Defensive Carry banner

Would you use your gun in defense of others?

• My gun is used only for me and family

Votes: 37 17.8%
  • I would defend a 3rd party if it was lawful

Votes: 163 78.4%
  • I would only defend a 3rd party if they were a child

Votes: 8 3.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.

In defense of others

9K views 126 replies 70 participants last post by  JD 
#1 ·
Using the "reasonable person" logic, are you willing to use your CCW or OC weapon in defense of others if you are watching a crime happen or unfold that would justify the use of a gun.

I don't want to hear you opinion on how foolish you think someone elses stand is, you can say why you would do what you would, but DON'T degrade others opinions on their course of action.

I would like to know what % of the forum members here would do what, so vote in the pole that comes closest to your beliefs.

Z

#2 ·
First, what poll?
Second, yes with out a doubt. One reason I carry. Before I joined this site my family and friends called me a sheepdog. I take it upon myself to think about what might happen to me or someone else including a perfect stranger that maybe they didnt think about. Like some helpless guy getting the crap beat out of him by 300lb linebacker trying to rob him. You bet I would defend him. I believe that is why I was put on this planet, to help those who need help.

#3 ·
Need a poll for this question. My answer is unequivocally yes. I would do it because I'm a proactive member of society who believes that wrongs that are witnessed shouldn't go without justice. My aim is not to kill but to stop the threat, and if that person is simply wounded but is still brought to justice, then my duties were fulfilled. I've stopped at accidents and even dragged a lady from her car. I didn't do it because I had to; I did it because she needed my help, and I was there to extend to her as much help as I could, within my capacity and knowledge.

#4 ·
I will vote when the poll comes up but for now I will say under the right circumstances I would use what I need to help a stranger.
By that I mean knowing enough about what is going on to know with certainty, I am justified in doing so.

#5 ·
In defense of others really could have so many variables that there cannot any tried and true answer, it would have to depend on the situation and the parties involved. Personally I would not know if I would get involved unless I could be assured that deadly force is the only course of action.

#7 ·
That is why I put the "reasonable person" line in the question. It would imply some thought process would happen before you pulled your gun. I understand some would never under any condition, and some will under certain conditions, just trying to get a idea of what the masses think.

Z

#6 ·
Adults have the same rights to defend themselves as I do and have the same responsibilities as well as the same capacity to understand as I do. It is their own fault they are unprepared. I have me and my own to look after and that sometimes means not getting involved.

However, we (individually and as a society) put different restrictions on children. They are too young to understand, comprehend, fight or possess the means of self-defense.

I would be willing to defend a child if at all possible.

#10 ·
I was waiting for this-----Not all adults have the right to defend themselves, some may have in a prior time of their life made 1 poor choice and now have a felony conviction that does not allow them to own a gun, so they may no longer have the option to defend themselves.

Z

#8 ·
Not if i did not know the circumstances totally. Example, driving down the road, see a guy pointing a gun at another, both look like scum, are you going to get involved? You need to know the players. In my little example, what if the guy with the gun was a plain clothes police officer and you just got involved?

For me, it is for my family, and those very close to me. IF I know the circumstances, I may get involved more than being a witness.

One way of protecting myself and my family, not getting into legal trouble because I made a mistake.

#9 ·
If it were the 1950's or maybe the 60's but now I prefer to just use
deadly force to protect me or my family. There are too many legal issues
with being a good citizen these days. People are lawsuit happy and it may
seem VERY harsh but I cant afford to get involved in a legal issue that could
cost me my financial freedom or career.

Not ruling it out 100% but I highly doubt I will come to the aid of a stranger,sorry.

#11 ·
Without a doubt in my mind i would use lethal force to help a fellow man. We are for the most part civilized human beings and should look after each other as best we can. To say that i would only protect my own family is merely selfish in nature.

#12 ·
Naturally... it depends.

There are times when I would instinctively and immediately defend a stranger and others where I would not get involved. Guess I'll just have to wait and see which is which! :wink:

#19 ·
How do you know who's helpless and who is the victim? How do you know the person "in need" really isn't the bad guy on the receiving end of self-defense? How do you know whether or not you're walking into a beef between two very bad people?

I'm sorry to say that not even the presence of a uniform depicts who's good and who's bad these days. Certainly, it's a safer bet that the uniformed guy on the street getting the skin kicked off him is the good guy rather than the other choices but it's still no guarantee.

And what if you are standing there with your child in your arms? What do you do? Tell the next person passing by to watch your kid while you go to some strangers aide? What about your own responsibility to your family? What about the safety of your child? If something should happen to you are you going to trust this random stranger to not abandon your child? What then?

I think you need to consider what you've said very carefully.

A brave man who rushes head-long into an unknown situation may save the day, but they may also leave a family behind to suffer for it.

A wise man picks his battles and comes home at the end of the day to a grateful family.

#17 ·
I dont think calling someone a coward is cool. If I make the choice NOT to carry a firearm to protect my life, thats my choice. I cant hold ANYONE liable for protecting me. I would love to help people but I do not have to do so. Its each persons choice. I wont call anyone a name for helping/not helping a "victim". Its all opinion. No person is right/wrong on the issue. Just throwing that out there.

#92 ·
I cannot truthfully choose any of your poll choices
The above line gives my view. With so many factors involved in making a decision to only defend family, or intervene in a 3rd party situation, it is simply foolish for me to try and give a definite answer to your poll. My signture line probably says it best for me. JMO

#23 ·
Defend myself and family only. I may choose to help out if I am in the mood that day, I know all the facts and who to help and don't put myself at more than minor risk. I have no duty to get involved either legally or ethically (my ethics not yours). I carry a self-defense weapon designed for close in use and that is what I practice for. I am not trained in anything else. I am not a sheep, a sheepdog or a wolf. I try to be a self-sufficient human, no more, no less.

#24 ·
I agree that we must judge our surroundings and avoid conflict by all means necessary. BUT, if i see someone in need of help and is being brutally attacked by someone else, i am going to help the best that i can. Maybe its because i have testosterone flowing through my veins, or maybe it was because i was a CO and you always have someone's back, regardless i am somewhat disappointed that someone of your nature and expertise would simply not interject to help. We all say it time and again that LE is minutes away but thats exactly what you're suggesting to wait for. I understand that just because we carry firearms doesnt mean we are civilian LE and that we should jump into anything, but we're talking about HELPING someone in dire need at THAT moment, not 5 minutes later.

#25 ·
No if, and,s or buts about it, I am my brother's keeper. If we don't all stand up against tyranny, bullies, or common thugs. they will continue to flourish.

I don't care about the consequences. I have to face my self in the mirror every morning.
Paladin: A defender or advocate of a noble cause.

#27 ·
When I first entered this thread, I thought that I knew what my poll choice would be. I thought for sure that I would defend strangers if needed. But reading everyone's posts has changed my opinion. I will save lethal force for me and my own.

Limatunes is absolutely right, we are required to judge in every situation we encounter. I don't want to be responsible for using lethal force on the good guy because I entered myself into a situation and judged wrong. I will call the police and be a good witness as well. But I do not want to accept the consequences (both legal and personal) in defense of someone I don't know and for a situation that I do not know.

#29 ·
And what happens when that good guy was actually a bad guy and he killed the victim, all with you a safe distance away. I'm sorry but i couldnt live with myself if I knew i could've possibly changed the outcome. Its all about what you do on this earth that reflects your legacy later on. Standing in the safe and watching is not exactly the honorable thing to do.

#28 ·
Yes, I'll help but with some serious conditions. If a friend were in trouble I'd of course jump into action. For a stranger it would need to be a clear-cut situation with near zero risk to me. I'm not getting killed for some stranger by an accomplice hiding around the corner, or going to jail because I chose to help the nicely-dressed drug dealer in his new car defend himself against the scruffy undercover cop.

#31 ·
If I can reasonably ascertain who the "real" victim is in any given situation and I am in position to help, I would certainly do so. I am also a father of two little girls...that would also impact my decision in any given situation. The victim could also be a father, mother, son, daughter, etc...I would hope someone would help me if they could. There are thousands of scenarios that could occur - I would hope that anyone with common sense could accurately judge 98% of those scenarios at first look. I, for one, would help if I could.

#36 ·
It depends on the situation, I'm retired Military, my whole career has been about helping people, but situations in the military are mostly cut and dry, it's different out here. It's not as clear all the time who is who or what is what, so all I can say is I'll do my best with what I have in respect to scenario, time, information and resources available.

#38 ·
You walk a fine legal line there. "Reasonable person", and SC adds "...what you believe the victim would do if they were armed..."

In a clear cut robbery situation - I might if I felt there was a good chance the BG would shoot the victim or if he turned the gun my way.

In a person with a gun pointed at another person - I'd be VERY, VERY careful.

Is the man holding a woman at gunpoint a potential rapist or someone defending himself against a prostitute trying to rob him with a knife or broken bottle? And if it's a domestic, you might very well find both parties turn on you.

Is the scruffily-dressed young man holding a business-suited older man at gunpoint in the alley a mugger or a plain clothes LEO making a bunko arrest?

In all cases, you'd better decide quickly and you'd better not be wrong.

LethalStang, Sleep well at night knowing that you will be judged by the only one that matters, for you are a good brother. I for one will help my fellow brother. Those of you that worry about law suits and such need to find your way.
I sleep well knowing I and my family are safe and knowing I am capable of defending all. I don't worry about lawsuits for I have found my way - the way of the survivor - regardless. I am not my brother's keeper, nor is he mine.

#39 · (Edited)
Well, I voted that I would help a third party, but it would come with a big, "It depends". Not being new to these situations, as a retired LEO, I would really have to know who was involved to some extent, before I'd get involved. For instance, the convenience store we go to 95% of the time, we've been going to for almost 20 years. I recognize and know all the clerks names. Most of them have been there for a few years, some of them more than 10. We probably go to that store 7-8 times a week. I wouldn't hesitate to intervene in an attempted robbery there, if needed.

I'm also smart enough not to go running blindly into a situation that I'm not sure of who the players are... That could end up being the biggest mistake of anyone's life. If you intervene and something goes wrong, no one is going to cut you any slack. The DA and grand jury isn't going to be sympathetic because "he was just trying to help". Neither is a civil judge and jury....

Of course, coming to the aid of a child would be a given. I think most folks would have a soft spot for a child in trouble...

So in reality, I'm with Lima on this one... I have found my way and made peace with the one who matters and sleep well at night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.