Moving to CCW state

Moving to CCW state

This is a discussion on Moving to CCW state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of moving from WI to a state that allows CCW. looking at CO, ID, TX, and AZ as possibilities. Is it hard for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to CCW state

Lightbulb Moving to CCW state

I'm thinking of moving from WI to a state that allows CCW. looking at CO, ID, TX, and AZ as possibilities. Is it hard for a person who moves to one of those states to get a permit right away? What are rules on guns in vehicles? Anyone from those states have any input on these issues, also any recommendations on any nice rural areas in those states for outdoor shooting?
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Why

Why not just apply now as out of state. Have it b4 u move!

Come on over to Idaho, We'll take ya. Not sure there is a wait, but very gun friendly state.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever
    I'm thinking of moving from WI to a state that allows CCW. looking at CO, ID, TX, and AZ as possibilities. Is it hard for a person who moves to one of those states to get a permit right away? That would depend on the state and it's rules! I believe that (Missouri) the state I live in is a six month waiting period.

What are rules on guns in vehicles? Again state to state! Missouri, you can carry concealed in your car without a CHL but I am pretty sure? you must be a resident of the state first.

Anyone from those states have any input on these issues, also any recommendations on any nice rural areas in those states for outdoor shooting? Not really, as I don't live in those states you are wanting info on. But there is a lot of desert in AZ that you can shoot up

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If you do decide to relocate,do us all a favor and let WI know why you moved.--------

Hello did sombody say Minnesota.Move next door.merlin45kout

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Most states require a period of time to meet residency requirements, usually six months but there may be exceptions if you already have a non-res permit. Make sure to check out the employment situation first as it's getting sticky everywhere.

Not sure there is a wait, but very gun friendly state.
    Idaho has no wait - nor any distinction between resident and non-resident permits in issuing. You can apply on your very first visit to the state, but the catch is you have to be in the state to receive it when it's approved.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Again state to state! Missouri, you can carry concealed in your car without a CHL but I am pretty sure? you must be a resident of the state first.
    NEGITIVE on needing to be a resident to car carry in Missouri....ANYONE (non-prohibited person) over 21 can carry a firearm anywhere in the vehicle.

As a born Hoosier (and will be again before I die) check out Indiana...except for Vermont and Alaska probably the CCW friendlest state in the country, now issueing LIFETIME CCW permits, no posting BS, carry just about anywhere.

Arizona is also a 'shall issue' state. It does require an 8 hour initial training course. Part of it is class room, and the rest is shooting at the range. Overall, it was pretty easy. The CCW arrived about 2 weeks later in the mail.

Here's a link to the state site: http://www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

MI is cool. Shall issue. Resident 6 months. We have pistol registration though. I moved from Green Bay to the UP a year ago for CCW.

Definately check out Indiana. AZ would be next on my list. If I move from MI, I will go either AZ or NM.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I'd pick VT or AK, if you're moving just for CCW (and you don't mind snow)

As stated above, MO allows you to carrry in vehicle as long as you own the gun legally and are over the age of 21. CCW requires 6 months residency, 23 years of age, 8 hours of training, and $100.

The real bummer in MO is the 'Permit to Aquire' law, gotta go ask pretty please at the sheriff's office, pay him $10, and, depending on the county, wait up to 7 days for the 'right' to purchase a handgun. I'm one of the lucky ones, it takes about 10 minutes to get a permit, but it's still a trip to the sheriff's office and $10 each time.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Thank you all very much for the info, keep it coming. I think Idaho is a def possibility, MI UP is also up there because it's close to home, cmidkiff you must not be familiar with WI because we get a good deal of snow! Exactly what is 'shall issue'? I'm not entirely clear on that?
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

www.packing.org is a great resource for state laws and requirements. In Texas, I don't think there is a residency requirement before being eligible to apply, but you can check at packing.org and at the Texas Department of Public Safety: (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis.../chlsindex.htm)

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Idaho has some of the most lenient gun laws that I've found. It doesn't take much to get a permit and the carry laws aren't restrictive at all for the average Joe. Unless you spend alot of time in jails, courthouses, and schools, you'll be able to carry anywhere.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links