CCW and non-Americans

This is a discussion on CCW and non-Americans within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CCW and non-Americans There is a bit of a controversy brewing on a gun forum up here. A group of guys are teaching a course ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW and non-Americans

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

CCW and non-Americans

CCW and non-Americans

There is a bit of a controversy brewing on a gun forum up here. A group of guys are teaching a course to Canadians so they can obtain a Utah CCW. (I might take it next year) At the end of the course they submit all your paperwork and the State issues the permit to the student. Now to get into the US with a firearm, you must fill out a “Form 6” and declare the firearm and indicate if you are going to a target shoot or hunting. (you will also need a hunting license and apparently a number of Canadians get Alaskan licenses)

A number of people have questioned if a Canadian can carry concealed in the US despite having the permit. (assuming they are following all of the state laws in that regard) Does anyone have any experience, knowledge or opinion on this?

2. Remove Ads

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Now to get into the US with a firearm, you must fill out a “Form 6” and declare the firearm and indicate if you are going to a target shoot or hunting. (you will also need a hunting license and apparently a number of Canadians get Alaskan licenses)
    What the frell does hunting have to do with getting a CCW? Is Bambi gonna jump you while you are getting a slurpy at the 7-11? Is a rabbit going to assault and rob you when you stop at the ATM for pocket money?
    There's nothing in the Constitution about hunting. ***?

I don’t know about your constitution, but those are the only reasons apparently that a foreigner is legally allowed to bring a personal firearm into the US.

canadians are allowed to drive here . so if you have the permits i don't have a problem with yall carrying . is this so you can skirt your own gun laws ? or for legitimate traveling ?
    elance

Opinion. If Canadians who can pass a US background check can carry concealed in America, so can an Iranian, Syrian, Libian, North Korean,.......
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Most of the guys doing it here are hard-core shooting types. Some are doing it for when they travel to the US (there will be more Canadians coming down now that are dollar will be on par with yours). Plus it's a bit of a protest and a way of saying that there is a demand for this type of law up here.

I definitely would consult a lawyer before trying it. I've never heard of anything like it. I think it's awesome though. Good way to lobby for it for you guys.

Colin, our firearms carry laws are state by state.

Example: If you have a valid Canadian license to carry, Indiana will recognize that license.

Pre-position a gun on US side where you enter country, and drop ift if when going back to Canada.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Why the harsh words?

Redstick

Why the harsh words? A legitimate question was ask trying to get information. He gave his reasons on getting a gun across to the US and yes it may not have anything to do with CCW but he was polite in his question. A lot more then you were in your response.

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    Sorry if it came out harsh. You are right. He asked a honest question. A pet peeve of mine is the whole Bill Clinton "Sporting Use" mentality. One of the fastest ways to get on my bad side is bring up the "Why do you need a assault rifle for hunting?" thing. I see requirements like having to have hunters license to get a CCW in the same light. I'm both angry and embarassed that there are even requirements like these on the books. It's stupid and we as citizens should keep these things in mind come election time.
    My post wsn't meant as a personal attack. It was a way of venting some frustration at a moronic law.
    I apologize if I offended anyone with my outburst.

No problem, wasn’t offended at all. Of course you could answer back that your average deer or bear weighs 2-3 times as much as a human and therefore you need 2-3 times as many bullets!

If they are asking such question they are likely unaware that a “Assault rifle” is less powerful than a hunting rifle.

Some people have suggested leaving a gun on the other side with a friend/family. Actually it seems getting the gun across the border is not the problem, more that there has been no real “test” of the legality, when you are sitting there explaining to a police officer why you as a Canadian have a CCW from Utah and if they would believe/honour it.

Here Federal laws trumps Provincial, but from what I understand that the States can tell the feds to bugger off within the areas of their jurisdiction. So once the US feds let you bring the gun across, then the State law would apply, correct?

Also would have to pick up a non-Norinco gun for carrying as they ban Norinco pistols and semi-auto’s

Federal laws here always trump state laws (or are supposed to). There are just not real laws on CCW at the federal level. It really would be state to state. Anyways, keep us updated on this, I'm curious to know if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Stick
    What the frell does hunting have to do with getting a CCW? Is Bambi gonna jump you while you are getting a slurpy at the 7-11? Is a rabbit going to assault and rob you when you stop at the ATM for pocket money?
    There's nothing in the Constitution about hunting. ***?
    I didn't find this harsh, just a statement about government BS
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Interesting question!

I agree on the state to state thing also. That is why I really don't think that it is possible to do this but I guess anything is possible. I do know in my state (Missouri) you have to have a valid address in the county you live in as well as the required (approved) training, BG check, birth certificate etc, etc, that Missouri requires to get a CHL permit. I really don't think they would accept these requirements from elsewhere.

I can tell you they just don't hand them out at will! So I am going out on a limb here and say this probably wouldn't work to my knowledge in at least Missouri doing it the way you describe and not being a person that does not actually live here in the (USA).

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I agree

Red Stick

I]I'm both angry and embarassed that there are even requirements like these on the books. It's stupid and we as citizens should keep these things in mind come election time.[/I]

I agree 100% with you. It is too bad we have to go round about to get what should be simple under our consititution but it happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links