Anti-self defense letter to the editor in the Boston Globe

This is a discussion on Anti-self defense letter to the editor in the Boston Globe within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods: My apologies if this isn't the right forum. On to the letter to the editor: I'm not sure if this is real or if ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti-self defense letter to the editor in the Boston Globe

Mods: My apologies if this isn't the right forum.

On to the letter to the editor: I'm not sure if this is real or if this is one of our guys using hyperbole to make a point, but I thought I'd share it.

Guns, teachers, and self-defense - The Boston Globe

I AM a math teacher at Brockton High School, the site of a school shooting earlier this month.

Current school security procedures lock down school populations in the event of armed assault. Some advocate abandoning this practice as it holds everyone in place, allowing a shooter easily to find victims.

An alternative to lockdown is immediate exodus via announcement. Although this removes potential hostages and makes it nearly impossible for the shooter to acquire preselected targets, it unfairly rewards resourceful children who move to safety off-site more shrewdly and efficiently than others.

Schools should level playing fields, not intrinsically reward those more resourceful. A level barrel is fair to all fish.

Some propose overturning laws that made schools gun-free zones even for teachers who may be licensed to securely carry concealed firearms elsewhere. They argue that barring licensed-carry only ensures a defenseless, target-rich environment.

But as a progressive, I would sooner lay my child to rest than succumb to the belief that the use of a gun for self-defense is somehow not in itself a gun crime.

DOUG VAN GORDER
    Quincy
    Edited to add: Yeah, it's a letter to the editor, not an editorial. Sorry, but I can't change the title of the thread.
    Last edited by HotGuns; December 31st, 2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: changed title
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I wonder what his child's feeling is on being offered up to Dad's pacifist philosophy?

Senior Moderator
    But as a progressive, I would sooner lay my child to rest than succumb to the belief that the use of a gun for self-defense is somehow not in itself a gun crime.
    For a "progressive" thats about the most selfish,ill mannered,clueless and barbarian statement I've ever heard. That man needs to be fixed so that he cant breed.

He would rather lay his child to rest, than to understand the truth.

Brilliant. Absolutley Brilliant.

My dog is more "progressive" than that fool.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Angry "ANTIs"

I have have discussions with people that have basically stated the same thing.

They went off on me when they saw that I was OCing. They were rude and disrespectful.

One of the statements that this person made was that they could never see anytime when having and using a weapon would be justified!
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Senior Moderator
    CFT

Cannon Fodder Type
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Cool, Sign him up as a volunteer "Human Shield" at any and all "Gun Free Zones".

Edited to add - Just make sure he signs that liability waiver and a DNR.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

This has to be satire!!!

If it's not , the phrase "to stupid to be allowed to live" comes to mind.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Notice that he said "I'd rather lay my child to rest......." rather than saying he'd lay down his own life for the safety of his child. Brave man, that. He should be emasculated with a pair of dull pinking shears.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

From some one who has "laid a child to rest":
    I would be happy to let this "progressive" be the test piggy for the pacifist Vs. the pissed off parent (wont even use a gun) - Kid needs a new dad since he obviously doesn't have one now, I have an extra room at my house.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Notice that he said "I'd rather lay my child to rest......." rather than saying he'd lay down his own life for the safety of his child. Brave man, that. He should be emasculated with a pair of dull pinking shears.
    I picked up on that also.

It is often difficult for one who reasons sanely to understand the progressive thought pattern; or stated in another way, You just can not fix stupid.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    From some one who has "laid a child to rest":
    I would be happy to let this "progressive" be the test piggy for the pacifist Vs. the pissed off parent (wont even use a gun) - Kid needs a new dad since he obviously doesn't have one now, I have an extra room at my house.
    Amen!
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I think it was established as satire in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 8plus1 View Post
    I think it was established as satire in another thread.
    Funny. Before I posted this, I searched for the guy's last name and the name of the HS. You'd think that would find it if it was previously posted. Teach me something--what should I have looked under?

HotGuns--Thanks for the assist.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

This is Satire. Another blog site I frequent had more of this guy's letters linked that were pro-gun and pro SD. It was written to proove a point, and well done at that.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links