Moving from FL to NC/VA. CCW laws? + Largest Gun Store in the World!

Moving from FL to NC/VA. CCW laws? + Largest Gun Store in the World!

This is a discussion on Moving from FL to NC/VA. CCW laws? + Largest Gun Store in the World! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Moving from FL to north east NC just 1hr from VA. I would be going into VA often too. I'm on handgunlaw.us now... Regarding the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Moving from FL to NC/VA. CCW laws? + Largest Gun Store in the World!

Moving from FL to north east NC just 1hr from VA.

I would be going into VA often too.

I'm on handgunlaw.us now...

Regarding the NC laws....

Not allowed - "Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. 14-269.3"

So, I could carry in a mall, but it is illegal to carry into the movie theater in the mall because it charges admission?

What is the point of this?

Hmm...this one stands out: "Where notice of carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or
    statement. 14-415.11(c)"

Sooooooo...here in FL (as I understand it) if an establishment has a sign, it's simply their policy and they have the right to ask you to leave, etc...if caught carrying a handgun BUT it isn't ILLEGAL.

In NC it seems, if an establishment has a sign and you carry- you are breaking the law. That really sucks.

No carry in State parks in NC. Another bummer.

MUST INFORM Police Officer...well, that's not a big deal.

How does the overall legal system treat people with CCW in NC? The system overall seems to be on the side of CCW folks here in FL.

VA Laws:

This is interesting:

=========================================
    No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in
    4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has
    been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of
    Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a
    concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun
    permit. NOTE: only concealed handguns are prohibited - openly carried handguns are allowed
    =======================================

OPEN CARRY huh?

=====================================
    Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship while a meeting for religious purposes is
    being held unless you have "good and sufficient reason." There is no known definition of what a
    good and sufficient reason would be. Violation is a minor crime, punishable by a fine of up to $100.
    =====================================

Pfffffffffft! Rediculous! I think I saw on VA News they were considering changing some gun laws?

Seems VA is a bit better overall to carry compared to NC, on paper anyway.

In practice, how are both states?

Largest Gun Store in the World:

My Dad says there is a gun shop 30min away that has a good selection...fun to go and just look around. So, we went.

I was expecting it to be similar to Shoot Straight here in Central FL.

WHOA...I was wrong!

Picasa Web Albums - Alphawolf - Mackeys Gun S...

It was like a HOME DEPOT of guns!

It isn't in a very populated area so I don't see how they can tie up all that cash in inventory.

They have a 1 page website:

Mackey's Landing Firearms - Home

6000 firearms...seems like a legit claim.

Prices were not atrocious - with a little dealing on some stuff I'd buy there no problem.

Thanks in advance for any tips on NC/VA carry.

PS- is there any good reason to get a NC CCW license if I already have a FL CCW license? It's good for another 2yrs?
    Regards,

Dean

Cool

Proably have to prove residency. Driver's license, etc.

In NC, you have to get permits to purchase firearms from the Sheriff's Department ahead of time to purchase in NC. NC and VA reciprocate as I live in VA and travel to NC frequently. VA is somewhat more carry friendly. Open carry is not illegal in NC, but you are a little more likely to get some hassle for it in NC versus VA. Check resident / non-resident requirements for cc permits and reciprocation of states you frequent. It can get very confusing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks, folks.
    Regards,

Dean

Cant carry in NC to a place where alcohol is sold and consumed either.Get your NC permit because your place of residency and your ccw must have the same address in NC.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Speaking on why the laws are the way they do, I have no idea, but I hate them as well. I can't stand that I cannot carry into a theater. You will be able to have reciprocity with VA if you get the NC permit. Luckily, most of the area around NC has reciprocity with it. The closest places without are DC and further up north: Maryland, CT, NY, etc. I've been driving around a lot lately, and the only two states I've had to go thru without reciprocity in the last couple months have been Illinois and Maryland.

Thanks for telling me about that gun store. If I'm down that way any time soon I'll go and check it out!
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Welcome to North Kakilaki! Moving from FL to NC will be a slap in the face from what you're used to. What the others have said plus we don't have a castle doctrine either!
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

what is a castle doctrine?
    If guns kill people then i can legitimately blame misspelled words on my pencil!!!

NRA Member

NM i looked it up...
    If guns kill people then i can legitimately blame misspelled words on my pencil!!!

NRA Member

I can't speak for NC laws, but as for the VA laws, I think that a bunch of the stupid ones will be changing this year.. We just elected in a REAL governor and a new attorney general that are both very 2A friendly.. I personally don't have a problem with the alcohol carry law, i easily change from CC to OC but keep it low key when I go eat with the family.. As for church carry, I want them to define what a "good and sufficient reason".. I personally feel that self defense is a good reason, but don't want a commonwealth attorney to say differently.. Oh well, i'm expecting that by this time next year all will be better..

Biggest reason for the less than optimal laws concerning CHPs?

Not enough people willing to write, call, and email their reps. Oh, and not voting.

Same as everywhere there are bad laws.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Welcome to North Kakilaki! Moving from FL to NC will be a slap in the face from what you're used to. What the others have said plus we don't have a castle doctrine either!
    Here in NC, we have what amounts to a Castle Doctrine, but not so named, as in TX, FLA etc. NC's "Castle" type statements are noted as "Defense of Habitation" which extends to anywhere you may legally habitate; your car, motel room, business, friends home, etc. While in your place of habitation, there is no duty to retreat, you have the right to shoot an intruder as they are forcibly breaking into your place of habitation. There is much more to this, of course but NC does provide for the protection of one's "Castle", and I wouldn't be surprised to see future changes to add to and further define as a true "Castle Doctrine". The NC Dept. of Justice's Director of the CHL program is very down to earth and I believe he will strive for realistic and fair improvements in the law.

If the OP is going to be a permanent resident of NC then he will need to get an NC CHL. If he is a dual resident of FL and NC, say spending a few months of the year in both states and maintaining a residence in both, then he could just keep the FL permit as it is good here in NC.

ETA: When a trooper pulls you over on the road, he enters your plate no. into his on-board computer and up pops lots of data about the car and its owner - including the fact that the owner is a CHL holder. When he approaches your car he knows you may be armed. It is NC regulation to inform. It would be good policy even if not required.

In NC you don't have to get a handgun purchase permit from the Sheriff if you have a valid CHL.

BTW, my friend who is a NC State Trooper says any time you are stopped, keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight until he gets to your car. Don't be digging around for your documents before he gets there. Many cops have been shot upon arriving at a car after the driver had been seen moving around. My friend says he automatically arms up if he sees this, and is on high alert.

Jim
    Last edited by jbailey; January 2nd, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Distinguished Member
    One of the stupid laws in VA. is that you can not CC in a restaurant or bar that serves alcohol, OC is OK. This law should change soon with our new Governor.

I've never understood the logic of that VA law. You can't CC in a place that sells alcohol for consumption, but you can OC. Doesn't make sense to me, but I comply with it anyway.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
    Here in NC, we have what amounts to a Castle Doctrine, but not so named, as in TX, FLA etc. NC's "Castle" type statements are noted as "Defense of Habitation" which extends to anywhere you may legally habitate; your car, motel room, business, friends home, etc. While in your place of habitation, there is no duty to retreat, you have the right to shoot an intruder as they are forcibly breaking into your place of habitation. There is much more to this, of course but NC does provide for the protection of one's "Castle", and I wouldn't be surprised to see future changes to add to and further define as a true "Castle Doctrine". The NC Dept. of Justice's Director of the CHL program is very down to earth and I believe he will strive for realistic and fair improvements in the law.

If the OP is going to be a permanent resident of NC then he will need to get an NC CHL. If he is a dual resident of FL and NC, say spending a few months of the year in both states and maintaining a residence in both, then he could just keep the FL permit as it is good here in NC.

ETA: When a trooper pulls you over on the road, he enters your plate no. into his on-board computer and up pops lots of data about the car and its owner - including the fact that the owner is a CHL holder. When he approaches your car he knows you may be armed. It is NC regulation to inform. It would be good policy even if not required.

In NC you don't have to get a handgun purchase permit from the Sheriff if you have a valid CHL.

BTW, my friend who is a NC State Trooper says any time you are stopped, keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight until he gets to your car. Don't be digging around for your documents before he gets there. Many cops have been shot upon arriving at a car after the driver had been seen moving around. My friend says he automatically arms up if he sees this, and is on high alert.

Jim
    True enough. But the stupid part about NC law is that once an intruder is inside your home you can not defend it with deadly force if the intruder is only there to steal your stuff. Hopefully this will all change in November when the libs are sent home. Our current lib controlled congress rarely allows any great pro 2A bills out of committee.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links