Am I paranoid, or cautious? - Page 4

Am I paranoid, or cautious?

This is a discussion on Am I paranoid, or cautious? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; good SA +1... i always try to do this while eating out!!!...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    good SA +1... i always try to do this while eating out!!!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I have refused tables on several occasions because of the location - for a variety of reasons. Most of the time it's because the table is in a crappy, high traffic, location, but sometimes it IS because it's in the most exposed location in the restaurant.
    I can understand not wanting to sit directly next to a serving station, a busy kitchen entrance, etc. I was specifically thinking of refusing to sit somewhere just because your back wasn't against a wall, or was in the middle. My lady and I tend to run on a tight schedule though, so whenever we show up, we are looking for the most immediate seating available. If you have the luxury of time, and can wait for what you want, more power to you. I guess there's always that trade off for convenience and comfort. Its all just personal preference really, whatever people feel comfortable with.

If she ever has an issue with me being picky over seating, I tell her we could always just go somewhere with a drive thru! I don't think she likes that idea too much, McD's isn't good for her diet

OP you are not paranoid, just smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    To me, if you are willing to wait longer during a rush for one specific table because its in the "sweet spot", THAT is paranoia. Otherwise, its just being cautious.
    I fail to see the difference.
    The difference is whether it costs you to make the selection. When multiple tables are available at a restaurant, it's sort of silly not to pick one that's notably safer due to the view or proximity to the exit. Whereas, if it's actually costing you something to make the selection, then the tally of costs for the specific seat begin to add up ... and, that cost can be roughly equated to "going overboard," or "paranoia" or whatever other denigration seems to fit.

Reality is, SHTF at times. There's nothing a person can do about it occurring. But, as evidenced by our carrying arms and training, making minor adjustments to seating, routes or other preparation is simply wise planning. Claims of "paranoia" can be left for the foolish who fail in that area, for claims are all they have.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We do the WH from time to time and as already stated they are SO open as long as you can see the bulk of the place I take whats open. Its actually good for you to sit in some awkward (as to SA) seats to promote some tactical planning. I think you are spot on.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by Neocount View Post
    I can understand not wanting to sit directly next to a serving station, a busy kitchen entrance, etc. I was specifically thinking of refusing to sit somewhere just because your back wasn't against a wall, or was in the middle. My lady and I tend to run on a tight schedule though, so whenever we show up, we are looking for the most immediate seating available. If you have the luxury of time, and can wait for what you want, more power to you. I guess there's always that trade off for convenience and comfort. Its all just personal preference really, whatever people feel comfortable with.

If she ever has an issue with me being picky over seating, I tell her we could always just go somewhere with a drive thru! I don't think she likes that idea too much, McD's isn't good for her diet
    Since I am retired, my schedule is seldom that tight.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Went out for breakfast this morning at Waffle House. Found what I thought was the prime booth. Back against the wall that has the door to restroom, to the right, my strong side was the cooking area, and my left the entryway. I could see the entire public area of the restaurant from my seat.
    This sounds normal. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The difference is whether it costs you to make the selection. When multiple tables are available at a restaurant, it's sort of silly not to pick one that's notably safer due to the view or proximity to the exit. Whereas, if it's actually costing you something to make the selection, then the tally of costs for the specific seat begin to add up ... and, that cost can be roughly equated to "going overboard," or "paranoia" or whatever other denigration seems to fit.
    You are correct in what you say, but that has nothing to do with being paranoid if I chose to wait for more favorable seating. It's simply my choice. As in most things in my life, at this stage of the game I want the decisions to be mine. The reason(s) is(are) of no concern to anyone else.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by kahrcarrier View Post
    Just don't look at who's manning the grill at Waffle House, especially in the wee hours.............
    Boy, isn't that the truth!

It's like the WH is the last stop for some the career restaurant folk. Some are better than others I's have to say, but I it depends on your part of town.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Just commented to my wife yesterday while we were shopping in a rather large Mall. I am just amazed at the people, teens as well as adults walking around seemingly lost in their texting, cells, and whatever else they are doing on their gadgets. I sat and lost count of how many groups of these folks were all doing the same thing ( the whole group 3-5 or more people all ages). I can't operate that way. If I have to call on my cell I find a quite place to make the the call. Are we paranoid, I don't think so. Smart and S.A. yes. I and my wife pay very close awares of our surroundings. Never know when a loon can start up problems. My opinion..

I'd say you're not paranoid, you're cautious but not overly so, and what you REALLY are is SMART!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Most of the Waffle House restaurants I have been to have a no gun sign in the entrance area before you enter the second door. These are not the signs required by the State of Texas. They are generic small black and white signs. I solve this problem by not eating there. Their choice,my money.Very simple.

I've told folks for yrs (even before gun ownership) that I needed to sit with my back to the wall....cuz I'm from New Jersey. People understand that no problem at all, lol!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

paranoid

Just a quick note: As someone who waitressed way back, I can tell you that 'empty' tables are not always filled because they try to balance the number of customers in each server's section.

By requesting to sit in someone else's section, you may be depriving someone else of your tip and....and (and a hostess/host should tell you this:) you may have to wait longer for service because your server is already busy.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links