Defensive Carry banner

fl. papers not to publish cwl data

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  frankmako 
#1 ·
saw something on fsn just now.

hb-687 on it's way to the governor. supposed to prevent the media from publishing personal info on cwl license holders.

would've copied the text, but this thing's barely working today, sorry.

#3 ·
No state should be permitted to divulge this info - I remember when Ohio started doing it.

It'd make me feel like finding out addresses and SSN's of all journalists etc and seeing how they liked that! CCW is confidential info.

Concealed to me is not just the gun - it is the owner's ID too.

#4 ·
Yea, some of the papers here in Ohio do this. Cleveland Plain Dealer and one or two others. It's total BS in my opinion. They won't publish names of criminals sometimes to "protect" their identy but have no problems publishing info on CCW holders. :hand1:

#9 ·
This is a result of the WFTY TV story and the absolute beating we gave them for it. Rep. Dennis Baxley was incensed by the TV station posting CWFP holders' names, DOBs and addresses on line.

The TV station took such an email and phone battering that within hours of posting the spreadsheets, they took them down as a part of their "routine website maintenance"...

Matt

#10 ·
good job matt.

our local paper did the same thing last year.

the editor got slammed with emails and letters.

he did an editorial saying it was in the "public interest" for people to know.

he got slammed again asking for the same info on all arrested persons regardless of age because it was in the "public's interest" to know.

he still hasn't done that. the hypocrite.

#11 ·
When the editor responded with the "public interest" line, I responded with this:

Imagine you are a battered woman who has finally gotten away from your abusive partner. You have a restraining order and a carry permit to protect you. You've gotten a new job, and you are living in another city.

Then, some TV station publishes your name and address.

Is risking someone's life in "the public interest"?
He didn't have much of a reply to that one...

Matt

#12 ·
craig45 said:
our local paper did the same thing last year.

the editor got slammed with emails and letters.

he did an editorial saying it was in the "public interest" for people to know.

he got slammed again asking for the same info on all arrested persons regardless of age because it was in the "public's interest" to know.

he still hasn't done that. the hypocrite.
Ahh yes. Patrick Rice at Northwest Florida Daily News. I still have the e-mail string from that one.
:image035:

#13 ·
I think the main reason for this is that our liberal media of today make it a point to remain "politically correct", not fair and accurate. They have no liability except in cases of lible, which has to be proven. They stand on the principle that the truth is an absolute defense to lible. That can be proven easily enough in the states where carry permits are a matter of public record (TN being one of them). Part of their political correctness is being as anti Second Amendment as they can. This seems to be a way to get their jabs in at those of us who carry legally. In many cases they will give more consideration to those who are charged with illegally carrying than to those of who are law abiding.

Sorry for the rant, but this is an issue that gets me steamed up with a quickness. :mad:

Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.