Define concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Define concealed carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been on several handgun forums and read lots of discussion on how best to conceal your handgun. I'm confused. A lot of emphasis on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Define concealed carry?

Question Define concealed carry?

I've been on several handgun forums and read lots of discussion on how best to conceal your handgun. I'm confused. A lot of emphasis on not imprinting etc. What do I care? If I have a concealed carry permit and I have a jacket or sweater or fanny pack covering the weapon, what do I care if it imprints? What do I care if a LEO can tell I'm carrying? I have a license to carry? Is this just a matter of being politically correct? I was in a restaurant in Arkansas while on a trip and a guy walked by with an exposed handgun. I believe Arkansas is one of the states that allowed exposed carry. No one in the restaurant freaked out because this guy had a gun and no obvious indication he was LE. Please, I'm not making a statement, I'm legitimately interested in understanding.

2. Remove Ads

in some states, a gun must be completely concealed: no printing, no butt sticking out from under the shirt, no nothing. you may be cited for exposing it. in other states, where it's legal to open carry, it's not so much of a concern.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I honestly don't want the BG to know I'm carrying. I want it to be a big "suprise".
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    I've been on several handgun forums and read lots of discussion on how best to conceal your handgun. I'm confused. A lot of emphasis on not imprinting etc. What do I care? If I have a concealed carry permit and I have a jacket or sweater or fanny pack covering the weapon, what do I care if it imprints? What do I care if a LEO can tell I'm carrying? I have a license to carry? Is this just a matter of being politically correct? I was in a restaurant in Arkansas while on a trip and a guy walked by with an exposed handgun. I believe Arkansas is one of the states that allowed exposed carry. No one in the restaurant freaked out because this guy had a gun and no obvious indication he was LE. Please, I'm not making a statement, I'm legitimately interested in understanding.
    Understand that a big reason for carrying a weapon concealed is to avoid alarming the unarmed citizenry. This has nothing to do with any tactical advantage, and it predates political correctness.

As mentioned, "printing" (not "imprinting") sufficiently to reveal the presence of a weapon beneath clothing defeats the purpose of carrying concealed, so that's why it's generally discouraged, and actually illegal in some jurisdictions (e.g., Texas).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It's concealed when no one can either see it or know that you have a weapon on your person...pretty clear......and not hard to accomplish.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Concealment.......stealth........reaching your objective while avoiding detection.

Truly...it depends on the law of the state....and the interpretation thereof. While VA is an OC state (no silly permit required to OC), there is no legal requirement to disclose to a LEO I have a firearm (if in a vehicle). Other states require disclosure to a LEO. Also, interpretation of various state's laws leave one the impression "printing" is not concealed carry (as crazy or improbable as it sounds).

Generally, I don't worry about printing in VA (but I still dress around the gun)...but if I were to go to SC, TX, FL (where OC is prohibited/not usual), I would keep it concealed.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    It would be trouble if an employer, coworker, anti friend, or other i'll advised person saw something they shouldn't.

The gun no one knew about didn't hurt them and didn't get me fired!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    It would be trouble if an employer, coworker, anti friend, or other i'll advised person saw something they shouldn't.

The gun no one knew about didn't hurt them and didn't get me fired!
    No kidding... What else is there to say...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I've been on several handgun forums and read lots of discussion on how best to conceal your handgun. I'm confused. A lot of emphasis on not imprinting etc. What do I care? If I have a concealed carry permit and I have a jacket or sweater or fanny pack covering the weapon, what do I care if it imprints? What do I care if a LEO can tell I'm carrying? I have a license to carry? Is this just a matter of being politically correct?
    It's not a PC thing. If your weapon prints, some people will see it. Most never will so the print won't scare the masses. As far as not caring about a LEO seeing it because I have a permit and am totally legal, any LEO that sees a badly concealed handgun should follow up on it and that conversation takes time out of my day.

WA is an open carry state, but I'm just more comfortable with a concealed CCW.

why do you not want to print?? http://pacer.mad.uscourts.gov/dc/opi...ubert%20mo.pdf because the court said it was Ok for the cop to hold the man at gun point then steal his gun......

this is one of the reasons im OCing more :P

why i conceal being a large guy it hides very easily
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

If you're in an open carry (OC) state and that's what you choose to do, then that's your perogative. Many pros and cons to OC (search the threads). If you are going to concealed carry (CC), then that's also your perogative. If you choose to carry concealed based on your analysis of benefits (tactical, public perception, etc.) then go to the minimal effort to make sure it is concealed completely. Not much middle ground...either it is OC or CC based on your circumstances. JMHO. There are times I OC (minimal times now) and mostly CC. A small pistol in an inexpensive IWB holster and no one knows it is there but me...and posessing lethal force is a huge responsibility necessitating greater tolerance and de-escalation of situations.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Define concealed carry
    A lot of emphasis on not imprinting etc. What do I care?
    Sheep run scared, and there are millions more of them than those upstanding few who desire to be left alone while ensuring they have some ability to defend against crime. And when they go running to the authorities in fearful tones about the gun-toting madman loose in their streets, the authorities come running. In places that willingly support such aggressive, harassing behavior by its law enforcement community, it can literally cost you thousands of dollars to keep cleaning the legal muck of your head after it has been dumped on you, all to merely clear your name. THAT is why you care. The degree to which you should care will vary by how energetically and vehemently your local law enforcement authorities "jump" when such calls by the fearful populace come in.

Basically, that's it. That's why complete concealment in accordance with the statutes for CHL is important.

Some states aren't so energetic, instead realizing that we're card-carrying good guys, that we're not threatening anyone, that the job is to go after criminals and not to jump at the sound of every screaming ninny who calls in about Guns! Guns! Guns! Depends on your state's laws, and your area's LEO's and what they've been told by their captains as to how aggressively to wield the baton and their force.

As for the definition, it's as simple as the words found in the dictionary:

Concealed: out of sight.
    Carry: to wear or have on one's person.

Review your state's laws on brandishing, threatening behavior, causing fear/disruption, and recent cases in the past 5yrs of law enforcement's behavior with respect to calls for "man with a gun" situations by fearful people who want you controlled. Then you'll know how close to that ideal you need to be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Arrow ...

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Arkansas
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

"Review your state's laws on brandishing, threatening behavior, causing fear/disruption, and recent cases in the past 5yrs of law enforcement's behavior with respect to calls for "man with a gun" situations by fearful people who want you controlled. Then you'll know how close to that ideal you need to be."

This is a great idea. I have to figure out how to search it. I'm in CT. Any ideas?
    Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a congressman can.
    Mark Twain

The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links