Defensive Carry banner

Moving to CCW state

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  moderatetennessean 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of moving from WI to a state that allows CCW. looking at CO, ID, TX, and AZ as possibilities. Is it hard for a person who moves to one of those states to get a permit right away? What are rules on guns in vehicles? Anyone from those states have any input on these issues, also any recommendations on any nice rural areas in those states for outdoor shooting?

#4 ·
45ACP4ever said:
I'm thinking of moving from WI to a state that allows CCW. looking at CO, ID, TX, and AZ as possibilities. Is it hard for a person who moves to one of those states to get a permit right away? That would depend on the state and it's rules! I believe that (Missouri) the state I live in is a six month waiting period.

What are rules on guns in vehicles? Again state to state! Missouri, you can carry concealed in your car without a CHL but I am pretty sure? you must be a resident of the state first.

Anyone from those states have any input on these issues, also any recommendations on any nice rural areas in those states for outdoor shooting? Not really, as I don't live in those states you are wanting info on. But there is a lot of desert in AZ that you can shoot up:hand10:

Ti.

#9 ·
Again state to state! Missouri, you can carry concealed in your car without a CHL but I am pretty sure? you must be a resident of the state first.
NEGITIVE on needing to be a resident to car carry in Missouri....ANYONE (non-prohibited person) over 21 can carry a firearm anywhere in the vehicle.

As a born Hoosier (and will be again before I die) check out Indiana...except for Vermont and Alaska probably the CCW friendlest state in the country, now issueing LIFETIME CCW permits, no posting BS, carry just about anywhere.

#10 ·
Arizona is also a 'shall issue' state. It does require an 8 hour initial training course. Part of it is class room, and the rest is shooting at the range. Overall, it was pretty easy. The CCW arrived about 2 weeks later in the mail.

Here's a link to the state site: http://www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/

#11 ·
MI is cool. Shall issue. Resident 6 months. We have pistol registration though. I moved from Green Bay to the UP a year ago for CCW.

Definately check out Indiana. AZ would be next on my list. If I move from MI, I will go either AZ or NM.

#12 ·
I'd pick VT or AK, if you're moving just for CCW (and you don't mind snow)

As stated above, MO allows you to carrry in vehicle as long as you own the gun legally and are over the age of 21. CCW requires 6 months residency, 23 years of age, 8 hours of training, and $100.

The real bummer in MO is the 'Permit to Aquire' law, gotta go ask pretty please at the sheriff's office, pay him $10, and, depending on the county, wait up to 7 days for the 'right' to purchase a handgun. I'm one of the lucky ones, it takes about 10 minutes to get a permit, but it's still a trip to the sheriff's office and $10 each time.

#13 ·
Thank you all very much for the info, keep it coming. I think Idaho is a def possibility, MI UP is also up there because it's close to home, cmidkiff you must not be familiar with WI because we get a good deal of snow! Exactly what is 'shall issue'? I'm not entirely clear on that?

#14 ·
#15 ·
Idaho has some of the most lenient gun laws that I've found. It doesn't take much to get a permit and the carry laws aren't restrictive at all for the average Joe. Unless you spend alot of time in jails, courthouses, and schools, you'll be able to carry anywhere.

#16 ·
45ACP4ever said:
Exactly what is 'shall issue'? I'm not entirely clear on that?
Shall issue states are states where the law requires the state to issue a CC permit to any person who meets the qualifications. Usually there is a background check, fingerprints, and class requirement. If you are not barred from having a permit due to felony conviction or other barring problem and have passed the required class the state will issue you a permit. The other type of state is the "may issue". These states usually leave the actual determination of whether to issue or not up to the sheriff. Of course the problems with this are you may have an anti-gun sheriff who won't issue to anyone or you may have a personal conflict with the sheriff and he might refuse to issue to you. Alabama is may issue. We don't have much problem getting permits however because if you pass the background check the sheriff is only too happy to accept your money. This is not necessarily true in other may issue states.

I am hoping that our legislature will change our state to shall issue during their next session. Certain shall issue states also have set up their own background check system for the purchase of guns. You simply show your permit and there is not additional background check. The state of Washington has a 5 day waiting period before you can pick up a gun you purchase unless you have a CC permit. With the permit you can pick up the gun immediately.

#17 ·
45ACP4ever said:
MI UP is also up there because it's close to home, cmidkiff you must not be familiar with WI because we get a good deal of snow!

Crystal Falls is a nice area. You don't have to go as far north as I am.

I know all about WI. I was born in Oshkosh, lived in the 'state' of Milwaukee, and lived in Green Bay for 11 years. Moved up to the UP a year ago February. Oh, yeah. My county got 294" of snow.

Also if you hunt, gun season up in MI is 16 days compared to the measly 9 day WI gun season. Bear hunting is awesome.

For MI, we are shall issue, which means you meet the requirements, they have to give you a permit. Training is mandatory 8 hours usually costs $100. The permit itself is $105 for 5 years. Fingerprints are required. Most sheriffs don't charge $15, mostly downstate near Detroit.

#18 ·
freakshow, is Crystal Falls a big place? looking for more rural area to live, I've only visited UP a few times, but it is nice. Good info thanks. By the way I live in Appleton, its nice to hear from another Wisconsinite around here.

#19 ·
Hey cool. Fox Cities are great!! Crystal Falls is a couple thousand people, like maybe 2-4000. Going north on 141, it is about 14 miles north of the WI-MI border, just north of Florence, WI. Crystal Falls is about 2 hours north of Green Bay.

Escanaba (50mi NW of Marinette-Menominee) and Iron Mountain are just over the border too. Escanaba is a little liberal. Menominee is OK, just north of Marinette, WI.

The Marquette-Negaunee-Ishpeming area is nice too, that's where Gander Mtn is:). Marquette is about the size of De Pere, about 17-18,000. Probably more than you are looking for. There are some small towns along the way to either me or Marquette area. Marquette is about an hour and a half from Iron Mountain. Take 95 north out of Iron Mtn and then take 41/28 east to Marquette. Munising is on the eastern side of Marquette, about another 45 minutes away. Don't know about them, little bigger but much smaller than Marquette.

Most of the western and western-central UP is rural. The "bigger" industrial or metro areas are Marquette, Houghton-Hancock, and Escanaba areas. Houghton-Hancock area might have 8000 with MI Tech students included.

Most of the west central UP between 45 North and 95 North is all state forest land used for logging. Not much there. Ironwood is out by Hurley, WI.

My mailing address is Calumet, but actually about 6 miles from town. My closest neighbor is 300 yards away through 200 yards of hardwoods. I am right on Lake Superior. Most of the UP is like that. Don't like lots of people? Move 10 miles from town and you will be all set.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

#21 ·
If you have some kind of occupation that will land a job in KY it's a great state. Very gun friendly and the legislature is working on making laws that make sense (passed castle doctrine and all that). The courts already upheld them, so they are making it a law so it doesn't become a problem later. It's a beautiful place as well.

I think you'd have to wait the 6 monthes to be a resident, but you are allowed to carry in your car (glovebox, doesn't have to be locked) without it. Plain view is also okay.

You have to take a class (8 hours) and it costs 60 bucks for the permit (5 years). 65 dollars if you don't have a picture, they'll take it for you there. No fingerprinting. You also get the benefit of all weather, hot and snow. Our drinking water is worth calling such and KY women have to be in the running for most beautiful in the nation. :)

#22 ·
Colorado has pretty good firearm laws. Anywhere in the state outside Denver (ongoing legal battle), anyone can have an accessible loaded pistol in the car, permit not necessary.

Other highlights:
-for purchasing pistol, the in-store background check takes only 10 or 20 minutes
-permits are "shall issue"
-good "castle doctrine" law
-no carry restrictions in bars or restaurants with liquor licenses.

#23 ·
In Texas to get your CCW license it takes a full day (8 hours) of classroom instruction and range time. Obviously there are certain background check requirements.

I believe rifles can be carried in vehicles plain view without a license. Handguns must be concealed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.