Am I paranoid, or cautious?

This is a discussion on Am I paranoid, or cautious? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cation for sure. The other day was in class for work when our teacher was told of his 27year tenure to the company was done ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Am I paranoid, or cautious?

Cation for sure. The other day was in class for work when our teacher was told of his 27year tenure to the company was done at the end of the week. I then instantly started to scout cover entry\exit points (options). I say well done for you to notice things such as seating.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Went out for breakfast this morning at Waffle House. Found what I thought was the prime booth. Back against the wall that has the door to restroom, to the right, my strong side was the cooking area, and my left the entryway. I could see the entire public area of the restaurant from my seat.
    Booth near the restroom... savvy move...after all it's Waffle House. But seriously, I always try to sit facing the door and pay attention to those around me. Your just being Heads Up and not paranoid.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    You are correct in what you say, but that has nothing to do with being paranoid if I chose to wait for more favorable seating. It's simply my choice.
    Exactly the point I was making. I was, like you, attempting to thwart the silly claims of paranoia that get flung at such simple choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I wonder if the folks on this forum might have a bias?
    A tendency to see reality for what it is, yes. Seeing the field, having an "out" if things go bad. Such simple choices become a normal part of things, after a short while. Having options is a good thing. It's like keeping both hands on the steering wheel and selecting an outside lane with room to maneuver. Might well not become necessary, but it provides options if needed. It's about as benign as opting to lace up the shoes, as opposed to having them flop around when needed. Nothing more.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I tend to operate in condition yellow while I am awake. Saturday we decided to head out for dinner and try a Mexican restaurant. Unfortunately they were closed, we drove around and found a decent looking place not far away and since it was almost 8:00 and we were getting hungry we tried it.
    The food wasn't bad, huge portions, reasonably priced but a few of the folks in there had me in Neon Orange. Hubby noticed me watching and asked witch one. I told him black leather jacket and dirty hair, he knew immediately who. The guy kept walking in a big circle all around the restaurant and bar areas, stopping here and there for a few minutes, staring at people. He strolled around a corner and locked on to the table we were sitting at. I looked straight back at him, making him well aware I knew he was staring, and nothing, he kept staring, after about 5 minutes he wandered off to stare at another table. At that point he had his back to me and I kept one eye on him. watching him make his rounds.
    After we finished eating one guy who had been sitting at the bar since we came, decides it's time to get up and dance in the aisle. I say dance but it more like trying to dance and keep his balance at the same time. By this time my radar is squealing and it seems like everybody in the place can hear it. We quickly paid the bill, I got my jacket on partially zipped, tucked my cover shirt against my side, firearm exposed by the shirt, but covered by the jacket, my folding knife in my hand in my weak side jacket pocket, ready to open, and we beat feet for the door. We were parked about 20 feet from the door, under good light, and looked out toward the car to see what was between us and the car, clear, let's go. To our left, there was some guy trying to help a drunk girl get into a car, and not having much success.
    We left with no trouble and added the place to the "No Way Again" list.
    I always keep my head up and check out what is going on in any new place we go, nothing seemed out of the ordinary when we got there, but that sure changed quick.
    I'm not sure I would have called that paranoid, just a good learning experience.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Never ask a bunch of gun enthusiast (nuts) that question. Of course they are going to say no way. By the way, I also try to set where I can see my truck in the parking lot.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Yes, you are a paranoid schizophrenic, and you likely own several guns and have a closet full of ammo. Your only hope is to change your name and enter the witness protection program. On the other hand, you could be just like the rest of us here on the forum.
    Regards, ...
    I have a REALLY BIG closet too!
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Just a quick note: As someone who waitressed way back, I can tell you that 'empty' tables are not always filled because they try to balance the number of customers in each server's section.

By requesting to sit in someone else's section, you may be depriving someone else of your tip and....and (and a hostess/host should tell you this:) you may have to wait longer for service because your server is already busy.
    That's nonsense. Someone is not going to get my tip, no matter what section I choose to sit in. Besides, who gets my tip (assuming the service deserves a tip) is immaterial to me.

With all due respect, where I sit is my choice, not the restaurant's or the hostess'. If the section where I choose to sit has more filled tables than another, then any problem with service to that section is the management's problem to solve, not mine. As the paying customer, my seating desire takes precedent over any service delivery problems.

If there are NO tables available where I want to sit, then that is another matter, and I then have to decide which is more important, immediate seating or my desired seating.

In the past few years, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have been told "I'm sorry, we can't seat you there". By and large, restaurants are eager to meet customer's (especially repeat customers) requests, even if it means a less busy server covers a table in a section adjacent to her's occasionally.
    Last edited by Majorlk; February 8th, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Definitely cautious. I'm the same way, I always am aware and like to know whats happening around me.

I always select my seat, and if the right one is not available...I wait.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That's nonsense. Someone is not going to get my tip, no matter what section I choose to sit in. Besides, who gets my tip (assuming the service deserves a tip) is immaterial to me.

With all due respect, where I sit is my choice, not the restaurant's or the hostess'. If the section where I choose to sit has more filled tables than another, then any problem with service to that section is the management's problem to solve, not mine. As the paying customer, my seating desire takes precedent over any service delivery problems.

If there are NO tables available where I want to sit, then that is another matter, and I then have to decide which is more important, immediate seating or my desired seating.

In the past few years, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have been told "I'm sorry, we can't seat you there". By and large, restaurants are eager to meet customer's (especially repeat customers) requests, even if it means a less busy server covers a table in a section adjacent to her's occasionally.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Good job, good choice, good work. Thats how one stays aware and alive to tell about it.

It is good to be aware of your surroundings! I perfer to know where trouble is coming from and there is nothing like a "birds eye" view or a location such as what you descirbed.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Went out for breakfast this morning at Waffle House. Found what I thought was the prime booth. Back against the wall that has the door to restroom, to the right, my strong side was the cooking area, and my left the entryway. I could see the entire public area of the restaurant from my seat.
    The difference between " paranoid " and " cautious " is... ONE IS PERFORMED IN PANIC... and... ONE IS PERFORMED WITH CONFIDENCE.

GM
    They use to call me paranoid too. If you are paranoid, then we are at least two of them
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

By requesting to sit in someone else's section, you may be depriving someone else of your tip and....and you may have to wait longer for service ...
    No deprivation. The workload will adjust to accommodate, even though customers are not reseated to achieve it. The alternative would be gross imbalance, in which a few servers would sit idle, while Johnnie works 3x that of others. Won't happen, for long.

As for waiting longer, it's just as likely to wait less, on the instant of such a request, prior to the adjustment in assignments. Who's to say. In the long run, it'll likely balance out.

All of which is largely irrelevant to the goal: sit where it's most comfortable and accommodating to the goal(s). Remember, we're the customers. And there are plenty of seats and servers. It's not a difficult accommodation. And if it's safer, risking the displeasure of a few anonymous internet types seems a small price to pay.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links