In defense of others

This is a discussion on In defense of others within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Using the "reasonable person" logic, are you willing to use your CCW or OC weapon in defense of others if you are watching a crime ...

View Poll Results: Would you use your gun in defense of others?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • My gun is used only for me and family

37 17.79%
  • I would defend a 3rd party if it was lawful

163 78.37%
  • I would only defend a 3rd party if they were a child

8 3.85%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In defense of others

Distinguished Member

In defense of others

Using the "reasonable person" logic, are you willing to use your CCW or OC weapon in defense of others if you are watching a crime happen or unfold that would justify the use of a gun.

I don't want to hear you opinion on how foolish you think someone elses stand is, you can say why you would do what you would, but DON'T degrade others opinions on their course of action.

I would like to know what % of the forum members here would do what, so vote in the pole that comes closest to your beliefs.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

2. Remove Ads

First, what poll?
    Second, yes with out a doubt. One reason I carry. Before I joined this site my family and friends called me a sheepdog. I take it upon myself to think about what might happen to me or someone else including a perfect stranger that maybe they didnt think about. Like some helpless guy getting the crap beat out of him by 300lb linebacker trying to rob him. You bet I would defend him. I believe that is why I was put on this planet, to help those who need help.

Need a poll for this question. My answer is unequivocally yes. I would do it because I'm a proactive member of society who believes that wrongs that are witnessed shouldn't go without justice. My aim is not to kill but to stop the threat, and if that person is simply wounded but is still brought to justice, then my duties were fulfilled. I've stopped at accidents and even dragged a lady from her car. I didn't do it because I had to; I did it because she needed my help, and I was there to extend to her as much help as I could, within my capacity and knowledge.

I will vote when the poll comes up but for now I will say under the right circumstances I would use what I need to help a stranger.
    By that I mean knowing enough about what is going on to know with certainty, I am justified in doing so.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    In defense of others really could have so many variables that there cannot any tried and true answer, it would have to depend on the situation and the parties involved. Personally I would not know if I would get involved unless I could be assured that deadly force is the only course of action.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Adults have the same rights to defend themselves as I do and have the same responsibilities as well as the same capacity to understand as I do. It is their own fault they are unprepared. I have me and my own to look after and that sometimes means not getting involved.

However, we (individually and as a society) put different restrictions on children. They are too young to understand, comprehend, fight or possess the means of self-defense.

I would be willing to defend a child if at all possible.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    In defense of others really could have so many variables that there cannot any tried and true answer, it would have to depend on the situation and the parties involved. Personally I would not know if I would get involved unless I could be assured that deadly force is the only course of action.
    That is why I put the "reasonable person" line in the question. It would imply some thought process would happen before you pulled your gun. I understand some would never under any condition, and some will under certain conditions, just trying to get a idea of what the masses think.

Z

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Not if i did not know the circumstances totally. Example, driving down the road, see a guy pointing a gun at another, both look like scum, are you going to get involved? You need to know the players. In my little example, what if the guy with the gun was a plain clothes police officer and you just got involved?

For me, it is for my family, and those very close to me. IF I know the circumstances, I may get involved more than being a witness.

One way of protecting myself and my family, not getting into legal trouble because I made a mistake.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

If it were the 1950's or maybe the 60's but now I prefer to just use
    deadly force to protect me or my family. There are too many legal issues
    with being a good citizen these days. People are lawsuit happy and it may
    seem VERY harsh but I cant afford to get involved in a legal issue that could
    cost me my financial freedom or career.

Not ruling it out 100% but I highly doubt I will come to the aid of a stranger,sorry.
    Ruger P345, S&W 637
    SKS, Ruger 1022
    Two Fist

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Adults have the same rights to defend themselves as I do and have the same responsibilities as well as the same capacity to understand as I do. It is their own fault they are unprepared. I have me and my own to look after and that sometimes means not getting involved.

However, we (individually and as a society) put different restrictions on children. They are too young to understand, comprehend, fight or possess the means of self-defense.

I would be willing to defend a child if at all possible.
    I was waiting for this-----Not all adults have the right to defend themselves, some may have in a prior time of their life made 1 poor choice and now have a felony conviction that does not allow them to own a gun, so they may no longer have the option to defend themselves.

Z

Without a doubt in my mind i would use lethal force to help a fellow man. We are for the most part civilized human beings and should look after each other as best we can. To say that i would only protect my own family is merely selfish in nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Naturally... it depends.

There are times when I would instinctively and immediately defend a stranger and others where I would not get involved. Guess I'll just have to wait and see which is which!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Only a coward watches a helpless victim suffer.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    I was waiting for this-----Not all adults have the right to defend themselves, some may have in a prior time of their life made 1 poor choice and now have a felony conviction that does not allow them to own a gun, so they may no longer have the option to defend themselves.

Z
    Then it's their own fault for doing something criminally that bars them from having the same rights to carry as me.

However, they still have the same rights to defend themselves no matter what they've done. They can still do hand-to-hand defense and execute the same caution and awareness that I do. There's nothing that says they have to stand there and take it just because they once committed an offense that bars them from carrying a defensive tool.

I also have no idea if the adult in the confrontation has it coming to them or not. I'd hate to "rescue" someone only to find out he was getting beat up for raping some guy's sister.

Yes, while children can also be little pills and are certainly capable or wrong, if I see someone beating on a ten year old kid or dragging a 12 year old girl down the street by her hair, or worse, I think it's a safer bet that he or she didn't do anything too horrible to warrant such treatment.

As I said, we hold children to a different standard by limiting them in their defensive means. That and.. they are children.. they can't always fight for themselves.

LEO's for sure. The rest, it would depend upon the situation.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links