Don't Be A Gun Dork

This is a discussion on Don't Be A Gun Dork within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NY does NOT require you tell LEO if your armed or not. I got stopped for speeding (which I don't understand, I was only 15 ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Be A Gun Dork

NY does NOT require you tell LEO if your armed or not.

I got stopped for speeding (which I don't understand, I was only 15 over ) a couple of months ago while going up hunting. The car was full of guns and gun cases and hunting gear.

The nice trooper inquired as to where I was headed to go hunting and I said "Redwood, up near Alexandria Bay"

He said "Ya thats a nice area..heres your ticket for doing 80 in a 65, Good luck hunting, slow down will ya"

I said "No problem, I can't afford two of these in one weekend"

and on my way I went, the Nice trooper was not the least bit concerned there were firearms in the car
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

2. Remove Ads

I inform at a traffic stop. I also inform and request a gun locker when I go to the police station/courthouse.

#1, it's the law where I live.
    #2, if I was a cop and pulled someone over, I would like to know they were walking heavy. Think about it. If you tell the guy you are permitted, and are carrying, it will go a long way toward assaying some of his suspicion that you may want to do him harm.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

i never tell it never turns out well.....(well i do notify GSP sometimes but its rare)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Interesting that this comes up frequently. In my (Kentucky) CCDW class we were told to hand the officer our CCDW permit, along with whate ever else they asked for, if we were stopped while carrying a weapon.

Some states DO NOT require this. What annoys me is that people who write such articles do not know the laws and propagate false information. Perhaps with the intent of actually causing harm.

Sad..

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Hey Treo, Is there a point that your trying to make?
    In 1991 a bad cop tried to talk me into confessing to a crime he knew I hadn't commited. He left me handcuffed for hours in an attempt to intimidate a confession out of me. He also tried to falsify the transcripts of his interrogation of me to look like I had confessed. Had he been able to get a confession I would have spent years in a military prison. Had I simply invoked my right to remain silent as soon as I was arrested the incident would have ended that night.

I learned from my mistake I DO NOT EVER under any circumstances volunteer information to the police and I don't understand the mindset of someone who does.

There are a lot of folks on this forum (IMO) who have the sheep dog bug real bad. I believe that the majority of you believe that your CHP makes you a member of some elite fraternity and showing your CHP to a cop (licking the master's hand) is some kind of secret hand shake

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    In 1991 a bad cop tried to talk me into confessing to a crime he knew I hadn't commited. He left me handcuffed for hours in an attempt to intimidate a confession out of me. He also tried to falsify the transcripts of his interrogation of me to look like I had confessed. Had he been able to get a confession I would have spent years in a military prison. Had I simply invoked my right to remain silent as soon as I was arrested the incident would have ended that night.

I learned from my mistake I DO NOT EVER under any circumstances volunteer information to the police and I don't understand the mindset of someone who does.

There are a lot of folks on this forum (IMO) who have the sheep dog bug real bad. I believe that the majority of you believe that your CHP makes you a member of some elite fraternity and showing your CHP to a cop (licking the master's hand) is some kind of secret hand shake
    So then why do you even bother to hang out on this forum? Just curious.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Way off base with that one IMO.... In fact, I don't think you could be more wrong in you assumption. But I guess you're entitled to your opinion.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I fully understand now why you made the post. I agree with your last paragraph. It seems some want to be something they are not. The CPL doesnt give me anything else than being able to defend myself while im out of my home. In MI I have to inform, but again I fully understand your point.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Way off base with that one IMO.... In fact, I don't think you could be more wrong in you assumption. But I guess you're entitled to your opinion.
    If you look in the scenario section you can see that some folks have a need to be a sheepdog. What if some girl,old lady, how far would I go with my new found power. That being said I think Treo may have made to broad of a statement, but He is right about some.

Lead Moderator
    Bottom line know YOUR states laws and abide by them. This discussion has been beat down many times , it is a personal choice if your state allows it. No need to name call to try and get your opinion across, grow up.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    If you look in the scenario section you can see that some folks have a need to be a sheepdog. What if some girl,old lady, how far would I go with my new found power. That being said I think Treo may have made to broad of a statement, but He is right about some.
    Fair enough...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar

I'm curious why would you have spent years in a military prison? I find that statement very curious, were you military? If not, then I'm very confused by the Military Prison statement.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

So you're lumping all cops in with a jerk who happened to be a cop, just like the media and liberal politicians try to lump gun owners with the crazies who happen to own firearms who snap and kill their families? There are jerks in ALL walks of life. Some of them HAPPEN to be cops. Being a jerk and being a cop have nothing to do with each other and the vast majority of cops are good people who believe they have a duty to protect society from criminal scum.

Also, from what I've heard most cops are pro-CC/2A and there are several examples of people on this forum who informed the police they were carrying and it turned out fine. I am so tired of people who try to paint cops as jack booted Nazis.

Also, as I said, my desire to become a LEO and my desire to obtain the means to defend myself are totally different, however if I found myself in a situation where someone was being threatened I would help, not because I believe a CWP gives me police powers but because I believe being a HUMAN BEING obligates me to stand up for what is right and do what I can to help others.

As a civilian, would I charge into a building, gun drawn, if I heard shots fired? Of course not, but if I'm eating at burger king and someone walks in with a sawn off and begins threatening his girlfriend, I'll do whatever I can to help, whether that involves drawing my own gun or not.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

One way to avoid encounters with the police is to not break the law.

That means you, lead footers.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links