Don't Be A Gun Dork

This is a discussion on Don't Be A Gun Dork within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BRTCP88 So you're lumping all cops in with a jerk who happened to be a cop, just like the media and liberal ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 91

Thread: Don't Be A Gun Dork

  1. #46
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    So you're lumping all cops in with a jerk who happened to be a cop, just like the media and liberal politicians try to lump gun owners with the crazies who happen to own firearms who snap and kill their families?
    Most hitchhikers aren't serial killers. Some are.

    Most cops aren't thugs. Some are.

    Can you tell which is which merely by glancing at them?

    If you can't (and I can't), your best bet is to adhere strictly to the requirements of the law. I neither pick up hitchhikers nor do I interact with the police in any ways but those specified in the law.

    You can NEVER get yourself into legit legal trouble by obeying the LAW.

    You can get yourself into untold trouble making things up as you go along.

    If I have to choose between trusting a cop and trusting the law, I'll trust the latter every time.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I was J/K. I don't go that slow, but I do tend to err on the safe side. I give three seconds instead of two between me and the next car, I look left-right-left-right-left while at stop signs, etc.

    I'm not a grandpa, I'm just cautious.
    Around here, the cops like to get people for "rolling stops". I always make sure that I allow the car to roll back against the suspension at any stop sign.

    Call me eccentric, but I find it easier to obey the law than to try to get away with breaking it by kissing up.

    But then there are always people who just don't feel "right" unless they think they're getting away with something.

  4. #48
    Member Array RogerThat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I do not think you live in FL, because here you can almost be stopped for driving one or two miles per hour under the limit.
    Yep, Florida everyone speeds and cops usually don't do a thing about it, cause they want people to keep speeding so they can rake in the dough when they need to put a few speed traps out once every 2 weeks and pull everybody and their neighbor over to let them know their getting paid this friday and they'd like you to donate :)
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

    No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

    A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

  5. #49
    Senior Member Array BRTCP88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Most hitchhikers aren't serial killers. Some are.

    Most cops aren't thugs. Some are.

    Can you tell which is which merely by glancing at them?

    If you can't (and I can't), your best bet is to adhere strictly to the requirements of the law. I neither pick up hitchhikers nor do I interact with the police in any ways but those specified in the law.
    By your logic people are right to assume you're a bloodthristy murderer because you own a gun. So, let's ban all guns, just to be on the safe side. And I don't pick up hitchhikers either. Making that comparison, IMO, is a straw man.

    You can do what ever the hell you want. Just don't call me names like some immature eight year old for doing something different.
    Ron Paul 2012

    There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

  6. #50
    VIP Member
    Array TX-JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    5,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    In 1991 a bad cop tried to talk me into confessing to a crime he knew I hadn't commited. He left me handcuffed for hours in an attempt to intimidate a confession out of me. He also tried to falsify the transcripts of his interrogation of me to look like I had confessed. Had he been able to get a confession I would have spent years in a military prison. Had I simply invoked my right to remain silent as soon as I was arrested the incident would have ended that night.

    I learned from my mistake I DO NOT EVER under any circumstances volunteer information to the police and I don't understand the mindset of someone who does.

    There are a lot of folks on this forum (IMO) who have the sheep dog bug real bad. I believe that the majority of you believe that your CHP makes you a member of some elite fraternity and showing your CHP to a cop (licking the master's hand) is some kind of secret hand shake
    Yup and there are 3 sides to every story... Your side, his side and the truth... I'm just sayin'...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

    Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

  7. #51
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    By your logic people are right to assume you're a bloodthristy murderer because you own a gun. So, let's ban all guns, just to be on the safe side. And I don't pick up hitchhikers either. Making that comparison, IMO, is a straw man.

    You can do what ever the hell you want. Just don't call me names like some immature eight year old for doing something different.
    I advocate OBEYING THE LAW.

    You equate that with violating people's rights.

    In fact, anyone has the right to assume ANYTHING about me, so long as they OBEY THE LAW. If they bar me from their home or business because I'm a gun owner, that is their right.

    And by the way, please quote where I called you "names". Feel free to quote me doing so.

    I eagerly await your apology.

  8. #52
    Member Array metallic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    156
    Louisiana requires you to inform law enforcement when you are carrying and engaged with them in an official manner. The two times I've interacted with them (once for speeding, once for when I got backed into), I've been treated no worse and once probably a little bit better for informing that I was carrying.

    I also inform out of habit when traveling to other states, just to make sure that I don't inadvertently violate the law while I'm there. I have no delusions of being a "sheep dog" or belonging to any kind of "elite fraternity." I carry for my own safety only. Everyone else is on their own.

  9. #53
    Senior Member Array usmc3169's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    866
    curious about the military prison and what the officer thought you had done...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

  10. #54
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,992
    The I gotta show my carry permit gun dork
    If there were fewer places that legally required notification, and fewer places without haughty law enforcement officers that get bent when they experience failure to notify them, then perhaps there would be fewer people who feel the need to show the license.

    IMO, for the vast majority of upstanding people, it has nothing to do with dorkiness and feelings of "having to" show the status. Rather, showing it to police has everything to do with wanting to reduce the likelihood of cuff-and-stuff scenarios involving the pavement, jail and follow-on abuse charges leveled at the department. That sort of crap happens enough, and we read about it enough here, that willingly notifying via showing the card along with the DL makes perfect sense to many.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  11. #55
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,948
    I am still trying to figure out why anyone would care if someone notifies an officer when not required. If you aren't the officer pulling me over how does my interaction with that officer effect you? If I choose to be a "gun dork" that would be between me and the officer. Sounds to me like much ado about nothing.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  12. #56
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If there were fewer places that legally required notification, and fewer places without haughty law enforcement officers that get bent when they experience failure to notify them, then perhaps there would be fewer people who feel the need to show the license.

    IMO, for the vast majority of upstanding people, it has nothing to do with dorkiness and feelings of "having to" show the status. Rather, showing it to police has everything to do with wanting to reduce the likelihood of cuff-and-stuff scenarios involving the pavement, jail and follow-on abuse charges leveled at the department. That sort of crap happens enough, and we read about it enough here, that willingly notifying via showing the card along with the DL makes perfect sense to many.
    Unfortunately, notifying when not required is no guarantee of a "smooth" encounter.

    When you strike out on your own, you're ON YOUR OWN.

    We have laws for a reason, so that that everybody knows the acceptable limits of their behavior in a given situation. I'm completely uninterested in dealing with the police outside of the specific requirements of the law. When you obey the law, everybody knows what their duties are.

  13. #57
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Unfortunately, notifying when not required is no guarantee that of a "smooth" encounter.

    When you strike out on your own, you're ON YOUR OWN.
    "Striking out on your own" is a pretty base way of looking at informing an officer of your status. Fact is, an officer is always in charge, can always trump up something if desired, can always choose to handle it professionally. A person is always hanging it out there when being confronted. The result will be what it will be. It's hard to say one way or the other that greater information will upset a given officer, calm another, or make no difference whatsoever. The point being, increased information helps lay it all out there, and that makes some people feel better. So, better it is, until proven otherwise, and only the person in question will know how that turns out.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 1st, 2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: grammar
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  14. #58
    Member Array Leopard125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Posts
    204

    Question

    I got a question?
    Why you guys get pulled over so much?
    And If you'all think the MAN is out to get everyone,Going thru the hassle of getting a CHL must have really sucked for you.

  15. #59
    Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - LKN
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    Required in NC to disclose to LE during a traffic stop. They know when they run your plate, and if you dont tell them they could give you a hard time.
    Same here. State law is "must inform" here. Though my car is registered to my husband, who doesn't have his CCHL, so the plate wouldn't kick back.

    Plus, isn't is just courteous to inform? God forbid I end up out of the car and get frisked, and THEN they find my gun...that can't go nearly as well as my having calmly informed at the onset of the traffic stop.

    Why would that make any of us a "Gun Dork?"
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.


    Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

    www.vanguardnc.com

  16. #60
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    "Striking out on your own" is a pretty base way of looking at informing an officer of your status. Fact is, an officer is always in charge, can always trump up something if desired, can always choose to handle it professionally. A person is always hanging it out there when being confronted. The result will be what it will be. It's hard to say one way or the other that greater information will piss of a given officer, calm another, or make no difference whatsoever. The point being, increased information helps lay it all out there, and that makes some people feel better. So, better it is, until proven otherwise, and only the person in question will know how that turns out.
    If as you say, I have no control over how the cop behaves, then I'll have control over how _I_ behave. I will adhere strictly to the law. The cop can like that or lump it. My duty is to the law, not to him. If he has a problem with that, then it'll shake out in court.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. "Look, it's a DORK gun!"
    By d2thomas in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 28th, 2005, 11:07 PM

Search tags for this page

concealed carry dork

,

gun dork pictures

,

nra members are dorks

Click on a term to search for related topics.