Carrying someone else's handgun?

This is a discussion on Carrying someone else's handgun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand that in Indiana one must have a CCW in order to carry a handgun. Does this firearm have to belong to the carrier? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying someone else's handgun?

Carrying someone else's handgun?

I understand that in Indiana one must have a CCW in order to carry a handgun. Does this firearm have to belong to the carrier? Or can the carrier borrow a handgun from a friend or relative? A situation may be that one person (who is licensed to carry) is borrowing a particular pistol from a friend in order to see how it feels to carry all day before buying one for themselves. Would this be legal? Have any of you heard about this or thought about it?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While some states do restrict you to specific weapons you are allowed to carry (as in make and model listed on your permit), to the best of my knowledge Indiana does not restrict what weapon you can carry. My 2 sons both live in Indiana and have their permits, and have carried the others weapon before.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Archer about summed it up: It depends on your particular state's rules. For instance, here in TN there is no specification. If you have an HCP, you can carry any handgun.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

That is a state specific question, here in NY it has to be listed on your permit to possess it. You will have to check Indiana laws to be sure.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    That is a state specific question...You will have to check Indiana laws to be sure.
    +1

In addition, "can you" and "should you" are two important considerations.

For example, in MI it would be legal for me to carry my wife's pistols (we both have a CC permit). We very (very) rarely do this (from time to time we do on our way into a range).

One reason, if used in a SD situation, or just during a traffic stop, one less thing to explain.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

You are good to go as long as the handgun is legally in your possesion. This is stated on your Indiana LTCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    +1

In addition, "can you" and "should you" are two important considerations.

For example, in MI it would be legal for me to carry my wife's pistols (we both have a CC permit). We very (very) rarely do this (from time to time we do on our way into a range).

One reason, if used in a SD situation, or just during a traffic stop, one less thing to explain.
    In Ohio, there's absolutely no restriction on the specific handgun carried, its ownership or the quantity.

In Ohio, there's nothing to "explain". You have a valid CHL (or recognized out of state equivalent) and you're carrying a firearm where you're permitted to. End of story. There's no state or local registration, so they wouldn't know who owned a particular gun in the first place.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    In Ohio, there's absolutely no restriction on the specific handgun carried, its ownership or the quantity.

In Ohio, there's nothing to "explain". You have a valid CHL (or recognized out of state equivalent) and you're carrying a firearm where you're permitted to. End of story. There's no state or local registration, so they wouldn't know who owned a particular gun in the first place.
    Thats mostly correct, but some cities in Ohio do have registration. The funny thing is, it can't be enforced due to the statutes being illegal. Just one of the goofy things about Ohio.

But, I believe the question was for Indiana anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    That is a state specific question, here in NY it has to be listed on your permit to possess it. You will have to check Indiana laws to be sure.
    So, if you go out and purchase a new handgun, you need to go have your permit updated to reflect that new weapon prior to carrying it?

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    So, if you go out and purchase a new handgun, you need to go have your permit updated to reflect that new weapon prior to carrying it?
    Correct.... You must have it added before you can even pick it up from the dealer or private seller.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Having lived my entire life in Michigan and Ohio, I have to say Ohio gun laws, in general, are definitely easier to live with when compared to neighboring states.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats mostly correct, but some cities in Ohio do have registration. The funny thing is, it can't be enforced due to the statutes being illegal. Just one of the goofy things about Ohio.

But, I believe the question was for Indiana anyway.
    That's hardly an Ohio problem though. Lots of jurisdictions have obsolete or unconstitutional statutes that they never bothered to repeal, knowing that they can't be lawfully enforced anyway. I'll bet that if you go through the state and local ordinances across the south, you'll find plenty of things that would make David Duke feel all tingly "down there", notwithstanding the fact that they might currently have Black mayors or governors. It's like a "restrictive covenant" in a deed. You can have anything in there you want. It doesn't mean squat if it violates law or the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound94 View Post
    Having lived my entire life in Michigan and Ohio, I have to say Ohio gun laws, in general, are definitely easier to live with when compared to neighboring states.
    And getting easier all of the time.

I expect restaurant carry (carry in a liquor serving restaurant when NOT drinking) to pass in the next year or so. It'll make life a WHOLE lot easier for me.

Next, we need to get rid of notification.

Here In Ky you can carry anything. Switch blades, brass knuckles , nun-chucks and any pistol you want.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I don't know about the legallities but I wouldn't feel comfortable W/ someone else's gun.

I don't like borrowing hand tools either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links