In defense of others - Page 6

In defense of others

This is a discussion on In defense of others within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DaveH What would have been right for me in the situation of a young single Marine vs. what would have been right ...

View Poll Results: Would you use your gun in defense of others?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • My gun is used only for me and family

37 17.79%
  • I would defend a 3rd party if it was lawful

163 78.37%
  • I would only defend a 3rd party if they were a child

8 3.85%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: In defense of others

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    What would have been right for me in the situation of a young single Marine vs. what would have been right for me in the situation of a father with a family to support vs. what is now right for me in the situation of a old man differ.
    Very true. I certainly felt my feelings on the topic change over the years. And not too far in the future, after the kids are through college, I could see myself in the "self-sacrifice" mode again. But right now, the noble gesture is not worth the risk to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Whatever else is true, it's a sign that we've made it through 70+ posts without anyone outright calling another a coward,
    You must have missed Tubby45's post #13, though maybe he slides under the "outright" qualifier. His comment was more general and far-reaching, directed to all those who didn't hold the same opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    I'm not a LEO or a soldier. I don't get paid to fight and protect. I truly admire those who do and we're all forever in their debt - but it ain't my job.

IF I can help someone while assuring that
    I survive - I certainly will. Bottom line - I will come home to my family.
    Most of us don't do it for a paycheck...
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    You must have missed Tubby45's post #13, though maybe he slides under the "outright" qualifier. His comment was more general and far-reaching, directed to all those who didn't hold the same opinion.
    Ah, I did. Claims of cowardice at the 13th post. Hm.

Strange, how maintaining one's commitments of Duty and Responsibility to others in the face of a faceless current need is called a fearful response. To those making the choice it's most definitely a deeply-held sense of Duty and Responsibility to those we love. Fear and cowardice has little to do with it.

What of those to whom we already hold a Duty? Spouse and child, for example, in Lima/JD's case? Their lives are to be valued less because some new unnamed stranger has a current need somewhere within shouting distance? At worst, it's a juggling of the multiple levels of Duty and Responsibility we hold, determining relative value. One cannot be all things to everyone at all times, and one cannot maintain honor if one blindly discards existing Duty and Responsibility for the short-term problem of another. That decision must be weighed. It's a decision that is personal and has ramifications.

How do you know who's helpless and who is the victim? How do you know the person "in need" really isn't the bad guy on the receiving end of self-defense? How do you know whether or not you're walking into a beef between two very bad people?
    Exactly so. Blind devotion to the moment has destroyed more ultimate purpose than most anything in the existence of Man, I'd say. It's a fatal flaw in us, as a species, to willingly toss so much out the window with the bath water, so to speak. Having the strength to stand against blindness and use our intellect to discern when it's critical to act and worth acting is important, if what's important is worth holding onto. I'm all for helping ... just not blindly.

Whatever else is true, simply not weighing things the same as another would is hardly cowardice. It's simply different, given different Duty and Responsibility a person has. That's not cowardice. That's honor to the higher purpose, instead of slave to the moment at the expense of that purpose. And that's a decision nobody else can make.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What

Lima You said....
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Why should I risk my life and a future life with my family.. the happiness of my husband and son.. because someone didn't take the initiative to defend themselves?

Then you said......
    Yes, it would be great to see the "selfish" attitude of our society turn around but until it does I refuse to be a Lone Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam View Post
    Most of us don't do it for a paycheck...
    I have to agree. My dad was a police officer, he did it to wear a badge, a uniform, a gun, and most of all to feed his EGO. Heck, he would have done it for free.

it all depends on what is going on.

Then......
    If that makes me sound like a selfish person than so be it but I'd rather have a lifetime to look in the mirror and regret not acting on behalf of someone as opposed to missing the rest of my life with the people I love and who depend on me.
    Just a thought

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    These threads never end pretty.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    Ahh, the old ‘would you jump in’ if…? Poll question. Since I’ve run out of original responses to this rather common topic, I’ll just sorta quote myself (in part) from another thread. Frankly, none of the poll options really apply to me. My actions would be governed by circumstance rather than any pre-conceived personal policy. In the abstract, I don’t want to get involved unless I have to, although human emotions would inevitably override logic.

Most of my life I worked in the service of others, so it was always natural for me to jump right in. Today I’m older, less physically fit and hopefully a bit wiser. I have learned that people are far more brazen and unpredictable. Likewise, I’m armed, so any intervention on my part will place my gun in close proximity to whatever I volunteer to do...”

As such, the risks are high while the dividends are low. With my luck, I would save someone’s life while being considered a 'hero' and two-years later, that same 'someone' would turn around and sue me for mental anguish.
    Regards,

Daniel O.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I think some people here have taken the term self-defense to a form of selfish-defense when it should be selfless-defense. Just sayin ....
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by micahsrad View Post
    Then......

Just a thought
    Why do you feel the need to make multiple posts quoting someone and not come out with what's on your mind?

Answer: You are trying to twist words to make an ambiguous point while flaming the author of those posts....

The OP asked what would you do.... Not criticize what others would do.

I can only think it makes you feel better to denigrate others to push your views.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by micahsrad View Post
    Then......

Just a thought
    Yeah... I may be missing your point.

I said:
    Why should I risk my life and a future life with my family.. the happiness of my husband and son.. because someone didn't take the initiative to defend themselves?

Yes, it would be great to see the "selfish" attitude of our society turn around but until it does I refuse to be a Lone Ranger.

If that makes me sound like a selfish person than so be it but I'd rather have a lifetime to look in the mirror and regret not acting on behalf of someone as opposed to missing the rest of my life with the people I love and who depend on me.

Yep.. that's what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    I think some people here have taken the term self-defense to a form of selfish-defense when it should be selfless-defense.
    So, one's own children and family have less value than a random stranger, who will be one of a dozen on any given day in a sizable city that will be attacked that day? And a person's supposed to judge that way because guilt trips are forthcoming otherwise? By what standard is one's own child to be so valueless? Because others say so? Because that should be better that way?

Dictating terms by which others live their lives or how they value life is the thing done daily by autocratic masters in elected positions that so angers free citizens. Caution.

Having that ability is the essence of liberty. Having that erased is the absence of liberty. Be careful what you wish for.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links