Traveling to Atlanta

Traveling to Atlanta

This is a discussion on Traveling to Atlanta within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be traveling to Atlanta in March to attend a convention. Can anyone tell me if it's legal to carry concealed downtown and also if ...

Thread: Traveling to Atlanta

Traveling to Atlanta

I'll be traveling to Atlanta in March to attend a convention. Can anyone tell me if it's legal to carry concealed downtown and also if it's legal to carry while traveling on the MARTA?

Thanks,

AL

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Don't quote me, but I think carrying on MARTA is a no-no. Seems I saw some big controversy on that. I don't nwo if GA respects NC CCW or not, Fl does. But I do beileve you can keep a loaded firearm in your car regardless. Best to get on some GA websites that cover that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

To start with, I was wondering what you did wrong to be sentanced to going to Atlanta!

Try this link.

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

Georgia carry laws are so messed up you are just about on your own.

North Carolina does have reciprocity with Georgia.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

Quote Originally Posted by gaowlpoop View Post
    To start with, I was wondering what you did wrong to be sentanced to going to Atlanta!

Try this link.

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

Georgia carry laws are so messed up you are just about on your own.

North Carolina does have reciprocity with Georgia.
    HaHa!

I used to go there at least 3 times a year and spend about a week downtown before moving on to another training location in Ga. In my previous postilion I could not carry my weapon but this trip is a personal trip for our business so I'm definitely carrying.

So far it looks like carrying downtown is no problem. I'm still researching the MARTA though as there seems to be a lawsuit ongoing as we speak about a guy who was stopped and searched when he stepped onto MARTA property with a weapon.

Well it looks like overall in GA I can carry on public transportation but I'm still researching the Atlanta MARTA to cover my rear end.

Carrying deadly weapons on public transportation: Except for those with a valid license to carry, it is a felony offense to carry a deadly weapon onto a commercial airline, rail vehicle, or bus. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any privately owned aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle if the owner of such aircraft or vehicle has given his or her express permission to board the aircraft or vehicle with the item. Carrying into a public building that houses the public transportation is also ok if you have a valid license to carry. In order to carry on a commercial airline, the firearm must be unloaded lock in a case and separate from its ammunition and checked in with the transportation company. It is still against Federal Law to carry a firearm into the secure areas (Past the TSA metal detectors) of the airport(16-12-123, 16-12-127)

EDIT: Looks like I'm good to go. It seems that Atlanta enacted a law a little over a year ago allowing carry on the MARTA. Guess what, crime actually dropped (IMAGINE THAT). :)

you can carry on MARTA but if spotted expect to be detained.... as for right now they have one the civil lawsuit filed by GCO...although the court was silent about what would happen if the person was OC maybe they couldnt stop you...no idea

Also Atlanta will arrest you for airport carry even though its legal to do so....

you can carry downtown as long as it isnt a Public Gathering....church,govt buildings,political rallies and bars along with sport events and anything else that a cop wants to claim one is.... i have OCed in atlanta no problem and CCed no problem.....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    you can carry on MARTA but if spotted expect to be detained.... as for right now they have one the civil lawsuit filed by GCO...although the court was silent about what would happen if the person was OC maybe they couldnt stop you...no idea

Also Atlanta will arrest you for airport carry even though its legal to do so....

you can carry downtown as long as it isnt a Public Gathering....church,govt buildings,political rallies and bars along with sport events and anything else that a cop wants to claim one is.... i have OCed in atlanta no problem and CCed no problem.....
    This is the correct answer.

Keep it covered especially on MARTA and you'll be fine.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I think I know this MARTA. Isn't she a big fat ugly blond broad with a real nice smile?

That's what I figured.

Unfortunately from the wording I'm not sure if is legal for me to carry while attending the function (franchisee convention). The thing that confuses me is the wording "events where the general public gather".

While the general public will not have access to the convention activities I'm not sure if the franchisees would be considered "General Public" in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by alelks View Post
    That's what I figured.

Unfortunately from the wording I'm not sure if is legal for me to carry while attending the function (franchisee convention). The thing that confuses me is the wording "events where the general public gather".

While the general public will not have access to the convention activities I'm not sure if the franchisees would be considered "General Public" in this instance.
    its doesnt sound like a public gathering....but the only place that is definitely legal in GA is McDonalds according to current case law......

GCO members carried to our convention and it wasnt a P.G. because the general public wasnt invited fwiw... IANAL.... ymmv

personally id carry concealed and say nothing
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

A "convention" would be considered a public gathering (PG) if it's open to the general public. Like Doc and rmodel stated, keep it covered and you'll be just fine. The only advice I can add is pay attention to where your at and know where your going. Have a plan if your in doubt of the legality where you'll be carrying.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If i remember correctly there is a sign in every marta car that says no weapons. Under it it says except license holders. That was about 2 years ago though...

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    If i remember correctly there is a sign in every marta car that says no weapons. Under it it says except license holders. That was about 2 years ago though...

carrying concealed is a what the Fed Judge said abotu carrying on MARTA Concealed....
    A person commits the [crime] of
    carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person,
    outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without
    having on his person a valid license . . . . O.C.G.A. 16-11-128(a) (emphasis
    added). Those cases are, therefore, not relevant to the crime of boarding with a
    concealed weapon or the crime of carrying a concealed weapon.
    Because a Georgia firearms license is an affirmative defense to the crime of
    boarding with a concealed weapon and the crime of carrying a concealed weapon, it
    does not matter if there was no reason to suspect that Raissi did not have a Georgia
    firearms license. After Raissi concealed his handgun and started walking toward the
    MARTA station, he had committed all of the acts required for the crime of boarding
    with a concealed weapon and the crime of carrying a concealed weapon. Officer
    Nicholas saw this happen. The officers were not then required to explore and
    eliminate every theoretically plausible claim of innocence, including affirmative
    defenses, before making an investigative stop of Raissi.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

You're good to go in Atlanta and the metro area, although metro area is less restrictive. MARTA Security (read "not smart enough to be a real LEO") are VERY power hungry and will detain and question anyone with a firearm, that's not a gang member. See pending lawsuit with GCO. Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news has lots of info, I'm a member and not biased.
    Mykel

more later...

I just got back from a trip to Acworth/Atlanta. Because of CCW advice on this forum, me being from Ohio, I separated my Kel-Tec from those two loaded magazines, putting the pistol inside the trunk of the car to keep me legal, before crossing the Tennessee border. I regret that Ohio and Georgia have this CCW ******* contest, during which out-of-state people may be pestered and arrested by police, and maybe even prosecuted later.

Sponsored Links