In defense of others

This is a discussion on In defense of others within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing (not exact quote but it gets my point across) Calling ...

View Poll Results: Would you use your gun in defense of others?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • My gun is used only for me and family

37 17.79%
  • I would defend a 3rd party if it was lawful

163 78.37%
  • I would only defend a 3rd party if they were a child

8 3.85%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: In defense of others

pax
    All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing (not exact quote but it gets my point across)
    Calling the police isn't "doing nothing." Writing down license plate numbers isn't "doing nothing." Shepherding others to a safe haven is not "doing nothing." Watchfully being prepared to act if the situation escalates is not "doing nothing." testifying in court and identifying the criminal to the authorities is not "doing nothing."

There are many actions a good and honorable person might take that do not require the use of a firearm, and those actions are not "doing nothing."

Only doing nothing is doing nothing.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    We each must live with ourselves and what we would do. I can't say someone elses view is better then mine or worse, it's just theirs.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I'm in complete agreement with limatunes' philosophy.

I have been involved in three "interventions" over the years (none involving lethal force) and have the scars from two of them as constant reminders. It's going to be a VERY dire, and clear cut, situation for me to physically do so again, especially if it involves the use of lethal force.

If this seems cowardly or unfeeling to some of the membership here, that's their problem, not mine. I am under no obligation to please anyone but myself and my family with my decision(s).
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    I think some people here have taken the term self-defense to a form of selfish-defense when it should be selfless-defense. Just sayin ....
    And some here think that just cause the carry a "self"defense tool (ie: a gun), they need to be

Might Mouse (Here I come to save the day!)

Rambo

or

Chuck Norris

Just sayin...
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Too vague a question...

But generally, I don't get involved in other people's issues.

3rd party defense

I would for sure do everything I can to stop a crime presuming that my family was not with me or I thought police were to far away. I myself am a LEO. I am expected to get involved. But I also believe in the saying. All that is needed for evil to prevail, is for good people to do nothing.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    And some here think that just cause the carry a "self"defense tool (ie: a gun), they need to be

Might Mouse (Here I come to save the day!)

Rambo

or

Chuck Norris

Just sayin...
    If you go back and re-read one of my earlier posts in this thread, i said how i feel about this exact thing you write. I in know way even remotely portrayed myself as some kind of Rambo or Mighty Mouse, I said i would help someone in extreme need at that particular moment and do whats right for our fellow mankind. Everyone here who is so concerned and worried about consequenses just doesnt get what im saying. Act now and worry about the consequenses later because if you wait the exact person in danger may be dead. I cant believe im about the only one here who feels this way, maybe i just need to be a little more cold and not so nice anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I use to ride on patrol with a sheriff's deputy buddy; I was riding when we got the call to go to a rural residence where a hysterical young woman had shown up beaten and naked.

I sat through the initial interview where she described being grabbed in the mall parking lot as she left after work; taken to a dead end road where she was beaten, raped and sexually tortured by 5 men for several hours.

I don't think I am capable of standing by if I saw another young woman being dragged into a van.

All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing (not exact quote but it gets my point across)
    I know how you feel if I saw someone dragging a girl into a van I would not give a second thought to helping them. If I have no other option I will be doing whatever it takes to save the persons life even at the cost of my own, I could not live with myself if I stood by and let something like that happen to another person. Probably this inner feeling is what is driving me towards Law Enforcement as a career because I want to help people.
    Last edited by Thegear234; January 2nd, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

Limatunes is the smartest mod on this site and there is nothing I could add to her post so
    Plus1 and i'm done

pax
    Everyone here who is so concerned and worried about consequenses just doesnt get what im saying. Act now and worry about the consequenses later because if you wait the exact person in danger may be dead.
    There is a strong possibility that you might kill the wrong person when you jump in without concern for the consequences.

Those who intend to jump in, no matter what, without any concern for possible consequences and without taking time to think should at least get some training. After all, if it's a clean kill, at least the innocent person won't suffer for long when you shoot them in error.

*shudder*

Seriously, guys. Don't get too tangled up in assigning malignant and malevolent motives to people who don't agree with you on this one. Not everyone who sounds a note of caution here is a pansy or a coward; not everyone who says they'll jump in is a fool or a braggart.

Those who say they'll jump in are nearly all honorable, upstanding people -- even the ones who come across as Mighty Mouse, even the ones who clearly have just barely begun to think about such issues, even the ones who are a bit abrasive in their opinions.

Similarly, those who say they'll take care of their duties and responsibilities to their own families first are also honorable and upstanding people -- even the ones who frame it in terms that cause others to cringe.

As for me, my only point is that whatever you decide to do, you'd dirty-word better

1) understand exactly what is happening, and
    2) be physically able to carry it off.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

There is a strong possibility that you might kill the wrong person when you jump in without concern for the consequences.
    Nah, don't you know you're talking to the elite "sheepdog squad" they'd never do anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Not if i did not know the circumstances totally. Example, driving down the road, see a guy pointing a gun at another, both look like scum, are you going to get involved? You need to know the players. In my little example, what if the guy with the gun was a plain clothes police officer and you just got involved?

For me, it is for my family, and those very close to me. IF I know the circumstances, I may get involved more than being a witness.

One way of protecting myself and my family, not getting into legal trouble because I made a mistake.
    This about sums up how I feel about the question asked.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Nah, don't you know you're talking to the elite "sheepdog squad" they'd never do anything like that
    Your label, not mine. I also said ealier that i would not go in guns brandished and blazing, i would go in looking to stop the attack with whatever means necessary, be my hands, stick, or gun. I think some people here cant stand up for themselves and what they believe in so they ride the wagon with everyone else so they dont get ridiculed in a public forum. I will not "play it safe" in terms of helping someone because im worried i might offend a jury and do a little time. Bigger people are watching us everyday than anybody here on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Mic
    Yes! I have and would again, some are just helpless on their own and some situations need help.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

VIP Member

**********warning**********

The OP asked that this thread not be a debate on one person's choice versus another person's choice. It has become that at this time.

Several people involved in this thread are dangerously close or have crossed the line in violating the forum rule prohibiting personal attacks. I am currently evaluating with staff what actions will be taken.

It gets back on track or it gets closed.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links