Well, I made the cut..

Well, I made the cut..

This is a discussion on Well, I made the cut.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ..combat cut that is. I been wanting to do this for a while (cutting the combat cut on my Supertuck) but just haven't got around ...

Thread: Well, I made the cut..

Well, I made the cut..

..combat cut that is.

I been wanting to do this for a while (cutting the combat cut on my Supertuck) but just haven't got around to doing it. So today, while sitting home off from work, I decided to do it. I traced a line with a pen, and then proceeded to use plain ole household scissors to cut a piece of the leather off. It was pretty easy. It is much easier to get a good hold of my gun now, and I can't feel any loss of comfort what so ever.

I would recommend doing it and/or having it done by the company when you order.

Have to admit I don't know what that is. Sounds intriguing. How would I go about doing the same?

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Have to admit I don't know what that is. Sounds intriguing. How would I go about doing the same?
    Well, the combat cut is an option you can have done to a Supertuck holster when you order it from Crossbreed.

FAQs

I did not initially order it with the cut, because I wanted to see how it would be without it.

Like I said, I just traced a pattern that I wanted cut off with a pen, and then cut it with some scissors. Pretty easy, and is much better IMO. I supposed you could cut any similar holster the same way if you wanted to.

VIP Member
    Glad you like it... I prefer the combat cut on my holsters too...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

No pictures?

I dont mean to beat a dead horse here, but if you can possibly find it in your budget to get a real good, hand crafted custom holster, you will not run into this problem. The fact that they say "This modification does sacrifice a little bit of comfort but does increase the draw speed," Raises a bit of a red flag for me. I own a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro worth about $200 and my speed and comfort are not an issue. Infact, I went from a Supertuck to the Pure Kustom and will never look back. The custom holsters are just that, custom. They are made for your gun and, more importantly, you! Something to think about.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I dont mean to beat a dead horse here, but if you can possibly find it in your budget to get a real good, hand crafted custom holster, you will not run into this problem. The fact that they say "This modification does sacrifice a little bit of comfort but does increase the draw speed," Raises a bit of a red flag for me. I own a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro worth about $200 and my speed and comfort are not an issue. Infact, I went from a Supertuck to the Pure Kustom and will never look back. The custom holsters are just that, custom. They are made for your gun and, more importantly, you! Something to think about.
    The problem I am having with these pure custom holsters is they are pure customs for just a certain few pistols. I've searched our ones on this forum for a good Shoulder Holster with Speed Loader attachments for a Ruger GP100, so far none of these make them for my style weapon and the others are limited or do not mention specifically what size barrels as we all know a 6 inch barrel is different then a 3 inch. I've found a Bianchi X15, but again, they mention GP100, but barrel length is not mentioned.

I know I'm ranting, but even the $200 custom ones don't make it for my well known revolver. Rant over for now.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I seem to settle on a couple style holsters;they tend to have very little material
    and the barrel is exposed.As long as trigger and guard is covered I am happy.
    I just purchased a 511 tactical belt for carrying my handguns around.My new addition is a bianchi with a touch of forward cant with the release on the back side.It's class 2 on retention scale.Also have serpa holster for my glock 17,this
    one great if you are riding a 4 wheeler or just in the woods walking around as it has a quick release on the outside of the holster.I have two styles of holsters
    I don't like and will not purchase again fobus and the one that has the fake pager.If you have a hint of a gut it doesn't work.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Yes it is something to think about. He bought a holster for a quarter of what you paid and is satisfied with it's performance after he spent a few minutes with a pair of shears.

I believe that quite like "guns snobs", there are now "holster snobs".

Quote Originally Posted by JMFB77 View Post
    No pictures?
    Ok, since you asked...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by G19inLV; January 2nd, 2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: more pics

Hey, whatever works for you. I see no need to spend hundreds of dollars and waiting 6 months for a holster that is probably not that much better than one for the fraction of the price. This cut does not make it less comfortable, the amount of leather that is needed to be cut is minimal. They probably just say that as a safety measure in case the 1 out of 100 people that it may not be comfortable for complains.

I second Rocky's work at Pure Kustom. I have one of his holsters and absolutely love it. I purchased a MTAC or CTAC for my 1911 and used it once and hate it. Now i carry every day in a Pure Kustom holster and I am far from a Snob of any kind. Also Rocky's wait time is like 2-3 weeks not months. If it where me I would call Rocky and tell him what i wanted bet he would help you out.
    Last edited by halfcrazy; January 2nd, 2010 at 08:10 PM.

I see what you all are saying. I owned a Supertuck and didnt like it. Yes Pure Kustom will make pretty much anything if you ask. You cant just visit the website and and think thats all a custom holster maker can do.

What I was trying to say before was if you can afford it, its worth the money in comfort, security, adjustably, and speed to own a custom holster. Not to mention the art work that goes into it. I carry concealed most of the time so the art work is more for me and not Joe Somebody. I teach and open carry at the range and people notice my custom holster.

If it works for you, great. Its like the guy that always asks about the gun belts. You dont know what you are missing until you try it. A good gun belt makes all the difference, if you never wore one before you dont know. Simple.

Like I said, something to think about.

Rockys turn around time is much shorter than most other custom makers too. Usually within a month. and if your wondering, no, I am not spelling it wrong. Its Pure Kustom with a "K" and no "s" on the end. (it makes him upset)

I combat cut mine for my G19 and love it. It took a while to get the leather rounded just right. I cut it a bit pointy and was getting poked. I have that solved now. I hear a lot about comfort, but I see nothing comfortable about tucking a nearly full size auto inside your waistband. You get used to it. And there is better and worse feel for holsters. If I wanted absolute comfort I would not carry the extra couple pounds the gun and ammo put on my belt. Since I won't do that, I'll get used to what I carry.

Links