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Unfortunately its believable because there are people out there that think like that.....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links