Feeling VERY threatened by a crazy person

This is a discussion on Feeling VERY threatened by a crazy person within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Milly, I have a few nutcases in the family tree like that. Take the advice the other members have given you here, they have made ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Feeling VERY threatened by a crazy person

Milly, I have a few nutcases in the family tree like that. Take the advice the other members have given you here, they have made lots of good points to help you out.
    A few points I would reiterate are
    -get a dog, they are a great portable early warning system and can help relive some of the stress with their antics
    -consider getting a semi-auto with a larger capacity than your revolver to at least have in the house. you may need the extra rounds and be unable to reload

Best of luck staying safe and don't forget to smile
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

2. Remove Ads

Milly, please keep us updated. This is a very troubling situation for you and your husband. Also stay armed for defense.

Forget the speed strips...these...are faster.

Thanks again guys for more fantastic pointers!

Just as a quick update: my husband has just purchased some soft body armor for me (Level 2), along with a front trauma plate, for those times when we may know that the stuff may hit the fan at any moment (such as when hearing breaking window or door sounds, or the perimeter alarm going off). The armor will be placed in our "safe room", i.e., our bedroom; The bedroom also has an extra strength lock on the door.

My husband has some old Level 1 body armor that he used in the mid 1970's that he is going to resurrect for himself (by beefing it up with a front trauma plate, and held together by a more modern over-the-clothes body armor carrier vest, instead of his old and loose "T shirt" type).

For a semi-automatic weapon, my husband does have a (heavy!) 30 round STG-2000C Kalashnikoff, but he is afraid to use it due to the possibility of hitting neighbors through our walls with the FMJ military 7.62x39 ammo. (My husband has taught me the lingo over the years, but I sure wish I had been a little more cooperative when he tried to teach me combat survival!!!).

I also asked Bill why he didn't like speedloaders as suggested above, and why he wanted to use the rubber Speed Strips. Bill said he loves speedloaders, but when CCW'ing, especially during the summer months, he said he didn't want to deal with the added "bulges".

Thank you all!

Milly

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    ... in our "safe room", i.e., our bedroom; The bedroom also has an extra strength lock on the door.
    Consider far more than simple locks. Barring the door can make a world of difference. You can either go completely across the door, such as with the American Steel door bar, or at an angle from the handle to the floor as with the Master Lock door bar (which you can find at Lowe's home improvement stores.

Coughing up for stout steel doors/frames for your exterior doors and your "safe" room door(s) might be cost prohibitive, but these less-expensive choices can be done by anyone.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Defense gun

Why isn't a revolver good enough?
    If a shot or two in the upper torso will do the trick with a .38 loaded with good SD ammo, whats the difference if you have 5 or 15 shots?
    I am saying this because the FBI/LEO info is the average of 2.1 shots at 21'.... And, if its something like a .357 mag, you may only need 1 shot....
    I can see where having 15 and maybe a couple more magazines on you would come in handy for a multiple advisary encounter, or give you a false feeling of security, but why not the revolver?
    Shot placement, rules; not the number of shots missed.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    Why isn't a revolver good enough?
    I don't think anyone's saying that.

But a snub-nosed gun with 5rds has its limits. As for claims of "2.1 inches" at whatever distance for the FBI and LEO's, that's great. None of which applies to a specific person's performance in their own lives, though. The point being, more ammo is a good thing, so long as more ammo gets delivered on target. And there are only so many things a person can do to improve that. For a given person, that might or might not involve changing the gun. Nobody else can be sure, other than the person in question.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    But a snub-nosed gun with 5rds has its limits. As for claims of "2.1 inches" at whatever distance for the FBI and LEO's, that's great. None of which applies to a specific person's performance in their own lives, though. The point being, more ammo is a good thing, so long as more ammo gets delivered on target. And there are only so many things a person can do to improve that. For a given person, that might or might not involve changing the gun. Nobody else can be sure, other than the person in question.
    I'll give you that. However, I was taught defense shooting by a LEO who was the department trainer for firearms. He said " If you don't get the BG with the first 2 shots, he probably will get you" ( they teach double tap)

I used to deal with guy's like Bill's brother all of the time...... and one thing to remember, keep your guard up and alter your routine all of the time. Don't even go to the same store all of the time.

Many good suggestions here, including a couple of good 'guard' dogs. Motion lights, checking areas a person can conceal themselves, etc. around your house. Watch your back .... and be as prepared as you can.

Advise you local police that if you call, they better hurry.
    I moved because certain BG's discovered where I lived, broke in and tried to eliminate my wife (but I & some LEO's got there really quick).... so I moved out of a larger city to a smaller town outside of it. My neighbors were close and knew to call if any "unknown" person was seen around my house. The Police in this town knew if I called them, they better hurry or send the body wagon to pick up the body.... and to NOT walk into the situation blindly because I would be 'armed' and "loaded'.

It sounds like, Bill's brother will do something.... it's a matter of when and how. It may sound strange, but hopefully they'll be watching him closely and he'll mess up and go back to prison before he ever learns where you even live.

Whatever you do, have a good peep hole or camera to know who's on the other side of your door or house ... before opening it. Camera's are now very cheap to put out there and send signals / images to a computer.

Plan B : change your name.

VIP Member

Plan B

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

Plan B : change your name.
    The nut is otherwise a smart person, and he has plenty of time to plan and scheme.

Above isn't such a bad idea especially if it can be coupled with moving to a different state.

Again, I think your "uninterested" son is in more danger than you think or that he cares to think about. I don't know how you can get him to keep his guard up, but perhaps changing his name would be useful. Maybe even then changing schools too. His "loving" uncle may not be all that "loving" to him.

The last thing you want if for this guy who is out for revenge-- that is to make you suffer-- to go after the kid. If he and you plan on that as a possibility, you will be heading in the right direction.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I'm really sorry that you have those feelings about semiautos. I wouldn't carry a 5 shot revolver except as a back up, and I prefer my 12 round Glock 26 for that. Semiautos, as has been mentioned, have made improvements since your brother's experience. I carry an XD 45, and it has never jammed, stove piped, and has taken any ammo that I've used. My Glock 26 is the same. Soon, I'll also carry at times my new XDm9- while I prefer 45, 9mm is a good defensive round in hollow points, particularly +p, and that 19+1 capacity is fantastic. I trust my life to semi autos every day, and I'm happy with them. And Mastercapt, do you carry reloads? If all you need is 2 or 3 rounds, why bother" The answer, at least to me, is that I don't know how many rounds that I will need in a self defense situation. I sure as hell don't want to limit myself to 5 rounds. Hell, you can empty your revolver, reload, empty that, and still not have as many rounds available as my back up Glock. I would rather have the rounds in my gun and not need them than to have the gun go click! just when I need it. To the OP, if you want to continue to carry your revolver, fine, but conider carrying another as a back up. It's sure quicker than reloading!

The only other suggestion that I have other than the great information others have given is that your husband might want to consider a bullet proof vest. He could get on to wear under his usual clothing, and should the brother try to shoot him, it might save his life. I wish you both the best, and I hope that this can be resolved soon and without anyone getting hurt.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Looks like you have plenty of proof and evidence to be used as an excuse to legally do what you have to do to defend and protect yourselves. Such attention could and should and would deter professional hit men who would not want to get caught by prepared police and harder armed targets.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links